Questions about buying Don't Starve for Steam

So, I already have Don't Starve for ps4, but I am strongly considering getting it on Steam since a) I want to play with some of the mods. b) I want to play Don't Starve Together and c) We got the game as a free download with our Playstation Plus account that we only have because our ps4 came with a year of it and I don't know if we plan to continue the account, which means I'll lose access to my game which CANNOT HAPPEN. And I don't mind giving Klei my money. 

Here's my question: In random searching on ebay I happened to stumble across a seller selling the game and RoG for less than Steam does.  He appears to be a legitimate seller, lots of positive feedback and everything.  But how is this possible? (not how do you sell a digital game, I get the whole download codes and things like that) I mean how is he selling for less than steam does and still be worth it to him? Is this likely an illegally obtained game? A scam?  Can anyone else help me make sense of this?  He claims over and over again it's perfectly legal, but I don't get it. If it's not legal, I'd like to get it stopped, because I love this game too much to just let people cheat Klei.

the sale is here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dont-Starve-Reign-of-Giants-DLC-STEAM-GAME-PC-Mac-Linux-2013-/151374972717?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item233ea6c72d

the reason I'm debating is that while I don't mind giving Klei my money, I'm not made of it, and if I can save a few dollars I will. I don't know, is this a terrible idea? I should just go through the Steam store, shouldn't I?

(Also, someone is selling their stuffed Chester on ebay! How sad is that? Who didn't want their Chester? I'd buy it off them myself, I'm dying for one, if they didn't want more than $150 for it.)

Personally, I'd buy it from Steam, especially if you want to support Klei. This way you'll be sure to get legit updates. Also, from what I understand (I'm on Standalone) you'll also get codes for downloading the standalone version of the game. Keep in mind you'll get DST when it becomes available for free. FREE!

The seller might be legit but why chance it to save a few bucks. I'm thinking if he is legit, he bought it when you could buy 2 games for the price of 1. Maybe he had the intention of selling/giving it to someone but decided against it. And decided to get half of what he paid for it. Or looking at the post on Ebay, slightly more than half.

It's ultimately you're decision.

Just to clarify, on Steam, you can buy a game and it can stay in your "Steam Inventory" like a wrapped gift.

You can then either:

1. "unwrap it", and add it to your games

or

2. Send it to someone else, whether it be for free or not.

steam sales! *facepalm* of course.  Buy it when it's 90% off, sell it when the price is back to normal but for less than steam price.  I feel dumb now.  But you're right.  Buying it from steam makes sure that klei gets the profit, not ebay guy.

And technically, if that account owner were to wish to do so, there are ways the key would only count to the "original pre-gift purchaser," and only the original owner then could run the game! 

I won't detail it here, but legally, Valve owns the games on their server, and would grant only the original purchaser....normally never an issue, except for a shady seller.  Trust me when I saw this happen and a lot of fine print was challenged by duped recipients and they lost.

So when in doubt, just buy it for yourself, on sale if you must wait. 

(Also, someone is selling their stuffed Chester on ebay! How sad is that? Who didn't want their Chester? I'd buy it off them myself, I'm dying for one, if they didn't want more than $150 for it.)

We must find these blasphemers who are selling Chesters into Slavery and STRING THEM UP UNTIL...

Um, I might be a bit biased against these people :-)

As for Chester Plush, stay tuned because it is coming to the Klei Store very soon! No exact date at the moment, but we'll have more news about our furry little friend in the next month or so.  :joyous:

In the meantime, feel free to sign up for the Klei Store Newsletter for updates on new and upcoming merch!

Buy it from the humble store.  That way you can have it on steam, and standalone.

While this is the way I did it via the Widget from the Klei site/Humble Bundle store. Those who own it via Steam who wish it also on standalone:

http://support.kleientertainment.com/customer/portal/articles/1126155-how-keys-work-steam-purchase-don-t-starve-reign-of-giants-

How Keys Work: Steam Purchase (Don't Starve/Reign of Giants)

Last Updated: Jul 03, 2014 03:23PM PDT
When you purchase Don't Starve or Reign of Giants from Steam, the game is added into your games library.

Your game key for Don't Starve and Reign of Giants (standalone) can be found by right-clicking Don't Starve in your Steam games library and choosing "View CD Key." Here you will find a new key that will work for the Standalone updater and for the Reign of Giants expansion key for your standalone.

To Activate, Install, and Play on Don't Starve standalone game client:

• Go to your internet browser and type in: https://www.humblebundle.com/s?key={Your Key Here}
  • Replace {Your Key Here} with your game key - remove the brackets - and press enter to continue; 
  • This will take you to a unique Humble download page; choose and click your operating system;
  • Once you've chosen your OS, click on the "Download" tab to begin downloading the Standalone client;
  • Install and run Don't Starve; the first time you run the Standalone, the updater will pop-up and ask you for your game key. Use the game key you got earlier by right-clicking Don't Starve on Steam.

To Activate, download, and install Reign of Giants to your standalone:

• Go to your internet browser and type in: https://www.humblebundle.com/s?key={Your Key Here}
  • Replace {Your Key Here} with your Reign of Giants key - remove the brackets - and press enter to continue;
  • This will take you to a unique Humble download page; choose and click your operating system;
  • Once you've chosen your OS, click on the "Download" tab for Reign of Giants to download your installer;
  • Make sure to install Reign of Giants into the same folder as Don't Starve. If installed properly, the Reign of Giants content will be accessible the next time you run your Don't Starve standalone game client.

If you want games a bit cheaper than their usual price, trade for them, usually people will take less tf2 keys than the net price, a little while ago I bought Awesomenauts for 1 key, and those are totally legit (since their in the trade window) so you could do that, but, then again, Klei are some pretty cool dudes, so, I'd suggest throwing as much money as (i)legally possible at them.

steam sales! *facepalm* of course.  Buy it when it's 90% off, sell it when the price is back to normal but for less than steam price.  I feel dumb now.  But you're right.  Buying it from steam makes sure that klei gets the profit, not ebay guy.

Except that Klei already got their commission from ebay guy,.

Also, I got my one 'I know this guy' who got his key from a site like this one (I can't remember which site it was, I don't think it was the one referenced, though - all I know is it was 40% discounted).

As for Chester Plush, stay tuned because it is coming to the Klei Store very soon! No exact date at the moment, but we'll have more news about our furry little friend in the next month or so.  :joyous:

In the meantime, feel free to sign up for the Klei Store Newsletter for updates on new and upcoming merch!

that's the other reason I won't buy the ebay one.  that and my previously stated desire to give you guys all my money.

I'm assuming Klei would never sell chester for $150. no matter how much I love him, no toy is worth that.

Yeah, I'm going with the steam option.  I think everybody agrees we all feel better about that.

Archived