Mod Tool Updates 2014/05/30

• Developer

Patch notes for the Steam Workshop Release version of the mod tools:

• Steam Workshop mod uploader now supports mods up to 100 megs in size.

Patch notes for the Steam Workshop Public Preview version of the mod tools:

• Proper computation of bounding boxes (extending it 20% beyond the computed dimensions, to account for cases where some parts of the animation frame were right at the boundary of the animation box and remained unclickable);
  • Support for objects appearing/disappearing in the middle of the mainline
  • Support for Spriter projects made with the latest Spriter version (support for all Spriter versions from b5 upwards, to be precise)
  • Taking into account the png timestamps when deciding whether the project is up to date or not
  • Basic command line options support (not really relevant for automated use by the autocompiler), adding the options "-f" and "--ignore-self-date". The first forces recompilation of the project, regardless of timestamp comparisons, and the latter ignores the timestamp of the scml compiler executable when doing the comparisons.

New Character Tutorial:

Big thanks to simplex for providing all of the improvements found in the public preview. simplex has also ported the Spriter and Image compilers to Mac and Linux and his changes will be available through the Steam Workshop later next week.

And by the way, @Cheerio, could you add some way for us to disable the autocompiler for a particular mod? I'm thinking this could be done by a sentinel file: if a mod has a file called NOAUTOCOMPILE (or something along these lines) in its base directory, then it is not autocompiled.

This can be done by changing the list_folders function in autocompiler/main.cpp to:

void list_folders( Path const& path, file_list& folders ){	tinydir_dir dir;	if (tinydir_open(&dir, path.c_str()) != -1)	{		while (dir.has_next)		{			tinydir_file file;			if(tinydir_readfile(&dir, &file) != -1)			{				if(file.is_dir && file.name[0] != '.')				{					if(!(path/file.name/"NOAUTOCOMPILE").exists()) {						folders.push_back( path/file.name );					}				}			}			tinydir_next(&dir);		}	}}
(the only change is the inclusion of the innermost if around the folders.push_back call.

I can commit this change to my fork and submit another pull request, if you'd prefer.

(EDIT: I did just commit it to my fork, either way)

I ask because having the autocompiler run on Up and Away would break a few things. And we use our own Makefile based build chain anyway.

• Developer

And by the way, @Cheerio, could you add some way for us to disable the autocompiler for a particular mod? I'm thinking this could be done by a sentinel file: if a mod has a file called NOAUTOCOMPILE (or something along these lines) in its base directory, then it is not autocompiled.

This can be done by changing the list_folders function in autocompiler/main.cpp to:

void list_folders( Path const& path, file_list& folders ){	tinydir_dir dir;	if (tinydir_open(&dir, path.c_str()) != -1)	{		while (dir.has_next)		{			tinydir_file file;			if(tinydir_readfile(&dir, &file) != -1)			{				if(file.is_dir && file.name[0] != '.')				{					if(!(path/file.name/"NOAUTOCOMPILE").exists()) {						folders.push_back( path/file.name );					}				}			}			tinydir_next(&dir);		}	}}
(the only change is the inclusion of the innermost if around the folders.push_back call.

I can commit this change to my fork and submit another pull request, if you'd prefer.

(EDIT: I did just commit it to my fork, either way)

I ask because having the autocompiler run on Up and Away would break a few things. And we use our own Makefile based build chain anyway.

If you could please submit another pull request and I'll push it out next week.

Cheerio, i have a question:

why examples contain images like image/saveslot_portraits/sample_dude.tex which haven't proper dimensions with power of 2

its will spam logs with warning about it. why its so hard to make it 128x128?

@Cheerio, @Kevin, guys i need help all my mods + downloads are down or disabled by klei? they still online and here but not shown the downloadpage is blank. i've no idea what happens to or about me here? no clues it makes no sense in my mind.

is from klei someone around here?

EDIT:

ok found the issue: all download pages of my mods are corrupt (no time to check the code), i just tested with an test upload which works fine.

EDIT:

FIXED, all mods back now!

regards

Does the mod uploader now allow the application of the "Compatible with Reign Of Giants" tag? Or will I still have to do that through steam workshop?

Can tags be added from the Workshop itself? As far as I know, that's not possible (and I did look for it quite a bit). And anecdotal evidence supporting this is that before, there were no mods with the 'reign of giants compatible' tag; and now, there are two: both mine :razz:.

But answering your question: yes, at least in the public preview version.

• Developer

Cheerio, i have a question:

why examples contain images like image/saveslot_portraits/sample_dude.tex which haven't proper dimensions with power of 2

its will spam logs with warning about it. why its so hard to make it 128x128?

I was more just trying to show the easier workflow for editing the .bin files.  I took the saveslot portraits from some other sample we had somewhere. I will look into fixing those so they're the appropriate size. Sorry about that.

• Developer

Can tags be added from the Workshop itself? As far as I know, that's not possible (and I did look for it quite a bit). And anecdotal evidence supporting this is that before, there were no mods with the 'reign of giants compatible' tag; and now, there are two: both mine :razz:.

But answering your question: yes, at least in the public preview version.

Unfortunately I don't think you can add tags from the Workshop interface. 

with the publicpreview it isn't creating the animations anymore, it's just obening for a split second and as far as I can read, there is a function missing

I also tested it with my laptop.

with the publicpreview it isn't creating the animations anymore, it's just obening for a split second and as far as I can read, there is a function missing

I also tested it with my laptop.

But what's the error? Did you check the log?

@Cheerio, the git repo of the mod tools always had an incomplete Python installation (so under Windows users had to copy the Python27 directory from the Steam release of the mod tools, and under Linux/Mac a system wide installation was used anyway, so it didn't matter).

But what's the error? Did you check the log?

@Cheerio, the git repo of the mod tools always had an incomplete Python installation (so under Windows users had to copy the Python27 directory from the Steam release of the mod tools, and under Linux/Mac a system wide installation was used anyway, so it didn't matter).

there isn't a log file, also could you give me the name of the post where the instalation of python is descriped, because I didn't realy find anything helpfull on my search

@tehMugwump,

Well considering you need to install it through steam...

I'm sure they mean the github one. You know, the one that actually compiles animations properly, but hardly anybody uses because the compilation requires experience with executing batch files to initiate and a C++ compiler to finish, which in turn requires even more work to set up since nobody really has a C++ compiler lying around. ...and maybe something after that, idk I didn't get farther

Archived