Big Boy Power System Help

Bases on this I guess you would want to set it up like here:

6 hours ago, mathmanican said:
  • (mainline) -> (smart battery switch) ->(transformer) -> (controller battery) -> (transformer) -> (mainline)

5c6ea7b980a93_Power4.thumb.png.028c7955e5026d04d9590d3b7e543688.png

However if I do that the power switch design at the top gets stuck all the time. 

https://youtu.be/mPPAv9dasEo

If I remove the connection between mainline & mainline, it seems good - THIS HERE WILL WORK RIGHT EVERYONE? 

https://youtu.be/JQYyhe7LFGQ

Don't need a Heavy-Wire cable going to all the outputs. Only in the smart battery design at the bottom the cable needs to match the output.

Left conductive wire = 2kW; middle = 1KW; right = 20KW

23 minutes ago, Mullematsch said:

If I remove the connection between mainline & mainline, it seems good - THIS HERE WILL WORK RIGHT EVERYONE? 

https://youtu.be/JQYyhe7LFGQ

Yup. That is the correct set up. It should not stop and become blocked (unless switching time of batteries becomes less than 0.2s in which case it gets stuck but that should not happen until you reach 200KW continuous load. In that case just add more batteries on the top and bottom. One battery is needed per 100KW of continuous load... roughly.

Just now, Saturnus said:

Yup. That is the correct set up. It should not stop and become blocked (unless switching time off batteries becomes less than 0.2s in which case it gets stuck but that should happen until you reach 200KW continuous load. In that case just add more batteries on the top and bottom. One battery is needed per 100KW of continuous load... roughly.

THE MASTER HAS SPOKEN, PACK IT UP BOYS!  

In all seriousness, I think I finally understand this all so that is great :D

Just now, snoozer said:

True. But if you watch the Video it works initally and then it stops I don´t understand why it works in the first place and then stops.

It's been a while since I worked on it so I'm not quite sure myself. Maybe it's working while the batteries between the two main wires still have a bit of charge in them?

17 hours ago, badgamer123 said:

I was using a lot of the switch battery setup in my base,there is a problem that the shutoff gate sometime bugged (all 4 turn to off while the signal is on or and stuck there until I notice it.Did you guys have the same problem?

I've seen this happen on game load, very infrequently, yeah. You can nudge the system to work again by setting the controlling battery to 0/0 and then resetting it to 100/20.

23 hours ago, Mullematsch said:

Sometimes, the output does seem to run out of power. Any idea how to fix that? 

I'm a little late in replying, but figured I would.  The original picture I put up was something to play with and modify.  With a 1kw transformer inside the loop, you can only expect the battery backup to charge or discharge at 1kw . So if you are consuming tons of power, or need a lot coming out, you'll have to modify your smart battery percentages to account for an appropriate drain/fill. Here is a much bigger example of what I put up originally (ignore bottom left, or see the battery transformer infinite power loop post for what that section deals with). Automation in spoiler.

5c6fa8edf36e2_Screenshotfrom2019-02-2200-40-00.thumb.png.78bf6c297f44a7fd5c32e511c8ae5ef0.png

Spoiler

5c6fa9a12b130_Screenshotfrom2019-02-2200-49-31.thumb.png.6403a26ec2a97458150cae6b192e03c1.png

The piece that lots of people want to remove (above the generators, below the fridges), I swapped out with 5 big transformers putting power into the battery backup, and 5 pulling it out (with a clock to turn them on/off for lots of fun testing to see how it performs). I had to add 2 more batteries to the intake end of the smart battery switch (the two on the far right) because power was being pulled/pushed so fast that things would act erratically. 

This is just an alternate way to deal with large power systems.  I like the automation on this one more than @Saturnus's design, though I will probably need more batteries to deal with rapid drain/fill issues under huge loads, so that design I would concede is better. 

Your information and feedback was essential for me to even start understanding this so thank you! 

This is what I ended up with, seems to work well from my testing. 

5c6fc823b9e47_Design1.thumb.png.e428fba596ee4b7826d167bf69b487d4.png

5c6fc838c0d72_Design2.thumb.png.f3ceecf7e5f2965550120ea5cf42ace0.png

No circuit damage, power issues or flickering generators.

The one Natural Gas Generator and the Petroleum Generators are on another power wire to symbolize how you would deal with the first wire (Natural Gas & Hydrogen) being above 20KW produced power - since at that point the transformer would be the bottleneck. 

Solar would ideally directly feed into the control circuit to replenish all the smart batteries controlling the generators. 

Please tell me this will work! :D 

4 hours ago, nakomaru said:

You should delete the transformers from the NG/H2 supply. They serve no purpose except to delete power if those generators go above 20kW. Connect them directly instead.

I think you know, but you can also control the supplement power (NG/Petrol) to avoid wasting fuel by adding batteries and transformers before connecting them to the main 1kW (40kW) wire. You can do the same for the solar to avoid running Heavi-Watt if far away, and increase the maximum to 60kW.

Good point. Those transformers were pointless. The way I am planning on setting it up, whatever generators will be on the normal wire (petroleum in the pictures) will turn on last. That way there is no power overproduction. 

For solar I will just run it on a normal wire as well and then feed it into the control unit with a few transformers:

5c7419bc980e6_Better2.thumb.png.f5377a59c8cce5e7ebb1ee255d206aae.png

5c74199361128_Better1.thumb.png.93c1f6fe07dd604025aaa7430993b658.png

Alright, so I have been using the discussed design here in my current world and so far it is working great. Really happy with it overall and a lot of fun messing with it.

However I have run into one (kinda big) problem during testing as well as my world now.

Sometimes the power switches get stuck or bugged, not exactly sure what is causing it - does not happen a lot at all. Might be connected to loading the world during the power switches switching or something similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-0rbEb_AXU

Anyone got an idea why this happens and how you can fix it easily? I could just reset the automation occasionally with a clock or whatever, rather would just find it the cause of this though.

Thanks lads 

On 21.2.2019 at 2:08 PM, Mullematsch said:
On 21.2.2019 at 1:58 PM, badgamer123 said:

I was using a lot of the switch battery setup in my base,there is a problem that the shutoff gate sometime bugged (all 4 turn to off while the signal is on or and stuck there until I notice it.Did you guys have the same problem?

Yes, that is why Saturnus design has switches to reset it:

Power1.png.fa953ba0ce0995d0288f0c193e80f867.png

:D

Setting both sliders to 0% usually unstuck the shutoffs too. Happens to me only after loading the game.

I know how to fix it. I am wondering if there is a way to prevent this from happening though.

Guess if it is connected to exiting / loading the world, I could only exit the world during x time and disable the automation during that window every day.

1 hour ago, nakomaru said:

I can't figure out how you get this to work with two smart batteries giving output to the same central automation wire.

Are you having trouble with it? Work perfectly fine for me. The left battery automatically default to the master battery and the right one defaults to becoming a slave. However, when you provoke it to a situation where it would normally get stuck the roles reverse until the next save/reload or another fault that would normally get it stuck. That's why I suggest trying it because I can't seem to get it to get stuck without it clearing itself.

Maybe I should note both batteries are set to 80-20.

Mainline comes for the right in my case.

The maximum load in this configuration should be 120KW but you can increase that by adding more batteries.

10 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Pardon me, I must have had a short somewhere. It's working!

I gotta be honest though. I'm not quite sure why it works, or why it seems to prefer the left battery as the master battery. But hey, if it works, don't fix it, right?

Archived