What is the point of Beefalo Riding feature even?

4 hours ago, Desblat said:

I wonder why invest time in useless feature.
You waste time=money and bring nothing to game. Why would you LOL

uhh, then WHY are you asking for the feature you deemed useless and waste of time and effort to be put in other DLCs?

I feel like your just here to rant rather then give any ideas to make the feature better and possibly compatible with other DLCs.

It feels like a buff to Wendy and Wes. They benefit the most from having an Ornery Beefalo because of their twig-arms, and the beefs help them reach Dark Sword levels of damage without sacrificing HP or Speed.

For everybody else it's there for the same reason people make pens for Sharkittens; cute pets to pass the days with.

On 12.03.2019 at 7:45 PM, MWY said:

uhh, then WHY are you asking for the feature you deemed useless and waste of time and effort to be put in other DLCs?

I feel like your just here to rant rather then give any ideas to make the feature better and possibly compatible with other DLCs.

I told what to do lol

1) Bring beefalo to Hamlet, they obviously can't go to ruins or other islands, but they might have other uses. Like you ignore hay fever and heavy fog riding them.

2) Make tamed beefalos overall more powerfull, allow them to break trees or something else, so they are usefull above ground. So beefalo speed is not the only thing you may want.

3) Make water beefalos ridable. Make some sort of special Ox-boat that allows them to go to deep water.

Feature is CURRENTLY useless in it's CURRENT UNFINISHED state. I want it finished and compatable with DLCs, so time that was already invested in it is not wasted.

It's like you've burred 45 oincs to buy a house. And you think this is cool to have 45 oincs for house. But you never buy a house, never use 45 oincs. You never invest 5 oincs more to actually buy it.

You have a beefalo. And you think this is cool to have beefalo. But you never ride it. You never invest a bit of time to finish feature to make it actually usefull.

On 3/15/2019 at 4:44 AM, Rellimarual said:

If the water beefalo kicks you off on the water, presumably you die, and given how often beefs kick riders during taming, I’d be careful what you wish for.

Not to mention attempting to tame one on land will instantly aggro them and the entire herd surrounding them

Sure, we could tame Hippopotamooses, but aside from making an admittedly cool combat creature, in terms of mobility it doesn't seem too good. Taking one across the map would take days, and if you would wish to care for several hippos on several plateaus, it would be an extremely resource intensive affair that makes the Gnaw's appetite feel like a mere midnight snack in comparison.

25 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

I get the heavy fog immunity, but how does one suddenly gain immunity to Hayfever by riding a beefaloo??? 

Lets say beefalo smells so badly that you won't care about hay fever.

Lets say hay fever parcticles fly only close to ground while being on a beefalo makes you unreachable for them.

Hamlet doesn't care about logic, why should we? It's all only about fun and balance.

9 hours ago, Desblat said:

Lets say beefalo smells so badly that you won't care about hay fever.

Lets say hay fever parcticles fly only close to ground while being on a beefalo makes you unreachable for them.

Hamlet doesn't care about logic, why should we? It's all only about fun and balance.

Hayfever-causing particles are presumably all over the air in Lush Season thanks to the strong winds, and also, they're light enough to permeate even houses and the deepest corners of ancient pig ruins. That means that being just a bit higher up on a beefalo shall not, by any means, cure your hayfever. It is quite clear that the ways to cure hayfever are to add extra filters to your respiratory tract or to relieve yourself of the discomfort via antihistamines like nettle rolls or an oscillating fan. Any other odorous smell, variance in physical position, or any other kind of explanation like that would not be so conducive to the function of hayfever, which is supposed to provide a seasonal challenge curable by specific, realistic, and most importantly attainable means.

I profess that Don't Starve violates several physical, biological and logical laws. Being able to survive many years without water intake is the tipping point for me. But in the end, the act of riding beefalo being able to suddenly cure hayfever - especially if you are already are experiencing its effects - is illogical and, most importantly, imbalanced. 

It's very imbalanced in my opinion because you have to use a skyworthy to get a beefalo into hamlet. Now, think about trying to tame a beefalo and get a skyworthy while you're trying to establish yourself, you base, your equipment, your material farms and your food sources fighting off bats, rabid beetles, and all in all just trying to survive. Or doing that in an RoG start world, again trying to survive. Pretty taxing in resource and time costs, doncha think?

On 3/15/2019 at 3:02 AM, Desblat said:

Feature is CURRENTLY useless in it's CURRENT UNFINISHED state

It's complete. The problem is, it's only viable with one DLC.

1 hour ago, GetNerfedOn said:

get a beefalo into hamlet. Now, think about trying to tame a beefalo and get a skyworthy while you're trying to establish yourself, you base, your equipment, your material farms and your food sources fighting off bats, rabid beetles, and all in all just trying to survive. Or doing that in an RoG start world, again trying to survive. Pretty taxing in resource and time costs, doncha think?

I wanted beefalo to be in Hamlet world from the begining. So you don't need to bring it from RoG somehow.

As for a hay fever, it is not a must that it's a beefalo. It can be some sort of another ridable creature. Lets say a mammoth with big years that filter air.

As we alrready know all creatures in highland are adapted to hayfever, we can even utilize peagawk plumes to filter air in gas mask. So why not have a ridable creature that filters air. Or if mammoth with big years can act like a fan, blowing particles away.

1 hour ago, GetNerfedOn said:

It's complete. The problem is, it's only viable with one DLC.

Exactly, that's exactly my point. They already put into beefalo riding feature a lot of effert, why not utilize it in Ham and SW somehow.

snip

Herds of Beefalo ruin the immersion of a difficult plateau region that is hamlet, as they're a lowland species which provides easy fuel, defense and meat. Also, i predict they'll go extinct easily due to continual assault via weevole, rabid beetles and brambles. And, since they're not highland creatures, they will probably contract hayfever themselves xD

Sure, animals have adapted to hayfever, but to themselves and not the player. The Peagawk Plumes aren't even an example of adaptation to hayfever - they're adapted by the animal to use as a tool for intimidation or disguise. For all that they're worth, you might as well be using Jet Feathers or Red Feathers instead.

Also, no animals i know of in real life and don't starve have specific outer body parts built for the specific function of filtering air. It's always cilia in the respiratory tract which would have done the job.

Lastly... a mammoth with fan-ears doesn't move its' ears that fast enough to fan you. It's just not structurally sound enough.

I could go on and on, but each to their own at this point.

On 12. 3. 2019 at 1:04 PM, Desblat said:

I wonder why invest time in useless feature.
You waste time=money and bring nothing to game. Why would you LOL

you know that the beefalo thing was just ported over from dst, most of the code had small bugs...

2 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

-

You are bringing toooooooo much logic to DS. We've got a big f. bird that by any means can not be able to fly, but it does fly, we've got moving plants, we've got a goat that catches lightning strikes, nearly everything in DS is inacceptable by your logic. Thus highland mammoth with fan-ears have a right to exist, yet another Maxwell abomination.

Gas mask is made of Peagawk Plumes. So it is filtering the hay fever.

The discussion is going wrong way. 

My point is: there must be something ridable in Ham and SW, that's what I want.

42 minutes ago, Desblat said:

snip

I do admit to being very specific with my nitpicking, but i also believe correcting details like these counts in terms of accuracy XD no offense

Well, however illogical, DS has to make sense somewhere or another. Sure, you have weird amalgamations of animals with otherwordly, illogical body structures and the ability to survive without water, but at least things which make sense IRL like sickness, daytime and seasons have to make sense instead of making them not make sense at all like having sicknesses cured by riding mounts like fan-eared woolly mammoths.

I also do not see good creature design on the fan-eared mammoth. Aside from it being too big and tall to ride, it does not fit in Hamlet given that mammoths are supposed to be on cold steppes and Hamlet is a hot tropical jungle plateau. Sure, you can pull the "ToO MUcH LoGiC" argument on me once more, but do note that most of the creatures in Don't Starve are mostly tailored to fit their biome as in real life. (I rule Pengulls appearing alongside Glaciers in Deserts as an exception to this rule - but only because balance-wise we need the ice and their meat.) Also... what kinda fan do you envision the ears to be? i'm genuinely curious on the matter.

So far in my posts, I have mentioned potential rideable animals in Hamlet AND Shipwrecked in counter to your view that they must be something rideable in SW and Hamlet, and the details as to how riding these things might be viable or imbalanced - which is why i have mentioned my bizarre case points to support my claims that certain creatures and features are imbalanced if placed somewhere outside their DLCs (beefalo), have bad design in my opinion (the fan mammoth) or are impractical to ride (Water Beefalo/Hippopotamoose). So, TL;DR, i disagree due to impracticality. But again, that's just my opinion, feel free to disagree and i'll leave it at that :)

On 3/7/2019 at 2:12 PM, Desblat said:

Lets see:

There are 3 (4) worlds in DS:

1) RoG forest

2) SW islands

3) Hamlet highland

4) semi- caves and ruins in RoG

Beefalos are not present in SW and Hamlet thus the feature is already cut to 1/3 of play time. Water beefalos in SW are unridable.

Beefalos can not go to caves thus limiting feature even more.

There are no Heavy rocks or Chess parts to carry over by beefalo in solo DS.

So.

Dear Klei, what was the point of investing time to port feature if it can not be used with both new DLC worlds: SW (not that new), Hamlet (new one) ?

I guess beefalo riding exists for the same reason tall bird raising exists.

Spoiler

How many of you just loaded up your game so you can raise a tallbird?

On 19.03.2019 at 6:18 PM, GetNerfedOn said:

--

There are highland sheeps IRL, they suit Hamlet and suit Hamlet. They jump out from clouds (like penguins from ocean) and jump back down after some time, if were not tamed. Like those animals have migration cycle.

And there can be a big tortoise in SW, so we can ride it (like Captain Jack Sparrow did). Why the heck not?

Well mammoth was a bad idea for highland, I agree on that. Just a 1st thing that came to my mind, as well as hayfever protection, because I hate hayfever.

I just want to ride something outside RoG. More abilities and variaty for SW and Ham.

On 3/19/2019 at 8:18 AM, GetNerfedOn said:

(I rule Pengulls appearing alongside Glaciers in Deserts as an exception to this rule -

actually there is a dessert literally called Hell California its a dessert that can burn over 100 degrees in the summer and be 0 degrees in winter so it kinda works

irl that is

( i feel like im going to get in trouble for saying that but i think its ok because its a real world place right? )

There are highland sheeps IRL, they suit Hamlet and suit Hamlet. They jump out from clouds (like penguins from ocean) and jump back down after some time, if were not tamed. Like those animals have migration cycle.

And there can be a big tortoise in SW, so we can ride it (like Captain Jack Sparrow did). Why the heck not?

Well mammoth was a bad idea for highland, I agree on that. Just a 1st thing that came to my mind, as well as hayfever protection, because I hate hayfever.

I just want to ride something outside RoG. More abilities and variaty for SW and Ham.

I suggested lashing sea turtles together with Beard Hair in another thread too XD that one's viable. Turtle eggs would be a nice food source too.

Those sheep could also be a source of Steel Wool.

I personally suggest adding a flying mount or a vehicle. A balloon, since it's actually a part of the ambience for Hamlet, should be a viable method - costing lots of boards, rope, cloth and tar to fuel a gas lamp burner for the balloon. It would be slow, yes, but it would allow you to fly out of island bounds 

19 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

I suggested lashing sea turtles together with Beard Hair in another thread too XD that one's viable. Turtle eggs would be a nice food source too.

Those sheep could also be a source of Steel Wool.

I personally suggest adding a flying mount or a vehicle. A balloon, since it's actually a part of the ambience for Hamlet, should be a viable method - costing lots of boards, rope, cloth and tar to fuel a gas lamp burner for the balloon. It would be slow, yes, but it would allow you to fly out of island bounds 

Going futher. If you have ballon you will need something to do while flying. So it's not only about travelling.

Like in SW you can catch fish, collect sea weed, fight with bosses while on boat. There are a lot of sea sctructures.

Floating bird nests in the air. Mountain peaks reaching out from the clouds, sky-stingrays, sky whales. Oh boy. 

Archived