solid fuel rocket exhaust temperature emission

I have noticed that there is an area below the solid fuel rocket, regardless of obstructions is effected by temperature. I place insulated tiles below the rocket.  Below the tiles, which should be sealed off from the rocket exhaust is still being heated to 600-700c.  Meaning that anything I place below the launch pad is normally destroyed within about 10 tiles from the base of the rocket.  This should not happen.

1 hour ago, Craigjw said:

I have noticed that there is an area below the solid fuel rocket, regardless of obstructions is effected by temperature. I place insulated tiles below the rocket.  Below the tiles, which should be sealed off from the rocket exhaust is still being heated to 600-700c.  Meaning that anything I place below the launch pad is normally destroyed within about 10 tiles from the base of the rocket.  This should not happen.

It's 9 tiles below the rocket that are affected and must remain clear.

You can make a vacuum below it if you want to waste the heat of the rocket. Or alternatively you can capture the heat with obsidian tiles. Or just a large water reservoir to make steam for a steam turbine.

2 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

I shouldn't need a vacuum in an area that shouldn't be effected by the exhaust.

It is not a bug. It's intended.

I have an area below the thruster which I use to boil water already, however, I've had to move the valves etc because they keep getting broken in an area that they just shouldn't be breaking.

3000c is the temperature that is being reached below the tiles.

It's annoying.

:) Craigjw. I told you is better to make a pool of magma under the rocket and capture in this way the heat... send some regolith for melting, then repeat the process. When you have enough magma open the door in a vacuum area for disposal. 

4 hours ago, Saturnus said:

It's 9 tiles below the rocket that are affected and must remain clear.

Thanks for the exact number. Do not need to remain clear though, you can also just cool it in some way. The rocket does not transfer that much energy to it.

I hope Klei plans to fix this, as my silos are already quite tall, and needing to keep 9 more tiles clear below them (despite the fact that the exhaust should be blocked) just makes things worse.

On 12/20/2018 at 9:44 AM, Gurgel said:

Thanks for the exact number. Do not need to remain clear though, you can also just cool it in some way. The rocket does not transfer that much energy to it.

The problem with "cooling" things is the rocket flash heats things, e.g. automation, so even if you try to cool things it will take way too long to be effective during the launch itself.

6 hours ago, cblack said:

The problem with "cooling" things is the rocket flash heats things, e.g. automation, so even if you try to cool things it will take way too long to be effective during the launch itself.

If you use steel, they heat up slowly enough. Personally, I put 200kg/tile of water below the rocket and seal the silo up with drywall. The steam from the launch nicely cools everything down again after the launch.

51 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Personally, I put 200kg/tile of water below the rocket and seal the silo up with drywall. The steam from the launch nicely cools everything down again after the launch.

I'm thinking I may do the same, but with LOX instead of H2O.  It doesn't have the specific heat that water has, but it is a lot colder to start.  I'm mainly hoping to reduce the area below the rocket that I need to use high-temp materials in.

Archived