The Theory of Letters

Welcome everyone. Recently I jumped deeply into the lore of Don't Starve. In this topic I would like to present You something what I call Theory of Letters. It's an expansion to "W Theory", what was really well explained by Zeklo in one of his videos. In this topic I want to go deeper. This theory assumes that first letter of a name (or surname) describes character's personality.

What we already know?

As we already realised even after our first hours in Don't Starve, names of all playable characters begin with "W". Except Maxwell. When we start our jorney in the base game Maxwell is main antagonist. After completing the Adventure Mode we get Maxwell as a playable character. Later we find out, that Maxwell's real name is William Carter. Another name with W. In Cyclum puzzle we found out that Maxwell isn't that bad guy how we thought. This drove me to simple thought. "W" represents good characters and "M" represents evil characters. If we look close enough we can see "W" on Pugna's chest. In the end, Pugna seems to be a good character, who just want to defend his realm against Charlie.

Letter M

Letter "M" can represent "malicious" or "malediction". And of course "M" is upside down "W". If "W" represents good, "M" must represent evil. It appears also on Codex Umbra. Some theories say, that Charlie's real name is Metheus (we can't say is that true due to lack of proofs). But Metheus seems to be an evil character. In ancient symbols letter "M" may represent magic. In Don't Starve magic is always connected with Nightmare Fuel, what is techincaly a bad thing. Overuse of Fuel lead Ancient Civilisation to the end.

Letter C

Of course we have also other names than those which begin on "M" and "W". This paragraph is pure speculation and can be completely wrong, but we at least should take it into consideration. Names what start with "C" are Charlie and Carter (if surnames actually mean anything. We don't know much about other characters surnames). Another interesting fact is that, Maxwell has his equivalent in the real history. His name is Charles Joseph Carter, who also was a magician and started his career in 1906. Charles and Chalrie sound very similar. I don't know does letter "C" mean anything in this puzzle, but let me bring another explaination. Ancient Symbols. Symbol that is similar to letter "W" means precius. If we look on symbols below we can see that symbol "alucinato" (illusion) looks very similar to letter "C". All those things seem to connect to each other. Maxwell (Charles Carter) was a magician, so he was using illusion in his shows. Charlie also attended in illusion shows as Maxwell's assistant.

Symbols.png.34f418e9eeba3f2ac898977ce870

Summary

I don't know is this theory good or wrong, but certainly very interesting. Maybe some things are overlooked, maybe overinterpretated. What are your opinions? Maybe You wish to add something. Let's start a good discusion :D

3 hours ago, Cytryn7 said:

Another interesting fact is that, Maxwell has his equivalent in the real history. His name is Charles Joseph Carter, who also was a magician and started his career in 1906. Charles and Chalrie sound very similar.

Oh, that's a neat coincidence! Or if it was intentional, even cooler!

I'm silly, over here wondering what language those symbols came from...it's from the dang game, from one of the puzzles :wilson_facepalm:

I suppose the letter C looks a bit like that symbol for illusion, but I'd like more proof of that before I can say for sure. I think those symbols ultimately served a purpose in relation to the puzzle they came from, and might not have more meaning outside of it. But who knows :p

I do agree with your theory that there is a dichotomy between M and W, and that M is antagonistic compared to W. It reminds me of the concept of inverted pentagrams, or an upside down cross (which creep me out!!!).

12 hours ago, minespatch said:

He is but his need for battle clouds his judgement.

While preparing to this post I did a research about Pugna's quotes and I found some very interesting stuff.

"... Do you understand the forces you serve?" "We were severed from the Throne!" "Trapped in a realm of stone and fire, with no scepter to provide." "Why serve a power that deserted my people?" "They destroy all They touch..." "That is why we cannot let you win." "We'll return to the hub and destroy the Throne."

It seems Pugna have been in The Constant in the past, and something, or someone banished him. He knows who THEY are (maybe he has even seen the downfall of Ancients) and this is why he stands in the oposition to The Constant and Throne. He doesn't fight us because he likes, but he has to. Another good point is that he indicates that we serve Charlie, what actually is true. It seems Charlie wants to conquere other realms, but firstly sends her pawns to fight. Charlie manipulates us since beginning. In my point of view Pugna wants to defeat Charlie and destroy the Throne.

Well, Maxwell seems to think that it is not charlie doing this, but They are making her do evil things. (Comedy statue)

Also, the Precious rune is just Wilson's hair.

And if M really does mean evil, what about the 'Moon' and the people that live there? M night not mean evil though, since Mumsy seems nice.

6 hours ago, Mooagain said:

But what about the other characters, like Robert and Jack?

Wagstaff appears to be a good character. About Jack and others we don't have enough information to even say anything. Maybe in the future

Archived