250 Cycles and beyond - the 'efficiency' approach

I just made it to 250 Cycles. I have really loved this game so far as it has truly scratched the itch for running an efficient ant colony.

I thought I would share some of the choices I made that I think might serve you well if you too want to go for a super efficient play style (with the game mechanics atm). I realize that play style may not be up your alley - but there might be a gem of two below that could help you understand resources or a set up that might make your life easier. On with the screenshots ;)

Base at Cycle 250:

250.jpg

Base at 125:

125.jpg

Base at 72:

72.jpg

Things I learned:

Base layout - keep in mind where gases are going to go if you produce them or let them go in your base.

Highest to lowest is are as follows: Hydrogen, contaminated O2, 'clean' O2, chlorine, Co2. (At least so far...)

This can help you as you can harness a little power off of Hydrogen later in your base, as you see with my hydrogen pump and generator, at the top of my base. The hydrogen is being produced from the electrolizers at the bottom of the base. If you also leave a pit or hole at the bottom of your base Co2 tends to just float to it with no real to deal with it.

'Best Resources' - I almost named this post Sand > Contaminated water as I didn't comprehend how essential sand would become...

So for me these are the resources: Water > Sand > Contaminated water > Algae > Slime. Water is really O2 for me from electrolizers. Sand filters Contaminated water mid and late game to keep O2 production going. Contaminated water will become your largest source of water if you start hunting for it early. Algae and Slime (which you turn into Algae via tech) are good early and mid game BEFORE you can make an electrolizer. As you soon as you can make that get rid of your algae terrarium immediately if you can. (More on why in a bit)

Food - Rush mealwoods via planter tech. As soon as you have these going in good supply stop cooking asap. Seriously. They will eat the meal lice with out cooking and cooking is just another sap on your water supply. Get the tech for the planter, fridge, and meal table and your food job is done.

O2 - There has been a ton of posts so far and I agree that electrolyzers are THE way to go. I played with algae terrariums for a while and hunted algae and slime like a mad man but the pitiful O2 output for the price of water is way too high atm. I have had two electrolyzers running oxygen in by base I think for over a hundred cycles.

Stress - I think at cycle 40 things start to get out of control with stress. Keep in mind your dupes have been digging like mad men and women for a while so they are 'dirty' and 'grimy'. Even with a shower, lavoratory, and personalized massage tables for my dupes the ones at 100% stress are too much to deal with. Do keep in mind I take only 'destructive' dupes as the 'vomit' ones are a stress juggernaut waiting to happen. For a while I just let them break machines and simply rebuilt another allowing the first broken machine to remain broken as they often attacked the same machine over and over again and would often leave many other machines alone. SO I finally started euthanizing the worst of the worst in a Co2 room I made at the bottom of my base. In the picture below, you can see I would use 'move' to place a stressed out Dup in the room while another would come eventually when I put a 'close' order on the door. All the tombstones in the picture above are the result of 'maintaining a healthy colony stress level' ;P

co2.jpg

Water filtration - the set up that is almost necessary for long term survival is a water filtration system to handle contaminated water. As I said above water is O2 so once you run out of water you are finished with the current game mechanics. So as soon as you can start hunting for contaminated water - probably something to keep in mind when hunting algae and slime as all three tend to be together.

The image below is a set up I used in two bases. The idea is to pump contaminated water from the outside of the base (assuming you have a liquid pump to bring it in) to a pre-built room to handle exterior water(s) and the contaminated water you will produce from a shower and lavatory. This contaminated water is brought to another room to a water filter and then the clean water is available in a separate reservoir via a pump for your electrolyzers, shower, lavatory and other clean water purposes. Water filtration is the key reason sand is so very important as it is the only filtration material used at the moment.

waterfilt.jpg

Power - Sadly the mouse wheels are really the only 'good' way to go super late into the game. Yes Coal is amazing but finite. Do keep an eye for it and grab it when you can but by cycle 150 I think most of mine was virtually gone. Hydrogen is technically 'good' but you can produce enough on purpose from electrolyzers to sustain a base long term without destroying your water supply. In my top most image you can see a Hydrogen pump and generator used at the top of my base as hydrogen naturally rises to the top to harness a bit of power off the hydrogen. Those are really there to filter the hydrogen out of the breathing space of the base though - not as a long term means of power.

Research - Don't charge down the tech tree(s) without regards to what your base needs. Personally I found no need for any of the techs in the third tier. This might have been because of my base layout that kept in mind the gases properties so I didn't need any of the odd things at the end of the tree. Liquid and Gase pumps, Air locks, water filtration, and the basic techs were about all I needed. You can keep doing techs you don't need BUT they will destroy the amount of water in your base. The third tier of techs require boat loads of water - just don't do it you are trying to be efficient.

Suggestions for the game and fun bugs - 1) For gods sake, add an 'auto harvest' function to the planter. I just spent 250 cycles mindlessly clicking on these to be harvested. 2) Bottled contaminated water can't be removed in your base when you 'sweep' it. I have bottles from disassembled machines here and there in my base and my ocd for a clean base is killing me with these bottles just sitting there 3) If you reload a game - the gas pumps particularly connected to a hydrogen generator perform the animation of pumping but the pipe(s) to the hydrogen generator are 'empty'. If you break down and rebuild the gas pump after a re-load it works properly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this gives you ideas if you are shooting to be 'efficient' - for myself my water is enough that I might make it to cycle 300 but I think I'll dig for the edge and hope to send my dupes out to space. Next colony I will shot to add a Dup every time they are available and see if I can manage a giant circus of colony without euthanizing poor Dupes like Neil above.

Thanks Klei, this has been a great game so far with alot of potential for fun times in the future.

wow I really like this in depth guide. I am only in cycle 43 and my world has barely any water you this base might be done. Doesn't help I have 12 dupes. Also I think if you actually micromanage the jobs like you would in RimWorld than I think that will also contribute to a long term healthy base.

In fact I just found out, you CAN filter water without sand. Just dig it out to the far south where temperature surpasses 500°C on the rocks. Pump your dirty water down there and build some gas permeable tiles as a ceiling above. The contaminated water will eventually evaporize into steam, which will rise as a hot gas through the gas-permeable tiles, condensate at the ceiling, and drop down as liquid water collected on top of the gas-permeable tiles.

The picture is only my first try on this approach. The distille just started working and there is already some hot clean water, yay :)

Bad things: I somehow have some liquid phosphorus in the mix at the bottom, which is at over 200°C ontop of 500°C rocks. For some reason water in contact with the liquid phosphorus doesn't take on any temperature, so i will have to get rid of the phosphorus somehow. But to be perfectly clear, i think liquid phosphorus should not work as isolator toward water --> thus this is a bug. WOhoo, i found one :)

Great game btw Klei!

distille.png

distille2.png

The ability to make a working distillery really makes me wish there was a heater tech.

Also, if there was something that took energy from gas rising past it (in terms of temperature, speed, or both), it would be possible to build a basic geothermal steam engine.

How do you manage water flow? The valve device is maddeningly in-precise and i believe water goes out of the system.

For example, if you hook up a water pump to CO2 scrubber and let it go full blast (no valve), you can see the water level go down, even if the scrubber isn't doing anything.

I just get the feeling that water usage is not very efficient.

9 hours ago, Roadie said:

The ability to make a working distillery really makes me wish there was a heater tech.

Also, if there was something that took energy from gas rising past it (in terms of temperature, speed, or both), it would be possible to build a basic geothermal steam engine.

There is a heater, it's just hidden in the form of the thermo regulator.

At any rate has anyone tried pumping contaminated water into the electrolyzer?

I'll try the contaminated water into an electrolyzer in the build I started. One additional thing I noticed in my new base related to water was that when I bilt a flooring tile into submerged water it actually destroyed the water in the tile and didn't use physics to push the water to the side or top of the flooring tile. Be wary of building in water!

22 hours ago, Elviraa said:

1) For gods sake, add an 'auto harvest' function to the planter. I just spent 250 cycles mindlessly clicking on these to be harvested.

You can just leave it unharvested, same amount of food drops to floor a bit later. Not so effective as handmade harvests in terms of time, but constructing excessive amount of planters solve this problem. :-/

17 hours ago, Greenoid said:

You can just leave it unharvested, same amount of food drops to floor a bit later. Not so effective as handmade harvests in terms of time, but constructing excessive amount of planters solve this problem. :-/

Thanks for the heads up - this is a great tip!

On 2/18/2017 at 4:38 PM, tafelskif said:

In fact I just found out, you CAN filter water without sand. Just dig it out to the far south where temperature surpasses 500°C on the rocks. Pump your dirty water down there and build some gas permeable tiles as a ceiling above. The contaminated water will eventually evaporize into steam, which will rise as a hot gas through the gas-permeable tiles, condensate at the ceiling, and drop down as liquid water collected on top of the gas-permeable tiles.

The picture is only my first try on this approach. The distille just started working and there is already some hot clean water, yay :)

Bad things: I somehow have some liquid phosphorus in the mix at the bottom, which is at over 200°C ontop of 500°C rocks. For some reason water in contact with the liquid phosphorus doesn't take on any temperature, so i will have to get rid of the phosphorus somehow. But to be perfectly clear, i think liquid phosphorus should not work as isolator toward water --> thus this is a bug. WOhoo, i found one :)

Great game btw Klei!

distille.png

distille2.png

This is Amazing! Been looking for a way around sand... THIS is it!

Great job on 250

I already made it to like 290 and still have no problems whatsover.

i hope my screenshot helps you.

you can look on the right how many resources i have my only small issue is sand.

im just exploring now to get more algae, slime and sand so i have them when i need them.

i think trapping a geysar or two to get u some water is really helpful

about the ladders not connected this trick i tried and it works to save time and resources and be more efficient. duplicant will jump from one ladder to another so no need to connect them together for exploring.

oxy 291.png

oxy 290.png

oxy 292.png

oxy 293.png

1 hour ago, Bonida said:

Great job on 250

I already made it to like 290 and still have no problems whatsover.

i think trapping a geysar or two to get u some water is really helpful

When the original post was created, geysers did not exist. Creating a sustainable base without resorting to polluted oxygen was nearly impossible back then. Your base is impressive, but you might as well be playing a completely different game at this point.

On 4/19/2017 at 5:30 AM, Erasmus Crowley said:

When the original post was created, geysers did not exist. Creating a sustainable base without resorting to polluted oxygen was nearly impossible back then. Your base is impressive, but you might as well be playing a completely different game at this point.

On 4/19/2017 at 8:59 AM, Saturnus said:

@Bonidanecro much?

Dude, this post is 2 months old when the game was completely differently balanced than today. Getting 200 cycles back then was actually pretty hard if you wanted a pure oxygen setup. Today getting 200 cycles is absolutely trivial.

I did not mean to be rude or something like that i just did not see the date of the post

I'm sorry if u found me rude by any mean.

Archived