Scanners and Interference reference sheet

So out of aggravation with the eccentricities of scanner interference, I started digging into what will, or won't, interfere.  It ended up being all over.  It was awkward enough I decided to make a reference sheet for it.  It's a first draft, I'll polish it again later with getting things aligned and what not, but wanted opinions before I went full bore on trying to make it perfect.

5c62847b953a1_ScannerConflicts-Draft3.thumb.jpg.e187c95513e579f0765d906383895de0.jpg

EDIT: New Draft

Thanks for the work. Slightly confusing to me looking at this. Everything on the left good and everything on right bad? They are both labelled Ungrouped Tabs. No mention of many of the standard things that don't interfere with it, robo miners, Telescopes, open bunker doors. Also you could make a note about Airflow and mesh tiles not blocking the scanner and that glass does, no essential but they are common issues for people. The Conveyor loader is the worst as far as I'm concerned it makes automated regolith removal just that bit more painful.

@WanderingKid perhaps you can flip one side, and use arrows to indicate where the exceptions come from.  For example, keep the left side, Scanner Safe, how it is.  Have an arrow labeled "exceptions" pointing across the line to the Unsafe side, with all the objects that are exceptions.  Do the same on the bottom of the Unsafe side.  That way you can just get rid of the "Ungrouped Tabs" labels.

6 hours ago, WanderingKid said:

So out of aggravation with the eccentricities of scanner interference, I started digging into what will, or won't, interfere.  It ended up being all over.  It was awkward enough I decided to make a reference sheet for it.  It's a first draft, I'll polish it again later with getting things aligned and what not, but wanted opinions before I went full bore on trying to make it perfect.

5c62847b953a1_ScannerConflicts-Draft3.thumb.jpg.e187c95513e579f0765d906383895de0.jpg

Usefull but do you have the impact in function of the distance of the machine causing interference

You are lacking one, but very important yet not so obvious thing, preventing scanners from working - gases.

It gave me so much headache to figure out why one of my scanners couldn't reach 100%. It turned out that its range was overlapping with some drywalls. Gases behind the drywalls were reducing the scanner performance. So basically all range area of a scanner needs to be in vacuum.

6 hours ago, Flydo said:

Usefull but do you have the impact in function of the distance of the machine causing interference

I do not, because I believe it might have some variance but mostly because I didn't bother to check.  In my opinion, any interference is bad so I avoid it all if I can.

6 hours ago, Angpaur said:

You are lacking one, but very important yet not so obvious thing, preventing scanners from working - gases.

I'm also lacking line of sight concerns and other things.  This isn't meant to encompass all knowledge from the ONI Meteorology posts already up, it's just more information since the things causing interference seemed so haphazard.

59 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

I do not, because I believe it might have some variance but mostly because I didn't bother to check.  In my opinion, any interference is bad so I avoid it all if I can.

I'm also lacking line of sight concerns and other things.  This isn't meant to encompass all knowledge from the ONI Meteorology posts already up, it's just more information since the things causing interference seemed so haphazard.

line of sight is probably most important thing since I doubt many people are building coal gen farms above their scanners but might have miners/ceiling/walls within the magic "cone"

2 minutes ago, chemie said:

line of sight is probably most important thing since I doubt many people are building coal gen farms above their scanners but might have miners/ceiling/walls within the magic "cone"

That's fair, but I didn't see any need to reinvent the wheel when most of that is already covered, and covered well, in this:

15 hours ago, WanderingKid said:

All buildings below the line are Industrial Machinery which is not allowed in some rooms. Imo, Metal Refinery, Rock Granulator, Glass Forge and Steam Turbine should be classified as Industrial Machinery too.

1 hour ago, WanderingKid said:

That's fair, but I didn't see any need to reinvent the wheel when most of that is already covered, and covered well, in this:

It is not mentioned there that scanner range needs to be in vacuum and that gases can interfere with it.

I thought that you wanted to dig into what will, or won't, interfere. I guess I was wrong.

53 minutes ago, Angpaur said:

It is not mentioned there that scanner range needs to be in vacuum and that gases can interfere with it.

I thought that you wanted to dig into what will, or won't, interfere. I guess I was wrong.

I dug into what machines were causing interference I couldn't trace.  I then tried to make my findings available.  You are of course welcome to use this for further expansion if you like, but I'm sorry to disappoint you I'm not interested in trying to make an entire library of every concern.  I have neither the time nor the inclination to do that, getting this organized took far longer than I had to spare in the first place.

Archived