So, what exactly is Maxwell?

Well, if I were to wager a guess, it might be less that Maxwell is evil for the sake of evil as much as he's more interested in testing Wilson's mettle, kind of like Jigsaw from the Saw series. Yes, Jigsaw is evil, but he's not just evil for the sake of evil, in his twisted mind, he's actually doing a service, helping people appreciate life by struggling against certain death.The fact that the teleportato is Maxwell's head and shadowy demonic hands grab Wilson and crew when they use the machine is Maxwell "opening the door" to the next chamber, and of course if you die then you don't go through the door, obviously. As for why Maxwell would bother to test Wilson... I don't know.Maybe Wilson struck a contract with Maxwell for some purpose?Maybe Wilson was on the precipice of death and Maxwell is giving Wilson a second lease on life if he can survive all the way through until the end?Maybe Wilson is a demon too and is being groomed by Maxwell to take his place.Or hell... maybe it's like Twisted Metal. Maxwell is offering the heart's desire of any one of these characters if they survive, and only when you're the last one standing do you get the prize? Lol maybe the whole, "Their end is your beginning," is a message meaning that any of the characters you're not playing as may happen to spawn in the later levels of adventure mode, and each of them has a piece of the teleportato, and you must kill them to get the pieces, but after you get a piece, they'll be wandering around the map to kill you and steal your pieces and you could lose if one of the NPCs happens to find all the pieces before you do.Well, that's just my ideas of what might be going on.

Wilson is mysterious as much as Maxwell himself.

Agreed.

Maybe Wilson is a demon too and is being groomed by Maxwell to take his place.

It would be really interesting if that was Maxwell's goal all along. Even if Wilson was just plain human, it could work. I can see Maxwell abducting some scientist and putting him through all that garbage, with the goal of eventually warping him into a demon. And that would explain the in-game respawn. Maxwell may actively try to cause Wilson's death to traumatize him, but you always respawn in the end. Since death would be an escape from the island, Maxwell won't let you die. Or, more specifically, he'll allow the suffering, horror, and trauma of death and multiple reincarnations, but not the escape. Come to think of it, most of the characters have traits that would make them catch Maxwell's eye as potential demon material. Firestarting, death obsessions, ludicrous strength/superiority complex, hatred for all life... and maybe Maxwell just has some vendetta against mimes.

Come to think of it, most of the characters have traits that would make them catch Maxwell's eye as potential demon material. Firestarting, death obsessions, ludicrous strength/superiority complex, hatred for all life... and maybe Maxwell just has some vendetta against mimes.

Mimes make the best demon nightmare fuel if you think about it.

Ironically, there is an unimplemented character that looks like a demon; Wortox.Wilson is mysterious as much as Maxwell himself.

Ey yo, stop thinking you are the first one to think that Wilson is evil. I always believed that Maxwell is the good guy here, because the main characters give some kind of bad guy feeling...

Ey yo, stop thinking you are the first one to think that Wilson is evil. I always believed that Maxwell is the good guy here, because the main characters give some kind of bad guy feeling...

Ey yo, stop talking about things that don't matter. I always believed that someone else did everything before me, because it's life.

Ironically, there is an unimplemented character that looks like a demon; Wortox.Wilson is mysterious as much as Maxwell himself.

I'm aware of Wortox. Speaking of which, I can't wait for Webber! :DI really do hope they implement him.

It would be really interesting if that was Maxwell's goal all along. Even if Wilson was just plain human, it could work. I can see Maxwell abducting some scientist and putting him through all that garbage, with the goal of eventually warping him into a demon. And that would explain the in-game respawn. Maxwell may actively try to cause Wilson's death to traumatize him, but you always respawn in the end. Since death would be an escape from the island, Maxwell won't let you die. Or, more specifically, he'll allow the suffering, horror, and trauma of death and multiple reincarnations, but not the escape. Come to think of it, most of the characters have traits that would make them catch Maxwell's eye as potential demon material. Firestarting, death obsessions, ludicrous strength/superiority complex, hatred for all life... and maybe Maxwell just has some vendetta against mimes.

There's no telling what sort of evil malice is burning behind that white face paint and adorable gestures.Lol, maybe you unlock Wortox by beating the game and becoming a demon and maybe you unlock Wilton by dying enough times, eh?Wilson, Wilton? Am I on to something, lol? xD