It is NOT the Deerclops

I saw that too

Periodic snow + ground accumulation.

Warmth mechanic (like dapperness, but you can freeze to death).

Scottish Walrus Nobleman Father and Son Hunting Party.

Deerclops.

Ice Hounds.

Stuff that might have to wait for the next update:

Pengull swarms.

Angry, craftable snowmen who throw snowballs.

Winter is coming (ha!) next week, and is the last big difficulty-affecting feature before launch. I'm still tuning it, but from what I can tell so far it is something that you're going to have to plan for, or you will die:

a) Vegetation shuts down. You can pick stuff that's already grown, but no new growth happens.

b) You can freeze to death. You can wear warm clothes to slow the process, but you're going to have to warm up at fires periodically. Of course, this means that you aren't wearing armour or dapper stuff...

c) There are two very tough monsters that are released. One is pretty much invincible, and you really just have to run away from it.

This kicks in for the first time at day 25 or so (still adjusting that). It adds an element of time pressure that wasn't in the game before, and (I hope) will change the way the game is played. You can turn it off (or make it come more often) with the world configurator, but it is a major looming threat in the default world, and it will be used a lot in the story mode.

Once that's in, we can talk about overall balance. Until that happens, we're trying to put together a puzzle with missing pieces

this is all the changelog that i saw that was about the winter's tale update..help me look!