[TU-211417] Indirect contact PO->LOX->O

This is my very own PO->LOX-O purification system.  It can produce about 200 kg of oxygen, enough for 4 dupes with diver's lungs and uses about 670-700KJ per day.  Save attached.

In short, you need to have a strong PO supply either from slimes sublimation or morbs farm.  Slimes can now be farmed with Pufts again after the recent bug fix.  You can also combine pufts and morbs into one cage with low ceiling cage work better, minimum of 3 tiles, as the Pufts has less vertical space to travel before pooping out some slimes.  The morbs will need about 1000g of polluted water to be happy.  This liquid will decrease very very slowly overtime due to evaporation into polluted oxygen.  Sometimes the liquid will stabilize and other times not so just have a liquid valve set to something small and manually add liquid if needed.

Start up requires priming of the heat exchange loop, yellow area.  This needed ~160 kg of hydrogen as each pipe section need to have 1000g of gas. The thermo-regulator should be disabled while priming so that it doesn't work.  You should discharge hydrogen into the refrigeration loop, red area.  When the heat exchange loop is charged, add enough hydrogen into the red area until you get about 1.5-1.7kg per tile then enable the thermo-regulator.  It will take about 20-30 cycles for everything to cool down to about -198C.  The pipes making up the heat exchange loop is made of granite and non-insulating.  All other pipes should be insulated and be made of abyssalite.  Orange area is pre-cooling of PO with wheezeworts.  The temperature of the gas upon leaving is ~ -45 to -50C.  Green area is your PO supply.  Blue area is re-warming of LOX to get O at a temperate temperature.  All buildings are made out of copper.  At the very bottom is a master switch to turn everything off.

This was designed to scrub polluted oxygen off the map and should not be relied upon as the primary source of oxygen, which should be from the electrolyzer.  If coal can be had cheaply then this system can be powered with coal otherwise use a combination of hamster wheel and hydrogen generator.

PO-LOX.png

Thermo sensor settings.

T1- warmer than -198.2C

T2-Colder than -193.2C

T3-Colder than -63.1C

T4s-Colder than 11.9C

T5s-Colder than 21.9C

T6-Warmer than 16.9C

Fobs-Test.sav

PO-LOX-wiring.png

PO-LOX-gaspiping.png

Blue area updated to

Edits: Updated version to 211417.  Changed all thermo sensor to wolframite.

Red area updated to

This was done using debug menu (Backspace) to paint the hydrogen in.  The save I provided is from a debug map where I build stuff to test so it was done as a convenience.  In your real game, you will of course need to provide the hydrogen from the electrolyzer.

3 hours ago, darkflames9 said:

Looks amazing.  Have you had success with those space heaters though?  I pumped 1 kg or so of liquid o2 onto 2 space heaters and to this day, 30 odd cycles later, the temperature has stayed around -50 degrees.

Yes, my setup puts out oxygen at a comfortable 16-17C.  Your dupes will not complain.  The important part is you need to snake the oxygen through.  The snaking offers enough resistance to flow that the gasses can linger just enough in the area around the space heater to receive work.

41 minutes ago, Masterpintsman said:

My best plan to evaporate LOX so far is with a horizontal tile wall fully laced with wire bridges (wolframite), the two tiles directly below filled with space heaters, LOX poured ontop. Hydrogen in the heater area helps.

I thought of using something like that but cold fingers are easier to control than hot fingers.  The latent heat of a wire bridge is enormous and can't be easily trimmed off compare to a space heater.  The snaking in the blue area was just enough such that the final space heater doesn't always run but comes on and off.

Most important is the thermo sensor T6.  This will arrest the pumping of oxygen if it is too cold, which will allow the space heater to "catch up" with the heat deficit.

So far I am very happy with the build.  No pipe breakage.  No complicated wiring.

I really want improvement/advise for a working gas compressing contraption.  If gas is fed to the thermo-regulator as 1000g packets, it will enormously improve energy efficiency.

7 hours ago, Moggles said:

I'm confused though please can you explain how you managed to cram millions of kg hydrogen in to the enclosed pump at the bottom?

You can also pump your gaseous  into an enclosed room like this , just a little bit of water to fill the vent and it will become "low atmospheric pressure" . that way u can store any gas from 0 c to 100 c.

Untitled1.png

8 hours ago, Moggles said:

I downloaded your save and I like your creation.

I'm confused though please can you explain how you managed to cram millions of kg hydrogen in to the enclosed pump at the bottom?

you can use liquid for cramp how ? VVV like this VVVV

1 hour ago, SeeHam said:

You can also pump your gaseous  into an enclosed room like this , just a little bit of water to fill the vent and it will become "low atmospheric pressure" . that way u can store any gas from 0 c to 100 c.

Untitled1.png

put water there after that let it flow until they left XXXg water in 1 block , then placing van behind 

I made a little change to the blue area.  I was having issues with generating too much LOX such that the space heater could not keep up. :?

So I rebuilt the area with a different idea to boil LOX.  It is as easy as pie.  The new heating method instantly boils LOX into OX at about -90C.  Production rate of OX remains about 215 kg per day.

New temperature settings for thermo sensor.

T4 - colder than 16.9C

T5 - colder than -53.1 C

T6 - colder than -28.1 C

T7 - colder than 6.9 C

T8 - warmer than 21.9 C

Version 211197 compatible.

Reheat.png

1 hour ago, Ghosticus said:

What does this even mean? What is XXXg?

About 1kg to 2kg water per tile will be fine. 

You can build an Algae Terrarium and wait for water delivered. Then, deconstruction it leaves a bottle of water. Click and Select "Empty building", water will flood out. Dig or Deconstruct a Tile to reduce the amount of water to desired value. Or, you can build a Gas Vent to see does it accept that water level (No overpressured icon shown). Finally, it is fine to go.

Another option is using Liquid Vent but you have to build and deconstruct liquid pipe after that.

I do prefer option 1.

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 3.47.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 3.48.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 3.48.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 3.48.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 3.48.52 PM.png

1 hour ago, ThangLe said:

About 1kg to 2kg water per tile will be fine. 

You can build an Algae Terrarium and wait for water delivered. Then, deconstruction it leaves a bottle of water. Click and Select "Empty building", water will flood out. Dig or Deconstruct a Tile to reduce the amount of water to desired value. Or, you can build a Gas Vent to see does it accept that water level (No overpressured icon shown). Finally, it is fine to go.

Another option is using Liquid Vent but you have to build and deconstruct liquid pipe after that.

I do prefer option 1.

Thanks for the clarification!

12 minutes ago, O.n.y said:

I would definably love to watch your lets play on YouTube! :p  Totally thumbs up!

for making perfect like this you need debug mode . because so rare you can place whezeewort stirght 5 x 3 row like that  except in slime biome and its musbe far awal from base :) 

1 hour ago, sai05 said:

for making perfect like this you need debug mode . because so rare you can place whezeewort stirght 5 x 3 row like that  except in slime biome and its musbe far awal from base :) 

It's not about perfection. It's about Ideas and implementation.

3 hours ago, sai05 said:

You can make straight rows of wheezeworts with some preparation.  Dig out the wheezeworts on the map.  Do not allow seed collection!  You need to build a tile foundation out of abyssalite, you can use insulated tiles or normal tiles.  Build a horizontal door two tiles above this foundation, then build two storage units and make them sweep only.  Sweep some sand into the storage units then deny their storage.  This will drop the ball of sands directly in-front of the storage unit and onto the horizontal door.  Open the door and the sand will fall down making new sand tiles.  Store a single seed into the same storage unit, which is easily done since you just sweep one at time.  Drop the seed out of the storage units and deconstruct the door and storage units.  Rinse and repeat as many times as  you like to make a nice straight row of wheezeworts.  In my experience, four wheezeworts in a row is good.  If your row is too long it is a waste  since they will overcool their area.  It is best to have many rows of them all spaced out vertically.  Do note, wheezeworts do not grow in vacuum so you need some sort of gas around them.  The pressure of this gas doesn't matter but the temperature does.  Keep the temperature reasonable, between -60 to 90 C.

You will need vents built as I have shown since gas flow is slow and not efficient at spreading out the temperature gradient.

5 hours ago, Fatmice said:

You need to build a tile foundation out of abyssalite, you can use insulated tiles or normal tiles.  Build a horizontal door two tiles above this foundation, then build two storage units and make them sweep only.  Sweep some sand into the storage units then deny their storage.  This will drop the ball of sands directly in-front of the storage unit and onto the horizontal door.  Open the door and the sand will fall down making new sand tiles.

Does this still work?  I can't seem to reproduce it.  How much material is needed to create the new tiles?  I tried ranges from 1000kg to 50000kg.  I tried putting the door different heights above the tile.  I tried using different types of doors.  I tried with debug mode on/off.

2 hours ago, Mijae said:

Does this still work?  I can't seem to reproduce it.  How much material is needed to create the new tiles?  I tried ranges from 1000kg to 50000kg.  I tried putting the door different heights above the tile.  I tried using different types of doors.  I tried with debug mode on/off.

I found a new way to spawn tiles from materials.  It uses the liquid tepidizer hack.

You build the tepidizer as in the picture.  Then you drop algae at the right end (in picture is dirt).  Drop liquid on the left end while you heat up the algae.  Once it reaches melting temperature, the algae will turn into a dirt tile and entomb the device which will instantly stop.  Deconstruct the setup and move the whole thing one tile to the left and repeat.  If you drip water at a rate of 2-3kg /s the liquid tepidizer will not heat up sufficiently to overheat while boiling the algae.

Making tile.png

8 hours ago, Fatmice said:

I found a new way to spawn tiles from materials.  It uses the liquid tepidizer hack.

You build the tepidizer as in the picture.  Then you drop algae at the right end (in picture is dirt).  Drop liquid on the left end while you heat up the algae.  Once it reaches melting temperature, the algae will turn into a dirt tile and entomb the device which will instantly stop.  Deconstruct the setup and move the whole thing one tile to the left and repeat.  If you drip water at a rate of 2-3kg /s the liquid tepidizer will not heat up sufficiently to overheat while boiling the algae.

Making tile.png

use agle ? how much agle to be specific  ?  can we use "swep only" from bio ? because bio product 2kg/product right and we dont westing "storage agle priority 9 "

I've updated the refrigeration area.  These game patches always upset something in my delicate heat balance.  So instead of the thermo-regulator cooling itself, I opted to cool the thermo-regulator with wheezewort.  I used five of them to be sure.  The thermo-regulator heat load depends on the amount as well as the temperature of the gas that it worked on.  It is not the 7.5W that is stated on the tooltip, which is a big fat lie (or this is actually a bug?).

I also did some heat measurement of wheezewort.  The numbers do not make sense but it appears the amount of work that it put out is about -6600W.  I came up with this number by painting 19x2kg of hydrogen at 273.15K and compute the residual energy of the gas after one cycle.  I repeated this 3-4 times and the amount of energy removed is always around 4000 KJ per cycle.

New save attached.

Refrigeration.png

wheezewort.png

Fobs-Test.sav

Archived