Why I'm Scared for the Future of the Internet

DragonMage156

Ok so basically I'm worried about net neutrality ending. I know it's probably just some hullabaloo about making internet access slower overall but I'm more worried about sites being blocked just because someone can't afford it. Isn't this denying basic human rights and freedom?

There's more about it in these posts: http://emarelda.tumblr.com/post/167742014132

I may be in NZ and may not get affected right away (if at all) but I know a lot of you guys live in/closer to America and I'm worried that one of you guys won't be able to afford sites blocked by internet providers.

Here's a way we can stop this: https://www.battleforthenet.com/

Call/fax/text them. Anything to stop this from happening.

I don't trust them. Why would they need your number to tell you what to say? Surely they can supply you with an up-to-date script using less sensible information.

Though it is true that calling and mailing with the phrase "net neutrality" helps, as it shows demand even to automated statistical systems. In other words, it lets the politicians know that you want this.

I was hoping someone made a post like this on here, it's not just making internet slower which is what is most people are upset about. Without these laws company's can practically do whatever they want with the Internet. Aka if they don't agree with a certain political issue or opinion online they could straight up block that website and its information from you. 

On 11/23/2017 at 8:03 AM, geni0529 said:

I was hoping someone made a post like this on here, it's not just making internet slower which is what is most people are upset about. Without these laws company's can practically do whatever they want with the Internet. Aka if they don't agree with a certain political issue or opinion online they could straight up block that website and its information from you. 

I'd prefer slower websites over blocked tbh. At the very least, my friends and I can still interact without paying money they may not have :/ (not to mention Steam (which I already spend a lot of money on) and art sharing sites).

My government managed to push through a law that allows them to block sites or more accurately forces the internet providers to block certain IP addresses and websites from being accessed in Australia. Naturally being someone with a little bit of a brain and technology awareness this doesnt really stop me from doing anything. Thats not the point, the point is the government suddenly stepping in to say what content I can and can not access. I mean what are they going to black list next? Objectionable materials about politics, history, art... I mean I find it repugnant. Its meant to stop people pirating content, yet its not their place to say how I use the internet. Its their roll to step in once i break a law and punish me for it- some of these websites have perfectly legal uses as well but they are still blocked because they can be used illegally. 

Archived