About the upcoming update

4 hours ago, Mr.Mulk said:

Inventory burning lol

It's not rocket science to implement and it'd make her 10X more useful in DST.

-Video Snip-

It's destructive abilities are also its downsides, you have to be careful and actually think when doing it, otherwise risk consequences.

Way too much griefing potential sadly, I doubt this would ever be a thing in DST, despite how awesome it looks

Okay, this is admittedly kind of dumb, but one small thing I think would be neat is if they added some more inspection quote thingies for doing things, like when you revive a lot of people or start a lot of fires.  I don't know how hard that would be, but I think it would be neat. For what, I'm not sure, maybe stuff like doing a lot of farming/hunting or putting up a lot of signs, or something. I dunno.

1 hour ago, shyguy1824 said:

Okay, this is admittedly kind of dumb, but one small thing I think would be neat is if they added some more inspection quote thingies for doing things, like when you revive a lot of people or start a lot of fires.  I don't know how hard that would be, but I think it would be neat. For what, I'm not sure, maybe stuff like doing a lot of farming/hunting or putting up a lot of signs, or something. I dunno.

I know what you're saying. Like if a sort of viewable karma stayed with each player regardless of world. 

1 hour ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

..sort of viewable karma stayed with each player regardless of world. 

Hmm. Purely as a concept that would be interesting and quite helpful (even with the griefing stuff - if a BillyBobby is only trolling and burning bases all around would be marked like so from beginning of each new game if doing it constantly; and be booted properly via voting without a second delay hehe, "you reap what you sow"). Also the "I wanna brag a lot" people can get their desired tag via such karma system that also accounts boss battles and other "feats of glory". Plus more. I for one like this idea, sadly most likely will remain just an idea.

26 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

Hmm. Purely as a concept that would be interesting and quite helpful (even with the griefing stuff - if a BillyBobby is only trolling and burning bases all around would be marked like so from beginning of each new game if doing it constantly; and be booted properly via voting without a second delay hehe, "you reap what you sow"). Also the "I wanna brag a lot" people can get their desired tag via such karma system that also accounts boss battles and other "feats of glory". Plus more. I for one like this idea, sadly most likely will remain just an idea.

Exactly. Even if it's not immediately visible that would be okay. I imagine it would be the most easily implemented by adding new texts when inspecting players. 

3 hours ago, shyguy1824 said:

20 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

Exactly. Even if it's not immediately visible that would be okay. I imagine it would be the most easily implemented by adding new texts when inspecting players. 

I think it is being partially applied already, I'll explain more:

Playing as Wilson, I noticed Willow and Wendy says when inspects you:

Willow: -"Hi Wilson"
Wendy: -"How do you do, Wilson"

After some seasons, helping, giving them food and materials:

Willow: -"Wilson won't leave anyone behind."
Wendy: -"Abigail likes you, Wilson."

9 hours ago, Terra M Welch said:

Way too much griefing potential sadly, I doubt this would ever be a thing in DST, despite how awesome it looks

You shouldn't try to balance a game from a griefing perspective in my opinion, look how well it went last time they did that. I say caveat empetor, in this case let the server owner beware, as it always ends up boiling down to anyways. Attempting to quell griefing did absolutely nothing to stop it or even slow it down as anyone can still make a torch, anyone can still take valuable items and disconnect, anyone can still set up portal traps, anyone can hammer a base while the owner is away, etc.

If you don't like it don't run pubs and if you want to run pubs have some sort of antigrief or just accept the risk (and use rollback). But attempting to balance the game around stopping griefers is a fruitless effort that only results in the situation we have right now.

43 minutes ago, Mr.Mulk said:

You shouldn't try to balance a game from a griefing perspective in my opinion, look how well it went last time they did that. I say caveat empetor, in this case let the server owner beware, as it always ends up boiling down to anyways. Attempting to quell griefing did absolutely nothing to stop it or even slow it down as anyone can still make a torch, anyone can still take valuable items and disconnect, anyone can still set up portal traps, anyone can hammer a base while the owner is away, etc.

If you don't like it don't run pubs and if you want to run pubs have some sort of antigrief or just accept the risk (and use rollback). But attempting to balance the game around stopping griefers is a fruitless effort that only results in the situation we have right now.

I wasn't disagreeing with you I was merely saying it's unlikely klei would do it. That is all.

Given the hypothetical status of our suggestions, I suppose it wouldn't hurt if we reason to Klei that if when they are ready to tackle this seemingly unstoppable issue of character balance, they would test the waters in the safety of the same beta branch used to test the Forge and Gorge.

At least if then, we'd have concrete evidence of what works and what doesn't, without ever tampering with the main game. Hopefully they would have it all figured out in time for supper, provided that we sincerely are that willing to break out of our comfort zones in trying new things.

Just a few days ago, I had to go clear a spawn portal on an unmodded public server because 2 Webbers joined, planted their eggs at spawn, built wood walls around the portal and lured the Bee Queen to it any time a new player joined. It took like half a season before any of the older players noticed.

The idea that people worry about fire griefing is hilarious, and it's completely bonkers that Willow was ever touched. You'd have to rebuild a significant portion of this game to have any impact on grief potential.

No griefer, not even the repeated offenders from beta till present (Clouds, Master, Saltzmah level) are banned on Klei official servers. Klei pubs are notorious for being griefers heaven. Only time Klei took any form of direct action was towards ..people trying to guard themselves against griefers by generally blocking at gate any future player logging on server past first year - aka those episodes when a handful of experienced players "kept captive" 2 Klei official servers playing well into 2k+ days. Only then some Klei employees logged on, deleted the blocking elements at gate and said servers predictably got a reset. The other time Klei took an indirect measure against a form of griefing was with implementation of 20-days-on-server margin to be able to vote (kicking, regen) as reaction towards a plethora of players coming here on these forums (I included) and Steam forums alike to complain about the madness of Cloud's bots and another trio of mental players kicking casuals and resetting Klei official servers on and on for weeks in early 2017 - not even then Clouds and those 3 other sick trolls were banned. So no, Klei doesn't ban anyone no matter what they do on official pubs. Griefer-friendly pubs ;)

Yeaaaa I tend to not even look at Klei's servers in the list anymore due to that. Every game I play on those servers, something happens, not to mention the constant suspicion as a result, players knowing thagt they're in the group of servers that troublemakers can still run to when they're banned from most of the decent community-owned servers; it makes trust and cooperation difficult.
And the aforementioned changes to the voting system were only after the problems had plagued the game for quite a while, with the community giving constant reports and begging for any solution in the meantime. That's...a general indicator of how Klei treats the situation as a whole. Frankly, development in general follows that; a problem has to be beating down their door before it's even acknowledged, much less addressed. Here's hoping that that's changing now?

Regardless, there are community servers with people keeping an eye on them, and they don't get bombarded by player-made misfortune too often as a result. It'd be helpful if some community-made server management solutions were made into vanilla options; management-modded servers are significantly harder to pointlessly wreck, but such servers are filtered out by many players trying to avoid the, er...sillier mods out there, making actual sustainable coop games on an active pub server difficult to start/find.
Vanilla-available options to actually keep a server running healthily would encourage longer play, and more retention as a result. It's weird the subject still has barely been acted upon after all this time. The specifics have been gone over time and again, so I won't make this longer by repeating it.
But regardless, a server managed by people will typically be a more pleasant experience than a server left to the chaotic wilds. The Klei servers' main issue is simply that it's the latter.

There's always a reason for the sort of deadlock we've seen on not getting those tools, though.
From various conversations on the forum and watching this game/community for much of the time that DST's been around...
...I just feel like Klei's been trying too hard to appeal to everyone, and now they're stuck in between the 'purists', demanding only the hardest core, uncompromising, ruthless survival that SP was initially based on, which would cause the less dedicated players to run off...
...VS the more 'casual' hangout crowd looking for a less harsh world; less threats, easy automation, funny gamebreaking exploits...basically a sandbox like early-development Minecraft, but at a 45° view angle; things that discourage the first party from being interested in the game.
Decisions seem to have often come down to that conflict, and it's difficult to even know what Klei's going for because the game development itself has sent mixed signals on what the game is even trying to be. And it sucks, because we've seen so many great ideas with the events and seasonal content, which were originally stated to double as testing for things they might include in the base game later...but Klei has seemed afraid to change anything of even minor significance; just add and run away before people start asking for the additions to be fleshed out.

...I don't know, I'm honestly just confused by their actions/lack of them at this point. There's no coherent vision behind them.
Another rant aside, I'm interested in how they'll approach these coming Character updates. I can't even make a confident prediction on what they'll be like because the announcement was completely out of left field compared to what lead up to it.
I mean...Willow got her gut-punch because people were afraid of her lighter in what, 2015? And we haven't seen anything character-wise since then except Wilson 2.0; and she and her release were so unremarkable that the hype died immediately.
I have zero idea what to even expect from these updates. I hope DST's update history are no indication of what we'll see, though.

Archived