What do you think?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What should Cthulhu be to suit the theme?

2. 2. How often do you want to see or hear of Cthulhu?

3. 3. Would you like Shadow over Innsmouth

• Yes totally! A must-have!
    • Only if Cthulhu gets mentioned
    • Only if Cthulhu stays in the foreground
    • No please! I hated the ending!

So with the "announcement" of shipwrecked, we'll see this forum live again, and suggestions pilling up without end or reason. Since there's nothing really known other than a pirate theme, I'll have to keep the following very generic.

H.P. Lovecraft spoilers are to be expected.

For the case you don't know, Cthulhu is a lovecraft creature serving as the representation of the unknown. It's a big, green, demonic squid thing living on the seafloor. It's main properties are:

• it's hard to describe or rationallise
  • it comes from the unknown
  • it is invincible to physical damage
  • doing nothing might be the only way to survive it

It would be very interesting, and highly scary, to encounter that being. However, for it to truly be cthulhu, it doesn't need to be big and tentacular, but meet the above criteria.

As such, it could be positioned wherever and however players try to dance out of the line and play truant. To not break the magic, this would be a worst-case option (e.g. to discourage overfishing in a fun way, rather than making it "not work anymore").

I might update this as more information is revealed.

Vote that poll up there!

I would want Cthulhu to be something that makes you not want to be in the seas because you might run into him, and a meeting with Cthulhu isn't a good thing. I also would want him to be GIANT, I'm talking like his legs will be all you ever see of him cause of how big he is, idk something to make the player feel he/she's not in control anymore and that there's something way bigger out in the DS world that is trying to hunt you down

Nah.

Cthulhu's a over used boss idea for video games at this point, There's a ton of over lovecraft deity's that be more interesting really. Plus if your a kin to lovecrafts lore Cthulhu isn't that powerful or feared actually.

You're right, there's no way Cthulhu could even be mentioned without implementing Innsmouth in some way.

I'll add that to the poll.

I've been thinking about something like Cthulhu in don't starve before... Here's what I thought of:

Cthulhu is an invincible entity, not really seen, but gigantic. It moves incredibly slowly, but always follows the player. It destroys things in it's path, especially player-made structures. The closer Cthulhu comes, the faster your sanity starts draining. Being too close means getting murdered without mercy. Cthulhu would basically force the player to become a nomad. With that would probably come a character with a few tricks to make being a nomad easier. 

I've been thinking about something like Cthulhu in don't starve before... Here's what I thought of:

Cthulhu is an invincible entity, not really seen, but gigantic. It moves incredibly slowly, but always follows the player. It destroys things in it's path, especially player-made structures. The closer Cthulhu comes, the faster your sanity starts draining. Being too close means getting murdered without mercy. Cthulhu would basically force the player to become a nomad. With that would probably come a character with a few tricks to make being a nomad easier. 

And you could run ram your little boat into him and beat him. Pretty simple!

Plus if your a kin to lovecrafts lore Cthulhu isn't that powerful or feared actually.

lolwut?

EDIT: If you mean that he isn't as powerful as say, Yog Sotthoth or something then yeah, I guess you're right. but the entire Mythos alludes to the fact that Cthulhu is both "powerful" and "feared."

lolwut?

EDIT: If you mean that he isn't as powerful as say, Yog Sotthoth or something then yeah, I guess you're right. but the entire Mythos alludes to the fact that Cthulhu is both "powerful" and "feared."

he did get knocked out by a tiny fishing boat..plus Cthulhu's over rated really.

Archived