So, what exactly is Maxwell?

Here's a brief summary what Kevin said:

Maxwell is a evil demon who traps the player.

Nuff said.

When we heard that some people take that symbol seriously, we decided to remove it because we didn't want to go for the 'easy shock'. I want to have to try harder than that to get under people's skin, you know?

The symbol itself means nothing to me, but it is emotionally loaded for some people. The game is about battling demons and being forced to do horrible things to survive, but we coat it in an accesible, cartoony style. I want the game to go for long-term, subtle creepiness, without relying on superficial elements to make its point. It's kind of like how we don't have a lot of blood and guts, and how the poop piles are very abstract.

But, yeah... Maxwell. Who do you suppose he might be? A well dressed, middle aged gentleman with crazy powers who is pretending to be your friend? Let's just say that I wouldn't be signing any contracts from THAT guy.

Sounds a bit more like a lawyer then a demon if you ask me.... Who then lost his job and became a concierge.

Maxwell is owner of many paradise islands, characters just buy tickets and Maxwell leads them to one of his islands. Characters can gather as much gold as they can carry and then go back to their homes using that strange Maxwell device placed on every island.

Sounds a bit more like a lawyer then a demon if you ask me.... Who then lost his job and became a concierge.

Why not both?*hooray*

Maxwell is owner of many paradise islands, characters just buy tickets and Maxwell leads them to one of his islands. Characters can gather as much gold as they can carry and then go back to their homes using that strange Maxwell device placed on every island.

Decent theory 8/10

He shows up, says some basic stuff, then disappears.Everything is is speculation.

From what we know, Maxwell is the main antagonist. Thus, we can tell that he is the infamous "evil" demon.Everything isn't isn't speculation.