Having Wes as runner

JohnWatson

A lot of people claim that Wes is a good runner for the boarillas. However, while that may be true, any character can be the runner as long as they have a ranged weapon and at least 10% speed. There's no significant advantage that Wes has as a runner and someone like Wendy, Wilson, or Webber can do the job as well as he can. His longer aggro period does not help too much because the boarilla should always be aggro'd to you if you attack whenever possible. His lower aggro priority perk is also a big disadvantage if the boarilla manages to lose interest in you as it would take a bit more effort to catch his aggro again.

Everybody should know it by now and it should be very obvious, but Woodie is undeniably the best choice for runner. Woodie can effortlessly maintain aggro by throwing Lucy and also instantly regain lost aggro in the same way. He's also very flexible as he can switch roles from running to tanking, so your team gets two different roles for just one player slot. A skilled Woodie can also help immensely during the Boarrior fight by dodging his attacks, which is very useful if your team is aiming for a golden speed or perfect run.

Playing Wes is exactly like playing any character that can use darts like Wilson, Wigfrid, Webber, Willow, Winona, or Wendy. Wes is much more useful just constantly attacking with darts and can get more than 36k total damage in one match much like every other dart-user. His lower max health does not matter too much because tanks will take aggro and damage for the team anyway and his lower aggro priority can prevent him from being targeted too often.

Wes is OK for crowd control in earlier waves by running enemies around the map, but it's pretty unnecessary if anyone picks Wicker/Max- who are more desirable choices if there's stave(s) available for them to use.

So yeah, basically agree. Kinda eh about the common "wes runner" meta when people could be using a higher damage character like Webber or even Willow if they don't want Woodie. It's not -super- bad for the Wes to regain aggro, at least, since you can generally get it after boarrior starts shielding himself or if he's put to sleep, assuming the party will LEAVE IT ALONE.

I find it funny how I get people who say willow is good and isn't useless

she can outdamage Maxwell, and Wicker with firestaff. if she kites then she just holds us back" but overall Wes is good but in the end wes has to sacrifice himself for boarrior phase 2 to bait him into a corner so he doesn't avoid sleeping. but Woodie, Wig, Webber, Wendy, Willow can kite fine 

Take this with a grain of salt because I've played Wes/Woodie runner but not other runners.

From what I've seen, it's impressive if Woodie fails to kite Boarilla, Wes has to dart Boarilla at least twice per attack to maintain aggro, and I have never been with a runner who was not one of those two who kept aggro the entire time.

I would imagine that any non Wes/Woodie runner would have to dart Boarilla at least 3 times per attack to keep aggro, in which case there's a decent chance he would get low enough to start jumping before the team kills the other Boarilla, 4 pigs, 2 crocs, 2 scorps and 2 turtles.

I don't mean to say Wes is better than Woodie, because that's obviously not true. I do believe that he does have merit over the default dart classes, though.

Just now, Arcwell said:

Take this with a grain of salt because I've played Wes/Woodie runner but not other runners.

From what I've seen, it's impressive if Woodie fails to kite Boarilla, Wes has to dart Boarilla at least twice per attack to maintain aggro, and I have never been with a runner who was not one of those two who kept aggro the entire time.

I would imagine that any non Wes/Woodie runner would have to dart Boarilla at least 3 times per attack to keep aggro, in which case there's a decent chance he would get low enough to start jumping before the team kills the other Boarilla, 4 pigs, 2 crocs, 2 scorps and 2 turtles.

I don't mean to say Wes is better than Woodie, because that's obviously not true. I do believe that he does have merit over the default dart classes, though.

The second Boarilla reaching low health is not because of character choice, it's because of how slow the rest of the team is. Non-Wes runners also don't need to shoot more darts to maintain aggro.

After playing a lot more, Wes is almost entirely useless throughout the whole game (has some use on earlier waves if you don't have a petrifier, but it's still a DPS drop).

Pretty much any class can be a runner, even unarmed or book classes.

Now the real question: Can Wigfrid be runner?

Archived