Do i buy the whole Dont Starve pack with DLC or just DST?

Im not really sure what one i should purchase id obviously rather wannna play with people at some point so it sounds obvious but im not sure.

Also, on GOG they have the dont starve sale with DLC, is that able to be activated on steam, thanks alot.

Look forward to getting the game and having some fun

Greetings @motionl2, welcome to the forums!

I recommend you start with Don't Starve single-player, learn the basics of the game and then buy Don't Starve Together and play with strangers and make new friends!

Be aware that DST is much more difficult (Increased health on a lot of enemies) and has more features than DS!

45 minutes ago, mathem99 said:

Greetings @motionl2, welcome to the forums!

I recommend you start with Don't Starve single-player, learn the basics of the game and then buy Don't Starve Together and play with strangers and make new friends!

Be aware that DST is much more difficult (Increased health on a lot of enemies) and has more features than DS!

Yep, but DS has Adventure Mode! So you really do have to start with Single-player seeing as DST is kinda the sequel, story-wise

6 hours ago, motionl2 said:

Im not really sure what one i should purchase id obviously rather wannna play with people at some point so it sounds obvious but im not sure.

The original Don't Starve has many large differences between Don't Starve Together. Most notably, the "difficulty" (This is in quotes for a reason.)

For instance, the original Don't Starve has more effective armor (it prevents taking more damage) and the bosses/monsters have less health as it's aimed for just one person. However, the world can be a lot more cruel - Wildfires spread faster, resources can run out after a long enough time, but, these problems are usually nothing to worry about unless you plan on living in that world for 8,000 days. Don't Starve hammers in the feeling "Everything is out for you"

Don't Starve also has Adventure Mode, a little look into the story as DST comes after the events of the first game - Story wise.
Dangit @Asparagus! You replied while I was typing!

However, in Don't Starve Together, armor is less effective (You'll take more damage), bosses have twice the health, there's quite a few raid bosses (Seven!) But, the world is a little more squishy (Wildfires are far more controllable, resources have plenty of ways to regenerate, etc) and it ultimately rewards you much more for being able to put up with the difficulty it put in DST with some nice new features of friendliness.

4 hours ago, motionl2 said:

Also, on GOG they have the dont starve sale with DLC, is that able to be activated on steam, thanks alot.

Look forward to getting the game and having some fun

Don't listen to people who say buy the singleplayer, they don't update that game anymore. If you want any of the new stuff, YOU HAVE TO  have Together.

It's stupid, and they broke their promise that they wouldn't abandon the single-player.

Just buy Together, it's just like the Singleplayer with RoG and new updates.

3 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Don't listen to people who say buy the singleplayer, they don't update that game anymore. If you want any of the new stuff, YOU HAVE TO  have Together.

It's stupid, and they broke their promise that they wouldn't abandon the single-player.

They're not adding new content, but they are adding polish by fixing game-breaking bugs (dunno if that applies to shiprekt) and leaving fun optional exploits.

17 hours ago, HamBatter said:

They're not adding new content, but they are adding polish by fixing game-breaking bugs (dunno if that applies to shiprekt) and leaving fun optional exploits.

It's just ridiculous that because they added multiplayer, the singleplayer has died.

Imagine if in Minecraft, you couldn't get horses unless you were in multiplayer. It's just absurd. 

On 3/7/2017 at 11:20 AM, TheKingofSquirrels said:

If you want any of the new stuff, YOU HAVE TO  have Together.

And honestly? I want it to stay that way. Look at the DST changes: Disease, raid bosses, character nerfs, an item that makes spoilage trivial, unbreakable walls... DS has more than enough content and I want Klei to leave it exactly how it is. 

Single player DS is easier and more "raw". It has more "sad" tone (at least for me). Buy it first, if you prefer, to learn the basics before joining Together + You are a fan of survival game's in general.

Don't bother with single player DS and just buy Together if you are comfortable with learning basics on the fly (with higher difficulty) + You like more "friendly" tone (pets, other players help, etc) + You are a fan of multiplayer games in general.

22 hours ago, voyager156 said:

Single player DS is easier and more "raw". It has more "sad" tone (at least for me). Buy it first, if you prefer, to learn the basics before joining Together + You are a fan of survival game's in general.

Don't bother with single player DS and just buy Together if you are comfortable with learning basics on the fly (with higher difficulty) + You like more "friendly" tone (pets, other players help, etc) + You are a fan of multiplayer games in general.

This is so true.

Archived