Well, that's a first

Well, this is interesting.

I had subworld files modified to guarantee a few geysers, including an iron volcano and a couple of cool slush vents in the frozen biome. I think there was something wrong with the POI files (they were created in QoL Mk I) which prevented frozen biomes from being generated. Once I took those files out and re-verified game files, the same seed generated normally, frozen stuff and all.

I wish the game would just tell me there was a problem during map generation instead of breaking quietly...

39 minutes ago, M.C. said:

I wish the game would just tell me there was a problem during map generation instead of breaking quietly...

It might not have noticed that anything was wrong.  Computers aren't known for their intuition or intelligence.

Since he modified the poi files, it can't really be classified as a bug.

Changing the files can have lots of strange effects on the world builder. 

I've taken a seed and then made a very minor change to one of the poi's.  Using the same seed ended up with a completely different map.  Geysers in different regions and even types.  Biomes shifted around.  All kinds of things. 

3 hours ago, Soulwind said:

Since he modified the poi files, it can't really be classified as a bug.

Oh, it can. No doubt about it.

Intended behavior: the world generator reports an error when it encounters bad POI data.

Actual behavior: the world generator fails silently, resulting in a corrupted map.

The "fails silently" is the problematic part. Everything else is as expected.

Archived