Floors showing the material (with a wacky picture example)

I don't know about others, but I really like the look of various materials in the game. And it would feel way better to be able to see them on the floors and walls depending on what these are made of. Building a nicely organized Abyssalite barrier would feel much more rewarding... and give a better certainty of safety ;)

Something like this perhaps? The textures should probably be redone to look more "chopped and pieced back together", but I wouldn't mind much even if they were just thrown in like this:

3Jw6taQ.jpg

Looks very nice. I'd like this.

e. That being said, what about for walls / ceilings / enclosed boxes and the like? Are you proposing that they become tile material enclosed by finished surface? 

I can imagine it being like the above image if you have a tile floor touching raw material, but if it was floating in midair, probably the finished surface on top and bottom with the raw material texture in the middle.

Same thing. Just imagine the gray/pink texture present on blocks we have now is turned to reflect a tiled material texture :) All the floors/walls/ceilings you build in game have a thin frame and are also shaded to be brighter on the edges. That would remain, I just didn't feel like doing a big proper Photoshop job here, just wanted to quickly illustrate what I meant :)

Like I said, I also think it would be cool if the textures on the walls/floors were more tiled. For instance the Sandstone texture could be more reminiscent of a small-brick wall, and Abyssalite could be composed of a dark background with smaller colorful shards scattered within so they all look processed :) And yet similar to the origin material.

This will definitely help when building something and accidentally choosing the wrong material, just because you used it somewhere else and forgot to unselect it. Then again, you might ask yourself how to you distinguish pipes of different materials, or containers, or beds, or every other item ... what about buildings made from different metals ? If each had its own texture I think it would be too much work + the end effect will probably be a wild mess of colors :D.

On 7/8/2018 at 1:58 PM, martosss said:

This will definitely help when building something and accidentally choosing the wrong material, just because you used it somewhere else and forgot to unselect it. Then again, you might ask yourself how to you distinguish pipes of different materials, or containers, or beds, or every other item ... what about buildings made from different metals ? If each had its own texture I think it would be too much work + the end effect will probably be a wild mess of colors :D.

It would, but it's much less common to check material of objects/much easier to check what one object is made of than review a whole lot of tiles. They are pretty crucial when it comes to heat management and also would do the most for visual customizing of the game.

Most object art contains a LOT of materials not actually used in making of it. Hydrogen generator has glass, just off the top of my head :)

Also, what's up with those PLASTIC bottles Dupes sweep water to while we're at it? :D

21 minutes ago, Ellilea said:

It would, but it's much less common to check material of objects/much easier to check what one object is made of than review a whole lot of tiles. They are pretty crucial when it comes to heat management and also would do the most for visual customizing of the game.

Most object art contains a LOT of materials not actually used in making of it. Hydrogen generator has glass, just off the top of my head :)

Also, what's up with those PLASTIC bottles Dupes sweep water to while we're at it? :D

I definitely agree that it will help, I often have problems with materials myself. Unfortunately, once something is built it's not so fast and easy to break it and rebuild it only because you used the wrong material for 2 tiles :( It will be easier to prevent this if you see the material right away and can act fast to fix any mistakes.

And regarding the bottles, I've wondered myself .. maybe eco-friendly plastic (on a meteor ;)) - liquids evaporate through it and it decomposes if liquids change states. However, it's not as hard as normal plastic so you can't use it for construction. Dupes use the printing pod to make it, that's why they have it all the time?  :confused:

Archived