• The forum downloads section will be removed on Jan 1st 2023. Players may still download mods that are currently hosted, but new submissions are no longer being accepted. Mod makers are advised to relocate their mods to alternative hosting solutions.

6 Screenshots

About This File

Recently I got into a discussion with someone on the topic of HUD mods and more specifically, their compatibility issues. Long story short, I realized it would be easier and faster to make my own than it would be to fix someone else's. 10 minutes later, this mod was born. Yes, seriously, 10 minutes.

If you're like me, and I know I am, then you're probably relatively happy with Don't Starve's default HUD and the only thing you might change is not being able to see the hunger, sanity and health values when you stop hovering over their icons. Well, it seems our lucky day has come because that's exactly what this mod does. Those stats are shown all the time and when you hover over the icons, it shows the maximum capacity of that stat.

For example:

Hovering over the health icon will show your maximum health capacity. When you stop hovering over it, it shows your current health. Very simple, neat and clean.

This mod affects:

-Hunger icon

-Sanity icon

-Health icon

-Moisture icon

-Woodie's Werebeaver icon thing

-Clock icon(sort of)

-Anything that uses the default badge widget

-Nothing else.

At the risk of breaking simplicity, a temperature display has been added. It's displayed in the clock(the sun icon) under day X/world X. Hovering over the clock only changes the default day/world displays. It's displayed in both situations. If this seems too not-simple, it can be disabled in the configuration menu. You can also change it from Celsius to Fahrenheit.

To further un-simplify things, I added support for arrow adjustments. Normally, the up and down arrows would appear in the middle of the icon, but since the numbers are there, you now have the option to move the up and down arrows above and below their icons respectively. This option is off by default.

I also made it so you can pick and choose different colors and opacities of the arrows and various number sets. You can choose from a list of presets, make your own, or choose all the colors by making them rainbow colorized. When rainbow colors are on, all the numbers and arrows will slowly change colors. You can even turn the numbers off completely!

Adaptive Colors:

I created yet another configuration option that will change the color of a number, based on it's stat and how "full" it is. For example, if your health is above 80% then the color will be green. If it's less than 20% then it will be red. The colors will change across a simple spectrum between green and red, based on the percentage of the stat it's representing. It works on health, hunger, sanity and (theoretically) any badge that is added using standard methods. However, this is experimental, meaning your game could crash if you have any mod enabled that adds a heavily modified, unconventional badge(for example, Beatrice) so you would have to disable this option. If you're not using any mods that use unconventional badges(and most don't), then it's no problem, it works just fine so go nuts. This issue applies to ONLY this one option, but it is something to be aware of.

FAQ:

Q: Is this mod compatible with RoG, custom character mods, other HUD mods and mod X?

A: Yes, yes, maybe, and probably.

Q: This seems really similar to X, an already existing mod. Are you trying to rip them off?

A: No. I'm sorry if it seems like I'm trying to steal thunder from mod X. I honestly have no idea if this exact mod has been done before and I really don't care.

Q: Can you add feature X?

A: No, sorry, this mod is all about keeping it simple.

Q: I hate this mod! It's too simple! There's not enough numbers! I need lots of things that could make it incompatible with other mods and crash my game!

A: Okay. Thanks for stopping by.

Recent changes:

-Added options for arrows.

-Fixed another conTROLLer issue.

-Fixed current health value not displaying when opening the crafting menu with a controller.(Sorry it took so long to get around to this, I've been REALLY busy lately.)

-Fixed Wolfgang's total health showing decimal places.

-Added an adaptive colors option.

-Fixed custom colors not showing up as they should(sorry I didn't notice it not working, I don't typically use this option)

-Added the option see the temperature in either Celsius or Fahrenheit.

-Added a configuration menu. To find it, go to the main menu, then mods, highlight Simple HUD and a configuration button should appear.

-The temperature is now displayed, this can be disabled by changing "true" to "false" at the top of modmain.lua

-Fixed woodie's werebeaver icon bug.

What's New in Version 06/05/15 04:25 AM   See changelog

Released

No changelog available for this version.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

A: Okay. Thanks for stopping by.

Love it.

Mod is awesome, too. Clean, simple, balanced. not like 1000 (OK, about 384) other mods designed to make the game easier.

Probably works with RPG HUD, because they don't touch the original icons. but they already got lots of cluttered numbers. So now one could Clutter it up even more, with doubleups! aawesome! {was going for funny irony - sounds weird and sarcastic on paper}.

I use  StatusPlus, I think this might break that one, as Status removes the icons. i might try this one in it's place, as i prefer the idea of "as close to vanilla as possible". I look to mods for more bug-fix type stuff, personally.

Well done, @Mouse.

Love it.

Mod is awesome, too. Clean, simple, balanced. not like 1000 (OK, about 384) other mods designed to make the game easier.

Probably works with RPG HUD, because they don't touch the original icons. but they already got lots of cluttered numbers. So now one could Clutter it up even more, with doubleups! aawesome! {was going for funny irony - sounds weird and sarcastic on paper}.

I use  StatusPlus, I think this might break that one, as Status removes the icons. i might try this one in it's place, as i prefer the idea of "as close to vanilla as possible". I look to mods for more bug-fix type stuff, personally.

Well done, @Mouse.

Thank you. I feel pretty much the same way about huds and such so I hope you're enjoying it.

I must have missed the discussion about compatibility issues that is supposedly present in substitutive mod which I believe to be Always On Status (I cannot think of any other substitue for this mod). As I have not encountered any incompatibilities with it along 50 other mods I am very curious what kind of incompatibility there possibly is...?

I must have missed the discussion about compatibility issues that is supposedly present in substitutive mod which I believe to be Always On Status (I cannot think of any other substitue for this mod). As I have not encountered any incompatibilities with it along 50 other mods I am very curious what kind of incompatibility there possibly is...?

I'm not going to name names. This isn't about singling anyone out.

this mod say the lvl of evil and the temperature ?

lvl of evil? Can you clarify that sentence for me?

And yes, it shows temperature in day clock(maximize third screenshot to see).

I like the idea of this mod a lot. It's very helpful for beginners who tend to overeat and would help them plan their food needs for the day (I use it with a tool tips mod that reveals food values.)

I would like to see this for DST, is that possible? Lots of beginner players there could use it.

I like the idea of this mod a lot. It's very helpful for beginners who tend to overeat and would help them plan their food needs for the day (I use it with a tool tips mod that reveals food values.)

I would like to see this for DST, is that possible? Lots of beginner players there could use it.

Well I have to wait for a Linux version of DST before I can say "yes" or "no" to that. Kind of ironic, huh? Most beneficial to new players but by the time a Linux version comes out, new players won't be new anymore.

Any chances for DST version? I haven't found ANY DST hud mod that would be as convenient to use as this :(

On 4/1/2016 at 2:56 PM, Estel said:

Any chances for DST version? I haven't found ANY DST hud mod that would be as convenient to use as this :(

There's a DST version in the Steam Workshop.