Transformer Power

But the readout has no power rating at all.
All of the information refers to the transformers having Joules as if they are batteries. 
Power is Joules per second.

Further, what I've experienced in game seems to verify this as I have transformers supplying heavi watt circuits and even overloading them.
Perhaps there is no cap on their pwoer output?

So a small transformer puts through a steady 1kW of power. It can transfer more for a short while but it will run out of power and turn off for a few seconds as it can`t supply that amount all the time. This means it can overload a regular or even conductive wire when connected to too much stuff but it will continually turn on and off even if there is surplus power attached to it. It`s like a power valve letting through only 1kW but storing 1000J of power inside itself. If you provide a battery on the outer circuit it might take time for the transformer to lose charge when outputting more than 1kW but it will happen eventually unless the power usage isn`t constant.

The large transformer works the same way just lets through 4kW continously.

I believe small transformers are still "bugged" and you can easily push 4KW through them if you're not careful.  I found this out the hard way and had to completely redo my entire electrical system in one game.

I think as long as you don't mix them with a system that has a large transformer anywhere on it (needs a complete air gap between them) then it doesn't happen.

12 hours ago, Smithe37 said:

Perhaps there is no cap on their pwoer output?

From what I know a circuit can have unlimited power producers without overloading (generators, batteries, output transformers)

The limit is set by the power consumers (input transformer, and any other machine that requires power)

For example: You can have 100 petroleum generators on a single copper ore wire and it won't overload, but if you put an aqua tuner on the same wire then BOOM your wire will start taking overload damage

18 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

It's supposed to be 1kw for small, but I've seen them overload conductive wires when powering a circuit with an uncharged battery on it.

It overloads when you try to use too much, whether there's enough power to use too much makes no difference.  I know that wouldn't make sense in the real world, but oni plays a bit loose with reality.

1 hour ago, R9MX4 said:

ur wrong

Yes. That's correct. I'm wrong. Not only did I misunderstand this thread, but I did this experiment a while ago with a steam turbine where I connected it to a 4kw transformer via 2kw wire and I got overloads. (I somehow thought we were discussing that part of the circuit) Nevertheless, I just tried a similar thing with other kinds of generators and it didn't happen. So I was wrong twice over.

14 minutes ago, Tonyroid said:

steam turbine

You remind me of this matter. My friend once told me he connected 2kw wire and turbine, and then an exceptional behavior happened. But we can't figure out why.

Anyway, generally. you could consider that overload won't happen when power is not enough.

There is a bug where transformers can consume more power than is available on their high input. May be related to the steam turbine issue, which I can confirm. Feed the output of the turbine through a large transformer into your main grid and a 2 kW line going from turbine to transformer will overload. Even though the turbine only outputs 2 kW. Use two small transformers instead and it works just fine. Use three small transformers and it overloads again.

Archived