Show Us Your Colony

This went extremely well until cycle 80 or so. Even had a working Bristleberry farm and stuff. I missed my water getting low and there was no feasible pool closeby to pump into my reservoirs, so I started experimenting with stuff, like using dead bodies and Morbs to produce emergency oxygen. Surprisingly that worked, but I just started too late, so now I'm at stress 100% for a lot of guys and people start suffocating.

I learned a lot from this run though: how to make a working Bristleberry farm, how to effectively steady up a water-decontamination cycle, how Gas Valves work exactly, how stacking up Cots is really really bad, how and when people leave Massage Tables for jobs with a lower priority than the Massage Table, how Air Scrubbers kinda stink pretty hard and a bunch of more stuff.

My goals for the next run are to have a more structured base design with considerably shorter pathways and using a centralized oxygen-system that cycles air and keeps up pressure via multiple valved vents so I can run a hydrogen generator consistently, and filter and sort all other gasses.
Eventually I wanna replace Airlocks to the outside with water based airlocks, because I think these will completely get rid of any air-exchange between the outside and inside and currently the way to do it is either wonky or uses power for a Gas Pump unneccessarily.

Untitled2.png

Oh god I've survived till day 100 without any stress lashing out thing. (it was some kind of milestone for me)

20170301120126_1.jpg

I also tried messing around with a cooling chamber (worked well...soo well I chilled my plant to 5 Celsius)

20170301120133_1.jpg

20170301120136_1.jpg

but then...I was out of Coal...out of coal our of power...out of power out of algea..out of algea out of oxygen.

also ran out of sand to filter...there should be something to crush sandstone or something to make filtering material.

I was using water in the toilet / shower system in a loop. So I didn't need to pump water in it anymore. (you know it's gonna get dirty again)

20170301120825_1.jpg

but as I tried to rush for coal or any valuable resources.. I've stressed them out.

Absolutely loving the game - I hope to see some more intricate mechanics for oxygen gen / food gen / water gen.

Had a few deaths in the early stages of construction, due to oxygen / pressure / food balance; but sitting stable with 12 dups, currently only thing limiting the lifetime of this base is sand availability - would be nice if this was a byproduct of the planter boxes after full growth cycles. Full stress / vomit / "toilet" water 'generation.' 
Tried doing the steam gen, but it's way too slow to be effective, at least when only using batteries for heat gen. 
Had 4 pufts in the big green room with ladders but they died, I think they die due to high temps? Haven't experimented further.
Also sad that Abyssalite exposure (as shown in one of the screens) doesn't cause contaminated oxygen condensation (also, why not abyss tiles for cooling? =(  *sad times* ); would be a fun mechanic.

20170301132517_1.jpg

20170301132523_1.jpg

20170301132526_1.jpg

20170301132530_1.jpg

20170301132536_1.jpg

20170301132548_1.jpg

20170301132745_1.jpg

20170301132753_1.jpg

Cycle 133.

Around a dozen of failed experiments (cracks in the tiles and doors shows those) and several succesfull ones (and it is an open question - what has been worse).
A building project for efficient use of wild fauna for contamination processing, closed water cycle for dupes cleansing purposes and a... special place for personnel rotation scheme.

Warning: huge picture!

sVXKPpqm.jpg

I wonder what devs will come up with this, some ways to use liquid Chlorine in some new tech.

And actually chlorine in this game as i see is made from bleach stone so it works kinda like microbe killer.And with this it must be used to kill some microbes/contaminations maybe?Like pump this chlorine in some rooms to kill specific kinds of aggresive life forms.

This is my third attempt.  I actually walked away from it for about 18 hours and never lost a dupe.  I am keeping it small, focusing on sustainability.  I know that it will fail eventually due to lack of resources (too dependent on sand) but I am just seeing how many cycles I can get through.

Cycle 442.jpg

Made a image collab to show the entire thing in decent detail in one image:

NsTMxXk.jpg

This my third attempt at making a base. I learned from previous ones to encapsulate the base early on so that air pressure remains pretty dense. I'm not sure if it's super necessary, but I'm using two-door airlocks with a cycling room in between to limit gas loss. I also made some hydro generators down the bottom where the ladders are on a different run, but I barely got half a day of generation out of them before I ran out of hydrogen. I reloaded and tried up the top, but got a similar issue. Never a problem with water though, since I siphoned off two dirty water lakes (the right dirty chamber was almost entirely filled) and converted for near constant water cleansing. Food also not an issue, although I could never get brickle berry to grow. Also started purifying on the right until I realized dirty oxygen isn't really a big deal.

One major criticism I have for base building right now is Gas Cycling - there's basically no simple method for it. To oxygenate your base, you just have to HOPE the gases go where you want them to. In something like Space Station 13, nearly every room has a intake and output vent for constant gas cycling. Pump out pure air mix, take in dirty air mix and purify in Atmospherics, then cycle back around. Since the only air pump we have is a giant 4-tile thing that only works with sufficient gases around, it's nearly impossible to implement that kind of system, so you get gas build up in annoying places unless you build the entire base like a funnel down to conversion centres. Maybe some kind of advanced gas tech could get you single-tile input and output vents, as well as a more advanced filter station (exports to gas bottles, maybe?). I dunno if its just me but I constantly keep running out of O2.

Oh, and I also hope we can get a 'Dump Zone' option soon; where Dupes can take bottled liquid and dump it on a certain tile.

Nice base! But in the current state of the game you shouldn't build showers as dupes never complete a shower so they just waste time in them and get none of the benefits. If you are having problems with food, one dupe needs about 3 Mealwood plants.

13 minutes ago, SpaceKing said:

One major criticism I have for base building right now is Gas Cycling - there's basically no simple method for it. To oxygenate your base, you just have to HOPE the gases go where you want them to. In something like Space Station 13, nearly every room has a intake and output vent for constant gas cycling.

Yeah I agree completely, its really annoying when I get a corner of my room with unbreathable air.

13 minutes ago, SpaceKing said:

Oh, and I also hope we can get a 'Dump Zone' option soon; where Dupes can take bottled liquid and dump it on a certain tile.

Oh yes, this! I wish mop put the liquid in bottles or at least took them to a designated area, maybe a "sink" building where they go to empty bottles the find.

You could have an air pump somewhere in the middle of your base and then have vents on the side. Use a air pressure valve to adjust the flow to each vent to a slow constant stream and everything should just cycle effortlessly. 

5 hours ago, Manet said:

Nice base! But in the current state of the game you shouldn't build showers as dupes never complete a shower so they just waste time in them and get none of the benefits.

They only "never complete a shower" if there's not enough water supply to the shower, from what I've seen.

3 minutes ago, Targa_X said:

They only "never complete a shower" if there's not enough water supply to the shower, from what I've seen.

Correct. I have no problem with showers... even if the output is looped back to the input for unlimited free water. You just need a pipe at least 12 squares long. Note that it will be patched soon (I hope) so might as well set it up correctly.

On 02/03/2017 at 1:53 PM, Playerovich said:

300+

oni_map.jpg

TMC_2.sav

I notice that I can't see any pufts on this map. I's it just a case of you killing them by accident? Or the fact that you effectively opened up the magma so the heat is managing to spread everywhere and their overheating. Just curious.

These guys are thriving.  Two of my dupes have been exiled to a leper colony in the slime biome, completely sealed off from the rest of the base.  A third is about to join them, once I work out all the details involved with expanding the mealwood farm.

20170305053505_1.jpg

20170305053532_1.jpg

20170305053607_1.jpg

20170305053723_1.jpg

Trying to keep a clean base

OE4wL67.jpg

Working on vacuum sealing off the area I'll put my steam distillery in.

gfQPD2J.jpg

I think it should work, don't see why it wouldn't. I'll complete the seal wall and run access through the abbysalite on the right. Only that corner ladder piece should conduct heat and it should mostly sit at just milligrams of gas.

Also I have a hatch that eats my poop....

3InsnCT.jpg

Archived