Beefalos: What do they do? Do they do things? Let's find out.

Douglas.

We all know the famous mob, Beefalo, from DS (Dark Souls).

After YEARS of playing Don't Starve, I can safely state that I have ran thousands of experiments about Beefalo, and I found these strategies:

1. The player can wait for nightfall when the Beefalo are asleep and plant a circle of Trees around the herd. By building a Campfire next to the Trees and feeding it fuel, the Trees will eventually catch on fire. Some of the Beefalo will perish in the fire, but the meat remains. The upsides of this strategy is that it's fairly easy to do. Furthermore, the burnt Trees can be chopped down and will then leave charcoal once chopped. However, it should be noted that this method will burn the wool, so only attempt this if meat is what the player is after,
  2. at night when they sleep in a tight group, the player can use a Razor to shave the ones on the outside so the wool will be dropped on the ground, then light the wool up with a torch. The fire will damage the Beefalo for easier combat,
  3. and the player can finally lead the chasing Beefalo away from the herd and kill it using the Ice Staff, and since it has 20 uses and relatively cheap material cost, this is a very effective way of safely farming Beefalo for their meat and fur for a long time.

As you see, I'm a heavy, heavy Beefalo opposer, as inspired by /r/dontstarve. I do not advocate for Beefalo rights, and do not want them to be able to marry each other, I think it's disgusting and not what Maxwell intended.

But what about Koalephant rights? Do you stand with me in my belief that blue Koalephants are inherently better than red Koalephants  and therefore should be the masters of their sub-pachydermic red subordinates?  

As a Wicker player, On Tentacles is a great way to get both monster meat and regular meat, plus some weapons and more spots. You can read the book slowly to summon a few tentacles at a time, allowing you to dupe tentacle drops at the expense of papyrus granted the herd is large. Or, you can summon many in a densely packed area, created with the help of broken walls in a hollowed square like pattern so as to guide the spawns of the tentacles in the center of the square. Doing this creates a death trap where many tentacles can all focus the same target at least initially. The player can aggro the herd and kite them around the square in hopes that the tentacles begin to pick beefalo off one at a time.

37 minutes ago, Endrew said:

But what about Koalephant rights? Do you stand with me in my belief that blue Koalephants are inherently better than red Koalephants  and therefore should be the masters of their sub-pachydermic red subordinates?  

I was going to comment - but I see this is a sophisticated topic of which I should become fully informed on before stating my opinion.  Are there any religious texts, in latin or otherwise, which I can review to gain insight into the creation and origin of these species that I might better respect their culture and avoid any micro-aggressions?

22 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

I was going to comment - but I see this is a sophisticated topic of which I should become fully informed on before stating my opinion.  Are there any religious texts, in latin or otherwise, which I can review to gain insight into the creation and origin of these species that I might better respect their culture and avoid any micro-aggressions?

If I were you I would read the words of the gods themselves, the developer's logs.

7 minutes ago, Endrew said:

If I were you I would read the words of the gods themselves, the developer's logs.

Ah, the mystical tongue of lua...  While I am versed in ancient C++ and C#, I haven't kept up on new age mysticism.  I would likely decipher some scripts, but the accuracy may be sub-par for any divine communion...

4 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Why an ice staff, when you can just lead them away from the herd and hit them with a tentacle spike?

You can't destroy which was here to destroy itself;

"... at night when they sleep in a tight group, the player can use a Razor to shave the ones on the outside so the wool will be dropped on the ground, then light the wool up with a torch. The fire will damage the Beefalo for easier combat,"

You didn't think I was serious, right?

41 minutes ago, Douglas. said:

You can't destroy which was here to destroy itself;

"... at night when they sleep in a tight group, the player can use a Razor to shave the ones on the outside so the wool will be dropped on the ground, then light the wool up with a torch. The fire will damage the Beefalo for easier combat,"

You didn't think I was serious, right?

dude and now you come in and spoil it.  Where is the illusion?  I thought we had something...

Archived