I'm a newbie

Bunnymen farms for food. Go to the caves and find ~3 villages. Hammer them and place them near your base. Give one a carrot then cancel your attack on another one. With the carrots and meat, you can make pirogi and bacon and eggs by using a birdcage mentioned by minespatch.

Kill beefalo before winter so you can gain extra meat and warmth (beefalo hat). To kill them, hit one then run. Lead it away from the group. Let it attack then attack 6 times and let it attack again. Repeat.

Always have armor with you or the materials to make it.

When deerclops comes, go to the swamp for quick monster meat and an easy kill for the eye.

Just some quick tips.

In addition to making a thermal stone, try making a winter hat. It's only silk and beefalo wool. You can get the wool easily by shaving beefalo at night while they sleep. Or if you're playing as Wickerbottom you could use sleepy time stories to put them to sleep and shave them at any time of day. Or if you feel like you could take down a beefalo, you could try to make a beefalo hat. It also helps to keep logs and grass on you so you can make a campfire if you ever start freezing.

Surviving Winter as Newbie:

1.) Craft Winter Hat, (Silk+Beefalo wool). Silk: If you afraid to kill spiders, do some traps, and make them follow you to said traps. Once there are no more spiders left, kill the spider nest and collect the silk. Wool: Just do a razor and shave them at night
2.) Craft Thermal Stone, they are amazing to survive more time outside of your base.
3.) Food, Go around the edges of the world, make a lot of penguins spawn. They will spawn a lot of ice, collect it. You can legit get almost 200 ice during this period. 3 Ice + (Meat/MonsterMeat/Morsel/FrogLeg/AnyJerky) = Meatballs. Cheapest food you can make with no effort at all.
4.) Deerclops: When you starting to hear a Monster Noise, she is going to spawn, get away of your base, have resources to make a fire away from your base, and just wait for her. You can use a spear, but if you can try to have a fresh Hambat(2xMeat+1xPigSkin) to deal with her. Also, just before winter starts try collecting some green and blue shrooms, coocked them for when you fighting the deerclops so you can bring your sanity up.

Hope this helps you.

Best Regards,

Glermz

Absolute minimum? Always have fire materials on you, make a thermal stone, and if you don't happen to find beefalo before winter (sometimes it takes a while!  Sometimes you just look in the wrong place) at _least_ live near rabbits so you can make earmuffs.  Earmuffs, thermal stone, morsels for nice healy and sanity-helping jerky (and meatballs), and you won't be HAPPY through the winter, but you'll survive it.  You know the Don't Starve rule about always be able to make a fire in case of darkness? DOUBLE that when it's winter, because you'll sometimes have to make a fire in daytime.  (And if you do manage to find the beefalo right AFTER winter...take care because they'll be in heat and really grumpy.  All spring long.)

EDIT:  Also, if you find yourself low on grass (very likely, as it doesn't grow back during the winter) try finding a decently-close desert if possible.  Tumbleweeds have grass and twigs all year long!  :)

Also if the hound waves are getting too bad, try saving up all the teeth you get from previous waves and making a tooth-trap field out of them.  Far enough away from your base so that fire hounds won't burn your base down when they die, close enough so you can get there easily.  And put a firepit there--things love to attack at night.  It'll be small at first but once you have enough tooth traps where you can just stand in the middle and let the hounds kill themselves, it's awesome.

As for Deerclops...I'm not much of a combat person so I tend to just lead giants off into the wilderness and let them despawn, or lead them to something else dangerous and hope that kills them.  If you're playing by yourself and are away from your base when Deerclops shows up, really all you have to do is run and eventually he'll stop chasing you.  He disappears on his own in spring.

Good luck! and if you like winter?  Hoo boy, are you gonna LOOOOOOOVE summer.  : P (For spring?  Make and set aside at least one umbrella.  YOU'LL NEED IT.)

...Notorious

3 hours ago, Ekto said:

I'm playing Wilson or WX-78

Ok playing as wilson its easier to survive winter, let you bear grow with only that and a termal stone you will be ok.

Learn to build a pig farm, build around 12+ pig houses set a trap for them inside a fence, the trap its any food they will pick up from ground then feed a couple pigs and make them figth each other until they all die, collect the meat from the ground and you get easy meat for all seasons, with that meat and 3 berry you get meatballs, for berry just gather some of them with the shovel use rotten to fertilize as long as you have around 9 berry bushes you will be ok.

You can search on youtube, how to build a pig farm DST

Guys! Thanks for all the advice :) i just got through my first winter!

I had to live with low sanity and eat meatballs every day, but I got through! 

EDIT: I got meatballs from spiders and berries i grew during autumn.

2 hours ago, Ekto said:

Now What?

Spring, 

Rain, use umbrella

That only advice i can give, the rest is up to you figure it out until summer

Well dst is game about trial and error, learning process is one of gameplay

I wish i can delete my memory of dst from my brain, and start over in blank state

Archived