Memory HOG? Game Lags late game

2 hours ago, Gurgel said:

I use an FX8350 with 16GB RAM. (Waiting for Zen-2 to upgrade.) It is only about 12% faster than the FX8150.  No problems with frame rates. I suspect something else on the system is causing the problem.

it may be some bios settings. I have heard rumors that some diagnostic or accessory bloatware might be to blame. A friend of mine has issues with antivirus choking the system. Too many variables - spec wise, that system should run fine. I would do an extensive check of driver updates if it's windows 10, there may be a bad .Net framework install - might even try checking the integrity of the game files.

47 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

it may be some bios settings. I have heard rumors that some diagnostic or accessory bloatware might be to blame. A friend of mine has issues with antivirus choking the system. Too many variables - spec wise, that system should run fine. I would do an extensive check of driver updates if it's windows 10, there may be a bad .Net framework install - might even try checking the integrity of the game files.

Possibly. I have basically nothing running in the background and keep the system as clean as possible. 

@Gurgel

I'm not saying its a bad processor or it should run horribly, it might be a combination of bloated system, not "optimized" base, CPU and the game itself.

Still, CPU is probably the bottleneck for nearly all of us, get twice as fast CPU (probably single core matters the most) and you will most likely get twice as much FPS.

Actually I wonder how much the RAM speed matters, as the game takes a bunch of memory it needs to access it a lot. It might be a major factor as well.

Ive been wondering about this myself. I understand there's lots of calculations going on at once, but I've got a 8700k stock,16GB 3200MHZ RAM, Samsung 970 EVO, and a GTX1060 6GB and cycles 4-500+ gets way low into the teens of FPS and save times are getting bad also. I really think there should be options for either turning off auto save or at least choosing the cycles between autosaves and not EVERY single cycle.

5 hours ago, goochmyster said:

Ive been wondering about this myself. I understand there's lots of calculations going on at once, but I've got a 8700k stock,16GB 3200MHZ RAM, Samsung 970 EVO, and a GTX1060 6GB and cycles 4-500+ gets way low into the teens of FPS and save times are getting bad also. I really think there should be options for either turning off auto save or at least choosing the cycles between autosaves and not EVERY single cycle.

ONI is still an early access game - this would be a nice QoL feature eventually, but you're asking for a shot in the foot. The only reason it saves every single cycle, and there are multiple days of auto saves is because the game can and will crash ( it's all over the patch notes ) - so be careful what you wish for. It's easier to rollback a day in the auto saves in the event of catastrophe. Crashes and other very unfortunate game behaviour is why it's like this by default.

5 hours ago, goochmyster said:

I have the same hardware, but my 8700k is at 4.6Ghz and I get mid-30s fps at 2000+ cycles.

7 hours ago, Cairath said:

After overclocking my i7-7700K from stock 4.2 to 5GHz it gave me approx +30fps in a 1500+ cycles base, including jetsuits, so it truly is that single core performance.

@goochmyster As for disabling auto saves - not too long ago I've made a mod that does that, it's in my repo

Youre the bomb! Im already using a ton of your mods. Theyre fantastic btw. I must have somehow missed that one. Thanks!

15 hours ago, Nitroturtle said:

I have the same hardware, but my 8700k is at 4.6Ghz and I get mid-30s fps at 2000+ cycles.

Well i may have to throw a OC on my CPU then.... i had forgotten that the jetpacks and the path finding that comes along with it really killed the fps and thats what it was.

1 hour ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Those who are having FPS issues in the late game should try the new testing build.  Pathfinding is now multi-threaded, so you ought to see a considerable improvement in your FPS.

Same base I was reporting on above and I'm getting 25-30fps, so roughly 5fps lower on testing branch.  Obviously, logging will slow things down some.  I've also tried to optimized pathing so it may not have much impact in this particular base.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:30 AM, Lawnmower Man said:

I'm almost cycle 700, and I'm only using about 6 GB of RAM.  However, I do have 32 GB total and 16 GB in use by the OS, but most of it must be caches, because the next biggest consumer is Chrome, at 2 GB.  Also, you might have a lot more memory-intensive buildings on your map than I do.

If the program can access the memory to write it to disk, let alone *reload it*, then by definition it is not a "leak".  Maybe "waste" on the part of the programmers, but definitely not a "leak".

Well if there is an actual memory leak then that could be a problem, and it should become noticeable when you close the game.

I think the right term might be "HOG" or "hogger".     You could write a program that just hogs up memory and increasingly consume/demand more and more over time.  and end up hogging all the resources in the game until the system just comes to a crawl, and your video card starts humming if you're hogging gpu as well.  

On 1/29/2019 at 3:13 PM, Copy3ms said:

So, i used parts of my home pc to beef up the PC at work, 16GB of ram now, R9280x and AMD FX-8150 @3.6 still lagging on the 400+ cycles mark. I am not even sure what to do anymore. 

It's literately unplayable for me at this stage. Cant exactly build stuff when frames drop to 1 every second. 

Are you sure your CPU isn't throttling? Maybe GPU? Your rig is about the same or beefier than mine. (16 GB DDR3L + GTX680 + 4770K)

What you are explaining isn't the ONI i experience. 

On 4/5/2019 at 9:40 AM, nets said:

Are you sure your CPU isn't throttling? Maybe GPU? Your rig is about the same or beefier than mine. (16 GB DDR3L + GTX680 + 4770K)

What you are explaining isn't the ONI i experience. 

No idea. Just gave up on finding a solid answer. I am back to using my own rig and not my office pc. Now i have no problems. 

Archived