Rjazz's Journey Through The Fine Arts

Rjazz

After commenting on Zek's thread about how his art made me want to start drawing again, I've finally decided to make an art thread! But here's the kicker:

THIS THREAD ISN'T JUST "ART"!

For anyone that didn't know, I'm first and foremost a musician (if the username wasn't a dead giveaway). While I do enjoy drawing and I do have a story bottled up that's waiting to be realized, I'm also a musician and love to create music. Therefore, I'm gonna be posting both music (WIP and finished) as well as the occasional drawing! 

I'm open to criticism, and any feedback is appreciated!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's some of my latest artwork, so you can get a sense of my style and ability right now.

20180208_174244.jpg

Jane Foxwood Digital 1.jpg

Finally decided to draw the protagonist to my story, Jane! 

I dunno how I feel about my anatomy still, I think I drew her a bit too lanky considering she's supposed to be the shortest character of the bunch.

20180213_104429.jpg

Two drawings in one day? I think I've broken any previous record I've made!

For whatever reason, I kept on drawing today and managed to pump out another drawing of Jane!

I tried fixing as many anatomy issues as well, let me know how it is compared to the previous!

I'm also just going to add the second one to the top post as well, simply to fill it out and replace the older picture with something of more substance and more representative of my abilities.

now to pass out from creative exhaustion, see y'all when I'm alive again

Jane Foxwood Digital 1.jpg

5 hours ago, minespatch said:

I'm not sure what's wrong. You're a decent artist. What's Jane's story? She seems to be serious about something.

Okay, maybe it's just my crushing perfectionism then. v(-_-)v

As for Jane, she's an interesting character. To put it simply, she's the quiet one: she's the type of person who's incredibly cunning and athletic, but would never admit it publicly. She can pull off amazing feats of acrobatics that would take any normal person serious training to possibly do, but her overall "smallness" prevents her from hitting very hard or taking very many hits. Her being quiet also means she is not great at communicating, but she can be incredibly intimidating if provoked. She does tend to be a more serious person, contrasting with my next character completely.

The thing on her hand I won't go into detail about, as I'm still working out the specifics about it. It's also possibly my favorite arc that I have written, so I want to keep it a surprise. 

I wouldn't necessarily say so. Her design was initially created to be the antithetical partner to my next character, Rachel: Where Rachel is more brash and lighthearted, Jane is more serious and reserved, and so on and so forth.

Although that view wouldn't necessarily conflict with her design, I have another member of the main five-man-band that fits it much better than Jane does. It's not that she's unsure of herself and her abilities, it'd be more that she is more modest/humble and self-conscious about herself, not wanting to draw unnecessary attention.

Oh hey, a new drawing! I've finally gotten around to drawing Rachel, my first character and the initial protagonist of the story! I say "initial" because...

I dunno, she just didn't seem like the right person to make the protagonist. v(-_-)v

Anyway, I have now drawn my fire and ice combo! I created Jane and Rachel as a "opposites attract" dynamic: Rachel's tall while Jane's short, the former's loud and outgoing while the latter's quiet and reserved, one's sturdy while the other's agile, etc. They may have practically nothing in common with each other, yet they're best friends and practically inseparable once together. It's a fun little dynamic that I love exploring while writing out the script for them!

This definitely wasn't a bad drawing either. I don't even need excessive amounts of Bob Ross to actually say that this time!

just whatever you do don't look at her right hand ok cool thx

20180220_185713.jpg

The hands aren’t that bad, I mean there not as bad as how I draw hands lol. They just look a little stiff, when a hand isn’t doing something it’s not normally completely straight, that’s the only problem I notice with them. The hand on her cheek is pretty good!

4 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

*Looks at right hand*

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with this drawing... except maybe the transparent table. Is it glass?

I kinda got frustrated making the hand look more natural, so at the end I just kinda made a blob, drew four lines and called it a hand. Especially compared to the other hand, I was a bit... lazy with it, to be honest.

Also, I still need loads of practice drawing the entire body in various positions, so I decided I was just gonna draw a line and call it that. Table's not really transparent in the setting I had imagined, but I needed the practice.

2 hours ago, geni0529 said:

The hands aren’t that bad, I mean there not as bad as how I draw hands lol. They just look a little stiff, when a hand isn’t doing something it’s not normally completely straight, that’s the only problem I notice with them. The hand on her cheek is pretty good!

Thanks! Hands are always one of the hardest things to get down, and I think I've finally got a general sense of how to draw them. And again, left hand was a little bit rushed on my part, had I more time I would've made it look a bit more natural.

18 hours ago, minespatch said:

Is she going to use that screwdriver as a weapon?

Is Rachel going to get a design soon?

Find out in the next episode of Dragon Ball Z Kai!

Yes, that is going to be her weapon of choice, though, uhm... 

It's a bit large for a screwdriver, eh? 

I think a collapsable baton would be a better fit for her. Besides, there's no way a giant screwdriver would fit in her jacket's pocket! :p

As for the second question, possibly if I can actually settle on her style of clothes. I'm not quite happy with the prior sketch of her design (the one with the transparent table), as it's not very indicative of her personality. I'll see about sketching up another version of her soon, hopefully I can get it up within a day or two.

I can't speak for the everyone but I think more quiet and reserved characters tend to wear more casual clothes (such as a hoodie and jeans) where as someone who's loud and active  would wear something more revealing and least restrictive (such as a singlet/croptop and denim shorts).

That's just my opinion though.

I just realized that I tagged this thread with "music" and made a big deal about it being more than just art, but I haven't even posted any music yet! 

As such, here's a small little 8-bar song I made while messing around with chord progressions!

Chord Structure Practice.mp3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dang it forums, stop merging my posts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

30 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

I can't speak for the everyone but I think more quiet and reserved characters tend to wear more casual clothes (such as a hoodie and jeans) where as someone who's loud and active  would wear something more revealing and least restrictive (such as a singlet/croptop and denim shorts).

That's just my opinion though.

That's exactly what I was thinking, but it's the specific type of outfit that I'm having trouble deciding on. I want her clothing to contrast as much as possible with Jane's (within reason), so I'm gonna try a few outfits and see which one I like best.

And if I still can't decide, then I'll go ahead and post it here and ask you guys!

Well, I had a good spring break where I was totally productive and did not at all waste time playing absurd amounts of Warframe and Dark Souls III. 100% efficiency, no laziness the entire time.

jk I wasted all my time farming for octavia's parts and grinding out watchdogs of farron 

However, at least I did one thing over spring break: transposition! Since I don't have a formal music theory education (and sadly won't be getting one for a long time due to costs and my schedule), I've been transposing tons of songs in order to get a better understanding of the techniques people use when writing music, and to get ideas about what I could incorporate into my music. After watching a video analyzing the Gourmet Race from Kirby Super Star, I decided to break down and analyze a similar piece from a game I bought semi-recently: The Nightmare Woods (Run Run Rottytops!) from Shantae and the Pirate's Curse! 

I adored the energy and sense of hurry Kaufman put into this piece, and wanted to find some similarities between it and Gourmet Race. 

Here's a sound file of my transposition, and the sheet music as well! (If you don't have a program that can read .ogg files, open it with Chrome.)

Nightmare Woods.ogg

Nightmare Woods.pdf

There's some things I just couldn't do within the constraints of Musescore (i.e. I used bongos instead of the proper drum in the roll transitioning into the second half of the song, I couldn't do anything to replicate the violins during the second half of the song due to it not being a true trill to the semitone above (instead being a trill to the quarter tone above, or trilling to the "halfway" point between the first note and the next note above), the bass pedal was usually accented with hits from a cymbal's bell, etc.), so I had to get creative or leave it out. Overall, I learned a great deal from it and have been trying out some things I learned within another piece I'm working on. 

Alright, now that I'm done stressing like hell and wanting to curl up in a ball and die with all my finals this semester, I can finally get back to doing arts and things!

Yeah, I just haven't had time to do anything recently, since my cell bio lecture was busy destroying my spirits and stacking layers upon layers of stress on my shoulders. But now that it's done and I somehow survived all my classes without any C's, I can finally start practicing and stressing my artistic muscles again!

So to start off, in celebration of Discord's b-day, I drew up a blurple Poppo!

MariePoppoBlurple.jpg.a8207877bd2476bf67e85f33800a5951.jpg

...And that's all for right now! 

Yeah, not much to show. I'll get back to posting more drawings/transcriptions soon enough (I already have a piece 70%-ish transcribed, hopefully it'll be done relatively soon), so keep an eye out!

On 5/9/2018 at 9:53 PM, DragonMage156 said:

Is that a human version of the icon thingy? (Idk that might be Wumpus)

Pretty sure no, Marie Poppo is a character from the game 100% Orange Juice.

She's also the destroyer of hopes and dreams, if left unchecked for more thAN A SINGLE DAMN TURN I SWEAR

I'm not salty at all I swear

Archived