The Game Is Too Easy After The First Year?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should Every Year Get Slightly Harder? (Example: The Next Winter Will be Colder, The Next Bearger will have 10-25% more HP)

• Yes, this will make the game have an more in-depth feeling of impending doom
    • No, the game is too hard, and this will make beginners leave the game
    • I believe there's a much better solution and will masterfully reply why!

It seems that nowadays in DST or DS, If you happen to survive 1 year you basically kind of beat the game, the other end game content is the Bee Queen, or Dragonfly and Toadstool, maybe Klaus too. Otherwise you "beat" the game since you're a survivor because after 1 year you have a super mega huge base or are a nomadic expert survivalist.

After 1 year more hound waves appear other than that nothing changes.

Which leads me to my suggestion and feedback of the game and my idea.

How about every single year survived, bosses get slightly stronger and summer or winter becomes hotter or colder?

Let me make an example, if it was -10 Celsius the first year in winter, then how about the next year the winter will be -15 Celsius? 

This goes along with Summer too, if it was 30 Celsius the first year, then how about 40 Celsius the next year?

If Deerclops had 4000 HP the first year, how about 4500 HP the next year?

What could be gained from this suggestion being accepted is more of a harder rogue-like experience for the more advanced players and an feeling of impending death since every season ever so gets slightly harder.

Whether the variables make every season 10-25% harder, that's what I would love.

If someone modded this idea/concept I would be extremely happy!

Please give critique or ideas of why this is a flawed suggestion or a well-done suggestion!

With this concept Wilson's beard becomes more useful the next winter, but also means even expert survivalists have to change the way they forage and act in the next year!

peace.png

Maybe instead of just progressively making it colder/hotter, make a blizzard or sandstorm occur every other year or however often. This would reduce visibility, make it colder than usual, and maybe introduce new creatures to find that can only be found during these storms? Maybe your walking speed is reduced because of all the snow/sand piling up and you have to make snowshoes or something.

This idea just seems annoying more than difficult honestly now that I think of it. But I'm not a fan of just throwing health on bosses or make things colder/hotter for difficulty. It's artificial difficulty. (I think that's the term?)

3 hours ago, GiddyGuy said:

What if...

People used Fahrenheit but also included Celsius ...

For the people who were raised with it...Then again I could just use google.

*Sips liptonpea*

I'm sorry, I keep forgetting 99% of the world uses the metric system except the United States and a few exceptions.

I totally agree, we should use both.

lipton a good tea by the way?

1 hour ago, swooooop said:

Maybe instead of just progressively making it colder/hotter, make a blizzard or sandstorm occur every other year or however often. This would reduce visibility, make it colder than usual, and maybe introduce new creatures to find that can only be found during these storms? Maybe your walking speed is reduced because of all the snow/sand piling up and you have to make snowshoes or something.

This idea just seems annoying more than difficult honestly now that I think of it. But I'm not a fan of just throwing health on bosses or make things colder/hotter for difficulty. It's artificial difficulty. (I think that's the term?)

Your blizzard and sandstorm idea caught my attention, I totally want that added in to every single year passes, with every storm getting worse! And not to mention the creatures that can be found in the storms. 

The walking speed is a bit wishy-washy that's a bit overkill.

Maybe, artificial difficulty also slightly increases the loot of the bosses? Would that change your mind?

Maybe, artificial difficulty also slightly increases the loot of the bosses? Would that change your mind?
artificial difficulty is something you generally want to avoid not saying you can't have it but most of the time it doesn't do anything just makes the game more time consuming then difficult  I feel like if small mobs like spiders and hounds over the years could have a small health buff and damage buff like in the Souls series but for bosses NO I would be strongly against that. imo I would just like the hostiles to increase around you like spawning more tentacles maybe have two boss spawns in a given season and just add one as time goes more  two tier nest spawns more camps that stuff I would be happy with that

I am all for making the game more difficult, because our group servers get abandoned after two default years as then there is little challenge and much tedious stuff (I heavily dislike hound waves, because they're a nuisance, nothing scary).

14 hours ago, GiddyGuy said:

What if...

People used Fahrenheit but also included Celsius ...

For the people who were raised with it...Then again I could just use google.

*Sips liptonpea*

Lipton tea? Lipton pee? I kind of agree with the classification :twisted:...

13 hours ago, swooooop said:

Me likes!

11 hours ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

I'm sorry, I keep forgetting 99% of the world uses the metric system except the United States and a few exceptions.

I totally agree, we should use both.

Don't worry. I doubt we are offended.

PS Lipton is the kind of tea which requires the marriage to lemon and a bit of sugar since the other kinds are quite lacklustre - for Earl Grey, go for Tetley or Packers' Best.

Heh heh.  I know Celsius is more global, but...it seems Fahrenheit is more _specific_ sometimes. Like, 210 degrees of Fahrenheit = only 100 of Celsius.  That means there's like...more than one F degree in each C?  (I know that's not the actual conversion formula.  Heh.) 

At any rate, a couple times I was complaining that it was "over 100 degrees" last summer to other people on my server...and when I sensed the dumbfounded silence coming over the airwaves I was like "...I mean Fahrenheit!"  : P  Good god, I just told them it was literally _boiling_--no wonder they were weirded out!  (laugh)* 

(Also, I don't think I'll ever get used to saying things like "It's 38 degrees out" when I wanna say it's hot.  38 will just always sound like a coldish number to me...)

Aaaanyway...I'm not sure about the temperature getting more severe every year.  I've already been through one Summer of Death and I don't want things to get worse than even _that_, which I'm sure must've been a glitch.  Or, things getting progressively worse in general.  I liked getting to Day 500 and I wouldn't want to like, never be able to do that again.

How about...there's a _chance_ to get storms each year after the first, and you don't know whether you'll get one or not, except maybe little clues, like, the trees start dropping their leaves extra early before winter or you start overheating early on into the spring, as a Sign?  I dunno.  Of course, for people like me who like to randomise the seasons, I'll have NO idea!  : P

This is all just an idea for a mod anyway, not actual canon programming, so hey!  Go nuts.

...Notorious

*Then we had an entire week where it was in the single digits (well BELOW freezing, in F) in the winter of the same year...I'm beginning to wonder at this point if I AM living in the Reign of Giants climate.  Yeek.

1 hour ago, Arlesienne said:

offended

13 hours ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

Oh...you know what just use Celsius I just saw how you used only Celsius so I just felt like making a stupid comment, I was not offended in anyway. xd

1 hour ago, CaptainChaotica said:

At any rate, a couple times I was complaining that it was "over 100 degrees" last summer to other people on my server...and when I sensed the dumbfounded silence coming over the airwaves I was like "...I mean Fahrenheit!"  : P  Good god, I just told them it was literally _boiling_--no wonder they were weirded out!  (laugh)* 

:ok_hand::skin-tone-2: 

9 hours ago, Donke60 said:

artificial difficulty is something you generally want to avoid not saying you can't have it but most of the time it doesn't do anything just makes the game more time consuming then difficult  I feel like if small mobs like spiders and hounds over the years could have a small health buff and damage buff like in the Souls series but for bosses NO I would be strongly against that. imo I would just like the hostiles to increase around you like spawning more tentacles maybe have two boss spawns in a given season and just add one as time goes more  two tier nest spawns more camps that stuff I would be happy with that

Two bosses more spawn each season and more two tier nests.

Doesn't that still fall into artificial difficulty?

5 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

I am all for making the game more difficult, because our group servers get abandoned after two default years as then there is little challenge and much tedious stuff (I heavily dislike hound waves, because they're a nuisance, nothing scary).

Lipton tea? Lipton pee? I kind of agree with the classification :twisted:...

Me likes!

Don't worry. I doubt we are offended.

PS Lipton is the kind of tea which requires the marriage to lemon and a bit of sugar since the other kinds are quite lacklustre - for Earl Grey, go for Tetley or Packers' Best.

Pretty much what you said, after 1 year or 2 the game is kind of "beaten", therefore people start to lose interest soon as the learn the game's learning curve, and all the mechanics.

@Ecu I vaguely remember also said that the end game content needs a total overhaul considering there isn't enough content to keep the game interesting at the end, I think it was @Ecu, not too sure.

5 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Heh heh.  I know Celsius is more global, but...it seems Fahrenheit is more _specific_ sometimes. Like, 210 degrees of Fahrenheit = only 100 of Celsius.  That means there's like...more than one F degree in each C?  (I know that's not the actual conversion formula.  Heh.) 

(Also, I don't think I'll ever get used to saying things like "It's 38 degrees out" when I wanna say it's hot.  38 will just always sound like a coldish number to me...)

Aaaanyway...I'm not sure about the temperature getting more severe every year.  I've already been through one Summer of Death and I don't want things to get worse than even _that_, which I'm sure must've been a glitch.  Or, things getting progressively worse in general.  I liked getting to Day 500 and I wouldn't want to like, never be able to do that again.

How about...there's a _chance_ to get storms each year after the first, and you don't know whether you'll get one or not, except maybe little clues, like, the trees start dropping their leaves extra early before winter or you start overheating early on into the spring, as a Sign?  I dunno.  Of course, for people like me who like to randomise the seasons, I'll have NO idea!  : P

This is all just an idea for a mod anyway, not actual canon programming, so hey!  Go nuts.

...Notorious

*Then we had an entire week where it was in the single digits (well BELOW freezing, in F) in the winter of the same year...I'm beginning to wonder at this point if I AM living in the Reign of Giants climate.  Yeek.

This is idea was to spice up the game, but maybe artificial difficulty isn't the correct approach.

As @swooooop and as you said, there should be more weather mechanics in the game as the year passes to make the game more progressively difficult, while not being tedious or annoying.

As @Ecu has also said that end game content needs an overhaul, and I totally agree.

uwrlrz5.jpg

I'm heavily reliant to apologize towards the few Americans who were a little confused.

Pff.  Oh, don't be.  I know a _little_ Celsius (for the nerdiest reason ever--I'm a Trekkie, they use metric on the later Star Treks and when I wrote my fanfic* I wanted to make sure I got measurements of things right while still sounding like the way the characters would actually talk). And I know that on that day when we went to Las Vegas in, for some odd reason, _August_, and the air conditioning in the car was busted and I started asking people to hit me over the head so I wouldn't have to feel this anymore, it was 55 C.

To me...that'll always be 130 degrees, though.  Not that I think metric is "bad", just, ya know.  You're used to what you grew up with.  (And again, "55" doesn't sound anywhere near severe enough for "OH DEAR GOD I WANT TO DIE" hot.)

Amusingly, I was thinking of the Simpsons too, but a different episode...I'm not sure, but something about Homer was trying to buy a new car, and he tried out this funny little foreign one, and he asks "What country is this from, anyway?" and the salesman is like, "It...no longer exists."  and then something something about litres to the hectare...?  I can't remember it exactly, but someone will know what scene I'm talking about.

Anyway, sure, as a mod, I'm all for an idea like this.  I agree the idea of _something_ being different from year to year is a good one, just...not sure what, myself...

Another way anybody can up the diffiiculty for themselves at any time is to just play by made-up challenge restrictions, for fun.  Like, right now I'm trying to live as a hunter-gatherer for an entire (normal-season-lengths) RoG year, INCLUDING summer, without being able to make a thermal stone or endothermic fires, among...almost everything else.  (I'll have to live in the caves during summer, and the caves freak me out.)  It's hard but I _choose_ to do it.  Other people come by and are like, "So...where's base, anyway?"--there isn't one!  I can offer you a firepit, a spear and some traps... 

But for the game ITSELF to ramp up the difficulty every year, yeah, that'd take more doing.  Since the way the world is at worldgen is the way it is, normally, until you make a new one with new settings.

...Notorious

*Not THAT kind of fanfic!  It was a Deep Space Nine one that involved time travel and an alternate future.  I likes my sci-fi to be properly sci-fi-ish.

5 hours ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

Two bosses more spawn each season and more two tier nests.

Doesn't that still fall into artificial difficulty?

Pretty much what you said, after 1 year or 2 the game is kind of "beaten", therefore people start to lose interest soon as the learn the game's learning curve, and all the mechanics.

@Ecu I vaguely remember also said that the end game content needs a total overhaul considering there isn't enough content to keep the game interesting at the end, I think it was @Ecu, not too sure.

This is idea was to spice up the game, but maybe artificial difficulty isn't the correct approach.

As @swooooop and as you said, there should be more weather mechanics in the game as the year passes to make the game more progressively difficult, while not being tedious or annoying.

As @Ecu has also said that end game content needs an overhaul, and I totally agree.

uwrlrz5.jpg

I'm heavily reliant to apologize towards the few Americans who were a little confused.

Maybe not uninteresting to play, DST has great replayability. It's more about "now we get a new server". Settings dangerous things to more actually makes you much more OP if you survive the crucial few days: when we had a server with hound mounds and wasps set to more, and - as we had glitches with caves - ruins infused on the surface with clockworks and shadows, I ran for a few days with countless announcements of death, then found a spot and had a giant apiary before winter. Literally living off nothing but honey and meat. More tooth traps that you would ever need. Dapper vests. It really made the world boring faster. So yes, something more than mob scaling would be great.

6 hours ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

I apologize ahead of time for missing points, as I've only skimmed through the thread so far.  As @AlbertDelRiver summoned me, I suppose I can offer some thoughts.

I don't really feel increasing temperature would be a very good solution to increasing difficulty over time.  As is, many people just log out for a server's Winter (and sometimes Summer) already due to the temperature mechanics.  I feel that making them worse would only compount this issue.

Honestly speaking, I am not quite sure how to best implement increasing difficulty in DST.  Ever increasing hounds is a poor mechanic, I agree, and as such there does need to be a different way to handle long term gameplay.  Strictly speaking, my only idea current idea is making disease more strict and implementing similar mechanics that change things up over time.  Storms and/or other events happening more frequently the further you get in would also assist in this rather well.

I feel like the game really shines in the short term gameplay, more than anything.  That said, I could see the long term gameplay being reasonably entertaining if it slowly shook up your survival experience, forcing you to adapt to new conditions.

I think a Terraria style corruption mechanic would do the game good. Basically it starts somewhere in the map and spawns all sorts of nasties and makes everything inside the corrupted place stronger and whatnot. Maybe even enshroud corrupted places into eternal darkness. But to make things fair there would be ways to fight off and contain the corruption by fighting the currently optional bosses and, well, just bosses in general, and getting stuff from the caves and ruins since lore wise that is where a corruption should originate from.

Players could either choose to venture deep inside the corrupted eternal darkness places, where there might also be eternal cold or incredible heat and all sorts of traps and surprises and unstable weather conditions and storms, animals getting crazy inside and so on and on, the possibilities are really endless, but anyway they would go there where they could fight some sort of a shadow boss and defeating it will get rid of the corruption. For a while, before it comes back again even stronger. For the players that aren't good at fighting there could be warding off and containment options that would require resources. From the top of my head imagine turning bees wax into some sort of magical candle that keeps the darkness corruption away till it burns. This would force the players to fight the bee queen also or just slowly run out of honey comb and eventually getting consumed by the everlasting night.

There would also be the possibility of UTILIZING the corruption and controling it for ones benefit, since it might yield unique resources and stuff, as you can already do with the plenty of the world such as Bearger for chopping forests and whatnot but obviously would require great skills and commitment from the players. Plus people just might to choose to live in it for the sake of getting challenged.

I am imagining it something like, inside the corruption if the Deerclops came he would have much more health, bigger speed, faster attack period and so on.

I think it could also help if seasons could last longer, or shorter, randomly. Since right now you kind of know what will happen and when it will happen so it is easy to prepare but what about a sudden winter in the middle of the third autumn that you just weren't ready for or a spring that lasts for 40 days full of frog rains or really long summers that will strain your resources a lot if you will want to stay in the above world. I think the weather and the seasons should be worked on to present one of the biggest challenges in the game with high randomness. Because the wather and the seasons is simply something that you can't control no matter how much you try. And they can mess up things quite a lot.

1 hour ago, Myself49 said:

I think it could also help if seasons could last longer, or shorter, randomly. Since right now you kind of know what will happen and when it will happen so it is easy to prepare but what about a sudden winter in the middle of the third autumn that you just weren't ready for or a spring that lasts for 40 days full of frog rains or really long summers that will strain your resources a lot if you will want to stay in the above world. I think the weather and the seasons should be worked on to present one of the biggest challenges in the game with high randomness. Because the wather and the seasons is simply something that you can't control no matter how much you try. And they can mess up things quite a lot.

Not a bad thing, however we have the option to set seasons to random. How about telling us more about this corruption? I can see excessive use of nightmare fuel doing that.

:D  Yo!  Habitual season-randomiser right here!  (bows)  However...it doesn't randomise _quite_ the way I'd wanted...in Together, the game kind of "rolls the dice" for the length of each season the _first_ time they each (potentially!) show up...then it keeps those new numbers from every year then on.  Making a predictable pattern, once you make it through the first year.  Singleplayer random seasons appear to have been programmed by somebody on LSD--it randomises _every time you play_.  Meaning IT CAN CHANGE BETWEEN SAVING AND LOADING.  Saved in summer, came back to find everything...blue...and rushed to put out my endothermic fire before it _killed_ me.

The _best_ way to do random seasons, in my opinion, is something in between the too-stable of one and the chaos-in-a-way-that-breaks-gameplay-sense of the other--the game rolls for the length of each season when it's about to start _and keeps it that way until done_, EACH time that season comes around, not just once and then stick with it.  Ah well.  I gots my 40-day-winters world and I LIKES it!

...or made myself get used to it, at least.  : P

Anyway.  A lot of these ideas sound cool but...a bit too extreme?  I mean, _more_ rains of frogs, sure, but not EVERY.  SINGLE.  DAY.  The corruption idea is interesting, but I'd want some way to actually just _destroy_ a spot of it, after a while.  I mean, it'd be very difficult of course--taking multiple players, weapons, sets of armour, healing items (each!) and days to do...but there'd be something just so _satisfying_ about it, ya know?  To go "Phew. That's it.  It's DONE.  I accomplished that."  and, over time, you can cleanse the world...IF you're _lucky_.

Or, not. There could be a setting as to whether corruption grows back or not!  :D

And also, if you make it TOO miserable, good luck finding someone who wants to actually _go_ there...

PLAYER1:  Wanna go to the corruption with me?  There's treasure!

PLAYER2:  Sure, what's it like? 

PLAYER1:  Well, right now it's spring, so that means it'll be... (checks watch) raining frogs.

PLAYER2:  You sure about that?  When does it stop?

PLAYER1:  At the end of spring.  Then it turns so hot your character starts suffocating and walks slower, while your HP slowly drains*.

PLAYER2:  Um...I just remembered...I have a...food...in the oven.

(Player2 has disconnected)

Well at least, that's what _I'd_ do.  Heh.  Anyway--ominousness with the constant THREAT that something _might_ attack you really hard, not actual constant attack.  Think more suspense and less slasher-movie, for the atmosphere.

Speaking of...we kind of already _have_ a dangerous thing that spreads and gets worse if you leave it unchecked.  It's called "spider nests".  ;)  Seriously, though, the first time I realised that...what...things in this world change when I'm not there to see them?  And they get bigger?  And if I leave them alone OH DEAR GOD WHAT IS THAT THING AAAAA! it creeped the _crap_ out of me.  Still kind of an icky feeling.  It...takes over...if you ignore it for too long...  A creepy mechanic and probably a good metaphor for lots of real-life things.

Also, I dunno about you, but I have a hard time dodging the Deerclop's attack as it is, at a full run!  How about just upping _one_ of the boss's stats?  Speed OR HP OR attack power...and you don't know which one it is...  But be careful with speed.  The Dragonfly is already faster than you, the Deerclops's AoE attack just BARELY misses you even if you know it's coming and are already running...any faster than that and it would go from "hard but dodgeable if you're clever" to "Welp.  Hope you were at full HP!"  (Sure, there are those who'll go:  "Oh, pssh, all the bosses are EASY!  Everything can be dodged, you don't have to get hit at all, and it's not even hard!", but they've gotta be a minority.  And, since this is dsT...lag is a thing.)

Although, of course, this has nothing to do with _me_ and I'm not the one making it...I'm just joining in 'cos it's an interesting idea and I like discussing design/writing stuff.  :)

...Notorious

*I originally was gonna say something here about "so hot your hair catches on fire if you're away from shade for a full minute" but the corruption is dark CLOUDS, right?  So, _opressive_-hot.  Yeah.

13 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

How about telling us more about this corruption?

Alright this is how I imagine it all to be. Thought of this stuff today.

First let us start with some lore behind the corruption.

Right now it is Charlie sitting on the nightmare throne and she's in charge and pretty bipolar. Now let's say her bad side starts taking over, the world starts getting harsher and harsher to the point where the players decide enough is enough and take the fight to her. And thus we have the long desired Charlie fight I keep reading on the forums about. Now that the players got rid of the Big Sister, they are in charge of their destinies. OR ARE THEY? Little did they know that it was Charlie that kept the shadow creatures and corrupted ancients at bay! Obviously it was becoming harder and harder which is why slowly her shadow side was winning over and why the world started becoming a pretty awful place. But it is too late for that now. Charlie is gone and there is nothing to hold back the insanity anymore. In the end she was but a tragic hero.

The ancients who lived their lives underground, now corrupted and twisted by Them, but still just as technologically and magicaly apt as before, now start making the outside world their place. And since they pretty much all went insane, I'd like to imagine them as little curious kids with a lot of power. And so with their magic they start shaping the outside world to their liking. Maybe this insane magician fancies snow so he will make his area an eternal winter full of murderous snowmen. That other guy fancies summer so he will make it awfuly hot. Some guys just like to keep pets so why not corrupt and ensalve a Deerclops or two? Either way, slowly they are taking over more and more of the outside area. They are taking YOUR world. And you can't have that now can you?

Luckily, Charlie was a smart enough girl to see something so idiotic happening and so she made sure the ancients could be fought if they ever get out. Remember that giant Bee she made that drops a hat that turns insanity into sanity? Well that will come mighty handy when you venture into lands that are insanity incarnate. And the honeycombs will come in handy when you make warding candles that will be able to hold back the ancients at bay while they burn. Pretty much all the stuff added in New Reign should be able to be used to fight the ancients.

Alright so you either decide to contain those insane buggers or decide to take the fight to them. How do you get rid of them eventually? Well one thing that comes to mind would be using the Shadow Atrium to resurrect Charlie so she can go back to keeping the nerds in check. But obviously she won't be able to do that forever. She will become insane again. And eventually the whole process will have to repeat all over again.

Alright how does this rough story translate into gameplay? I know there are people that like short games and I know there are people that would like the games to last as long as possible. I know there are people that don't like fighting very much and I know there are peopel who like to challenge themselves and so they fight full HP enraged Klaus' alone. And I think these suggestion will satisfy pretty much everyone.

First, the game getting progressively harder.

I am thinking that the "bad" seasons could grow longer and longer or being plain out of whack random, hound attacks intensifying, not being able to chop much wood without getting 20 treeguards on your ass and so on an on. Basically Charlie is going crazy and so is the world. Two things can happen. Either you finally succumb to the world going crazy hard and there you have your short and in the last moments certainly intense game, or you take the fight to Charlie. Killing her will make the world a much softer place. Hardly any hound attacks, the seasons being the proper length, basically the world becomes just an ordinary place.

But at the same time this triggers an event that will make the world progressively even harder as it get consumed by eternal darkness and a bunch of pretty insane dudes coming out of the ruins. Now how does this translate into gameplay?

Well there would be these centers of the corruption appearing that would affect their surroundings. Further away from in the animals would become more agressive, spiders would roam the earth even during sunlight, random shadow creatures or creatures of the ruins could be spotted outside. Nightmare fissures could appear all around. Steadily these darkness patches would keep growing and slowly consuming the whole world unless contained. The problem is, they could appear ANYWHERE. So unless you have your whole world mapped and under watch, things could, and will, get hairy. The bigger it becomes, the harder it will be to contain it. I am imagining situations where things get so bad you only contain the stuff around your base and cling to your dear lives as you try to get enough resources to take the fight to them. And the resources you need would be from the very same creatures Charlie added during her reign. So you better start stocking up. And then it is a do or die kind of time with heroic last stands or even more heoric last charges.

Okay so now we have these corrupted areas. How do they translate into gameplay?

Basically it is always night in these places. And it is not like clouds that overshadow the stuff. It is more like fog made out of shadows. The trees and creatures would get completely twisted and corrupted in these affected areas and would drop different things that their normal counterparts. The whole place would be out of whack as there could be extreme cold in one place and few steps further it would already be summer tier temperatures with frog rain 24/7. Better get some specialized lights from boss fights because normal fire and lanterns won't last very long in these areas.

I think thulecite structures and walls and nightmare lights and basically all the creepy ancient stuff should start randomly appearing on the surface in the corrupted area to basically simulate them building a new civilization outside. This would make the stuff dangerously renewable which is what players have been asking for as well.

Anyway there should be like centres of the corruption which when you defeat their respective guardian and plug the hole, it will erase the corruption in a largeish area around but will also make every other area not cured stronger. Basically, you will keep curing the corruption, making every other source stronger until you get to the last one with the main boss. It would work a lot like the Shadow Pieces do now.

At the place of the last boss, you basically use the Shadow Heart to resurrect Charlie and bring "order" back into the world. For a while.

Either way, let's do a some sort of summary of what this stuff could bring into the game. So...

TL;DR

World getting harder and harder at first - satisfies people who like short intense games

Charlie boss fight - is something pretty desired by many people I think

Defeating Charlie would give some breathing space and would sort of a "soft" reset the world

If you can contain the corruption easily, resurrecting Charlie for another reset should be easy

If you can't, welcome to hard mode - this should satify players that want long games but also the game to continue being challenging

Optional living in corruption itself - sort of a harder ruins survival challenge

Items to beat or contain corruption required from optional bosses - incetive to actually fight them

Ruins stuff appearing outside - makes thulecite and other ruins items renewable if willing to take the risk

Game can become an infinite loop with: Charlie getting crazy -> difficulty raising -> Charlie defeated -> difficulty lowering -> ancients appear -> difficulty raising -> ancients defeated and Charlie back on the throne -> difficulty lowering -> back to Charlie getting crazy

Anywaaay I think I went a bit overboard and I doubt anyone will bother reading all of this but it has been fun writing. Tis just one of many of my ideas for this game that is really dear to me and I would like to see it being supported and worked on for a very long time. I think I didn't go into enough detail for some things but there is just too much stuff on my mind. I want to properly explore all the aspects of the current game we can play and then suggest even more stuff.

Sorry for typos I am sure there are crapload of them in the text.

Summer/Winter being hotter/colder wouldn't change anything really, due to how temperature works in Don't Starve. I do agree with bosses with increased health though, since they're already too easy to begin with. Maybe mobs that had their health doubled in multiplayer would also get a tiny buff on stats as time progresses.

On 1/19/2017 at 9:45 AM, Myself49 said:

Alright this is how I imagine it all to be. Thought of this stuff today.

First let us start with some lore behind the corruption.

Right now it is Charlie sitting on the nightmare throne and she's in charge and pretty bipolar. Now let's say her bad side starts taking over, the world starts getting harsher and harsher to the point where the players decide enough is enough and take the fight to her. And thus we have the long desired Charlie fight I keep reading on the forums about. Now that the players got rid of the Big Sister, they are in charge of their destinies. OR ARE THEY? Little did they know that it was Charlie that kept the shadow creatures and corrupted ancients at bay! Obviously it was becoming harder and harder which is why slowly her shadow side was winning over and why the world started becoming a pretty awful place. But it is too late for that now. Charlie is gone and there is nothing to hold back the insanity anymore. In the end she was but a tragic hero.

The ancients who lived their lives underground, now corrupted and twisted by Them, but still just as technologically and magicaly apt as before, now start making the outside world their place. And since they pretty much all went insane, I'd like to imagine them as little curious kids with a lot of power. And so with their magic they start shaping the outside world to their liking. Maybe this insane magician fancies snow so he will make his area an eternal winter full of murderous snowmen. That other guy fancies summer so he will make it awfuly hot. Some guys just like to keep pets so why not corrupt and ensalve a Deerclops or two? Either way, slowly they are taking over more and more of the outside area. They are taking YOUR world. And you can't have that now can you?

Luckily, Charlie was a smart enough girl to see something so idiotic happening and so she made sure the ancients could be fought if they ever get out. Remember that giant Bee she made that drops a hat that turns insanity into sanity? Well that will come mighty handy when you venture into lands that are insanity incarnate. And the honeycombs will come in handy when you make warding candles that will be able to hold back the ancients at bay while they burn. Pretty much all the stuff added in New Reign should be able to be used to fight the ancients.

Alright so you either decide to contain those insane buggers or decide to take the fight to them. How do you get rid of them eventually? Well one thing that comes to mind would be using the Shadow Atrium to resurrect Charlie so she can go back to keeping the nerds in check. But obviously she won't be able to do that forever. She will become insane again. And eventually the whole process will have to repeat all over again.

Alright how does this rough story translate into gameplay? I know there are people that like short games and I know there are people that would like the games to last as long as possible. I know there are people that don't like fighting very much and I know there are peopel who like to challenge themselves and so they fight full HP enraged Klaus' alone. And I think these suggestion will satisfy pretty much everyone.

First, the game getting progressively harder.

I am thinking that the "bad" seasons could grow longer and longer or being plain out of whack random, hound attacks intensifying, not being able to chop much wood without getting 20 treeguards on your ass and so on an on. Basically Charlie is going crazy and so is the world. Two things can happen. Either you finally succumb to the world going crazy hard and there you have your short and in the last moments certainly intense game, or you take the fight to Charlie. Killing her will make the world a much softer place. Hardly any hound attacks, the seasons being the proper length, basically the world becomes just an ordinary place.

But at the same time this triggers an event that will make the world progressively even harder as it get consumed by eternal darkness and a bunch of pretty insane dudes coming out of the ruins. Now how does this translate into gameplay?

Well there would be these centers of the corruption appearing that would affect their surroundings. Further away from in the animals would become more agressive, spiders would roam the earth even during sunlight, random shadow creatures or creatures of the ruins could be spotted outside. Nightmare fissures could appear all around. Steadily these darkness patches would keep growing and slowly consuming the whole world unless contained. The problem is, they could appear ANYWHERE. So unless you have your whole world mapped and under watch, things could, and will, get hairy. The bigger it becomes, the harder it will be to contain it. I am imagining situations where things get so bad you only contain the stuff around your base and cling to your dear lives as you try to get enough resources to take the fight to them. And the resources you need would be from the very same creatures Charlie added during her reign. So you better start stocking up. And then it is a do or die kind of time with heroic last stands or even more heoric last charges.

Okay so now we have these corrupted areas. How do they translate into gameplay?

Basically it is always night in these places. And it is not like clouds that overshadow the stuff. It is more like fog made out of shadows. The trees and creatures would get completely twisted and corrupted in these affected areas and would drop different things that their normal counterparts. The whole place would be out of whack as there could be extreme cold in one place and few steps further it would already be summer tier temperatures with frog rain 24/7. Better get some specialized lights from boss fights because normal fire and lanterns won't last very long in these areas.

I think thulecite structures and walls and nightmare lights and basically all the creepy ancient stuff should start randomly appearing on the surface in the corrupted area to basically simulate them building a new civilization outside. This would make the stuff dangerously renewable which is what players have been asking for as well.

Anyway there should be like centres of the corruption which when you defeat their respective guardian and plug the hole, it will erase the corruption in a largeish area around but will also make every other area not cured stronger. Basically, you will keep curing the corruption, making every other source stronger until you get to the last one with the main boss. It would work a lot like the Shadow Pieces do now.

At the place of the last boss, you basically use the Shadow Heart to resurrect Charlie and bring "order" back into the world. For a while.

Either way, let's do a some sort of summary of what this stuff could bring into the game. So...

TL;DR

World getting harder and harder at first - satisfies people who like short intense games

Charlie boss fight - is something pretty desired by many people I think

Defeating Charlie would give some breathing space and would sort of a "soft" reset the world

If you can contain the corruption easily, resurrecting Charlie for another reset should be easy

If you can't, welcome to hard mode - this should satify players that want long games but also the game to continue being challenging

Optional living in corruption itself - sort of a harder ruins survival challenge

Items to beat or contain corruption required from optional bosses - incetive to actually fight them

Ruins stuff appearing outside - makes thulecite and other ruins items renewable if willing to take the risk

Game can become an infinite loop with: Charlie getting crazy -> difficulty raising -> Charlie defeated -> difficulty lowering -> ancients appear -> difficulty raising -> ancients defeated and Charlie back on the throne -> difficulty lowering -> back to Charlie getting crazy

Anywaaay I think I went a bit overboard and I doubt anyone will bother reading all of this but it has been fun writing. Tis just one of many of my ideas for this game that is really dear to me and I would like to see it being supported and worked on for a very long time. I think I didn't go into enough detail for some things but there is just too much stuff on my mind. I want to properly explore all the aspects of the current game we can play and then suggest even more stuff.

Sorry for typos I am sure there are crapload of them in the text.

_____                            _____                    _____                    _____                   _______                   _____                    _____                        _____                    _____                    _____                _____          
         /\    \                          /\    \                  /\    \                  /\    \                 /::\    \                 /\    \                  /\    \                      /\    \                  /\    \                  /\    \              /\    \         
        /::\    \                        /::\    \                /::\    \                /::\    \               /::::\    \               /::\____\                /::\    \                    /::\    \                /::\____\                /::\    \            /::\    \        
        \:::\    \                      /::::\    \              /::::\    \              /::::\    \             /::::::\    \             /::::|   |               /::::\    \                   \:::\    \              /:::/    /               /::::\    \           \:::\    \       
         \:::\    \                    /::::::\    \            /::::::\    \            /::::::\    \           /::::::::\    \           /:::::|   |              /::::::\    \                   \:::\    \            /:::/    /               /::::::\    \           \:::\    \      
          \:::\    \                  /:::/\:::\    \          /:::/\:::\    \          /:::/\:::\    \         /:::/~~\:::\    \         /::::::|   |             /:::/\:::\    \                   \:::\    \          /:::/    /               /:::/\:::\    \           \:::\    \     
           \:::\    \                /:::/__\:::\    \        /:::/__\:::\    \        /:::/  \:::\    \       /:::/    \:::\    \       /:::/|::|   |            /:::/  \:::\    \                   \:::\    \        /:::/____/               /:::/__\:::\    \           \:::\    \    
           /::::\    \               \:::\   \:::\    \      /::::\   \:::\    \      /:::/    \:::\    \     /:::/    / \:::\    \     /:::/ |::|   |           /:::/    \:::\    \                  /::::\    \      /::::\    \              /::::\   \:::\    \          /::::\    \   
  ____    /::::::\    \            ___\:::\   \:::\    \    /::::::\   \:::\    \    /:::/    / \:::\    \   /:::/____/   \:::\____\   /:::/  |::|   | _____    /:::/    / \:::\    \                /::::::\    \    /::::::\    \   _____    /::::::\   \:::\    \        /::::::\    \  
 /\   \  /:::/\:::\    \          /\   \:::\   \:::\    \  /:::/\:::\   \:::\    \  /:::/    /   \:::\    \ |:::|    |     |:::|    | /:::/   |::|   |/\    \  /:::/    /   \:::\ ___\              /:::/\:::\    \  /:::/\:::\    \ /\    \  /:::/\:::\   \:::\    \      /:::/\:::\    \ 
/::\   \/:::/  \:::\____\        /::\   \:::\   \:::\____\/:::/__\:::\   \:::\____\/:::/____/     \:::\____\|:::|____|     |:::|    |/:: /    |::|   /::\____\/:::/____/     \:::|    |            /:::/  \:::\____\/:::/  \:::\    /::\____\/:::/  \:::\   \:::\____\    /:::/  \:::\____\
\:::\  /:::/    \::/    /        \:::\   \:::\   \::/    /\:::\   \:::\   \::/    /\:::\    \      \::/    / \:::\    \   /:::/    / \::/    /|::|  /:::/    /\:::\    \     /:::|____|           /:::/    \::/    /\::/    \:::\  /:::/    /\::/    \:::\  /:::/    /   /:::/    \::/    /
 \:::\/:::/    / \/____/          \:::\   \:::\   \/____/  \:::\   \:::\   \/____/  \:::\    \      \/____/   \:::\    \ /:::/    /   \/____/ |::| /:::/    /  \:::\    \   /:::/    /           /:::/    / \/____/  \/____/ \:::\/:::/    /  \/____/ \:::\/:::/    /   /:::/    / \/____/ 
  \::::::/    /                    \:::\   \:::\    \       \:::\   \:::\    \       \:::\    \                \:::\    /:::/    /            |::|/:::/    /    \:::\    \ /:::/    /           /:::/    /                    \::::::/    /            \::::::/    /   /:::/    /          
   \::::/____/                      \:::\   \:::\____\       \:::\   \:::\____\       \:::\    \                \:::\__/:::/    /             |::::::/    /      \:::\    /:::/    /           /:::/    /                      \::::/    /              \::::/    /   /:::/    /           
    \:::\    \                       \:::\  /:::/    /        \:::\   \::/    /        \:::\    \                \::::::::/    /              |:::::/    /        \:::\  /:::/    /            \::/    /                       /:::/    /               /:::/    /    \::/    /            
     \:::\    \                       \:::\/:::/    /          \:::\   \/____/          \:::\    \                \::::::/    /               |::::/    /          \:::\/:::/    /              \/____/                       /:::/    /               /:::/    /      \/____/             
      \:::\    \                       \::::::/    /            \:::\    \               \:::\    \                \::::/    /                /:::/    /            \::::::/    /                                            /:::/    /               /:::/    /                           
       \:::\____\                       \::::/    /              \:::\____\               \:::\____\                \::/____/                /:::/    /              \::::/    /                                            /:::/    /               /:::/    /                            
        \::/    /                        \::/    /                \::/    /                \::/    /                 ~~                      \::/    /                \::/____/                                             \::/    /                \::/    /                             
         \/____/                          \/____/                  \/____/                  \/____/                                           \/____/                  ~~                                                    \/____/                  \/____/                              

Archived