[WiP] Holidays (formerly Trick-or-Treat)

squeek

As I've mentioned here and here, I am expanding my Trick-or-Treat mod into a general holidays mod. So far I've added support for multiple holidays and a calendar screen:

post-248660-0-68897700-1385374866_thumb.

I'm going to be adding one holiday at a time, so first up is a Don't Starve version of Thanksgiving, or, as suggested by bdiz4shiz, Gobbler Day:

Gobbler Day

day or 2 before winter, or perhaps right at the transition.

The mod would make all berry bushes lush and full of berries at the start of this day.

In addition to all the berry bushes ripeness, gobblers will be spawned at random (amount idk?)

You must choose between collecting as many berries as you can or hunting the gobblers.

Let me know if you like that idea or would like to see something different. And if you have any ideas for any other holidays, feel free to post them as well (see the linked threads at the very top of this post for what's been suggested so far for Christmas).

For Christmas, what about a Santa Krampus who gives you a present which has increasing quality inverse to your naughtiness.

31-50 Naughtiness - 1 Charcoal

21-30 Naughtiness - Random Trinket

11-20 Naughtiness - Random Amulet

1-10 Naughtiness - Krampus Sack with one random gem or a gold nugget in each slot.

0 Naughtiness - One of a small selection of unique Christmas present items.

Attacking the Santa Krampus causes it to spawn 8 Deerclops and leave Charcoal before grabbing any previous gift and disappearing (otherwise the Krampus does not attack the player or steal items).

For Christmas, what about a Santa Krampus who gives you a present which has increasing quality inverse to your naughtiness.

31-50 Naughtiness - 1 Charcoal

21-30 Naughtiness - Random Trinket

11-20 Naughtiness - Random Amulet

1-10 Naughtiness - Krampus Sack with one random gem or a gold nugget in each slot.

0 Naughtiness - One of a small selection of unique Christmas present items.

Attacking the Santa Krampus causes it to spawn 8 Deerclops and leave Charcoal before grabbing any previous gift and disappearing (otherwise the Krampus does not attack the player or steal items).

8 deerclops is a bit too much.

And him giving you a Krampus sack filled with gems is OP.

8 deerclops is a bit too much.

And him giving you a Krampus sack filled with gems is OP.

Probably

I was just throwing out some ideas. I do think it would be cool to have this be a way to get more gravedigger (trinkets and gems) items however, since those are otherwise limited number per map.

Probably

I was just throwing out some ideas. I do think it would be cool to have this be a way to get more gravedigger (trinkets and gems) items however, since those are otherwise limited number per map.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have renewable gears and gravedigger items.

i really like these ideas! finetuning them not be too OP is part of it, but hey, its a present!

:-)

i agree with the gravedigger items being useful as presents

how about a special tree you can plant that will generate presents the day of the holiday?

or at that tree in the middle of the night Krampus comes and drops off the gifts under the tree?

you could make the tree initially guarded by 3 treeguards you have to kill to get the plantable sapling for the tree to add some challenge

:-)

it would also be cool if there was a way within the modmain.lua we could edit a small bit of code to enter our b-day so the game would approximate that time of year to the in-game year cycle and we'd get a present on our bday heh heh

anyway, im eager to see what you whip up! good luck and thanks for your hard work making mods for us to make the game even better!

Here's a holiday idea: Summer Solstice/Winter Solstice.

Time of occurance: Halfway between each season

In summer solstice all berry bushes and twigs respawn in 3 minutes instead of the normal time

In winter solstice random mobs freeze solid, (Birds/rabbits/Butterflies) allowing you to kill them, but they thaw out as the day comes to a close (dusk).

Hmm, maybe for the "other major denominations using candles and gifts" (which is Hanukkah and Kwanzaa,) you could have Don't Starve-nukah or (as it's known better) "The Festival of Lights" Each night during the early winter period, you must light trees on fire.

The first night, one tree, the second night, two trees, until the eight night where you must alight eight trees.

Doing so gets you a reward consummate to the difficulty (do you allow more trees like five trees afire on day three or not for example) set up with this but (apologies if this comes across stereotypical,) you should get some form of "nice clothing" on that "big final night." 

it would also be cool if there was a way within the modmain.lua we could edit a small bit of code to enter our b-day so the game would approximate that time of year to the in-game year cycle and we'd get a present on our bday heh heh

Actually, I like this idea - but the configurability wouldn't work with the Steam Workshop, alienating a lot of users...

I think a better idea would be to give each character their own birthday. Like, "10th of Winter" or "5th of summer" - it would make each character feel even more unique... and it'd be even better if we could add a birthday stat to our own characters, in case the user is playing with both the Holidays mod and our character.

Perhaps someone gives you a cake. Drop it for light and warmth from the candles, and when they burn out, you can eat the cake! Or blow them out yourself, and receive a 'wish' somehow...

Not... quite sure how that would work... but I think there would need to be a reward for blowing the candles out quickly, rather than letting them burn out.

Here are my Suggestions : Add a special crockpot recipe that can only be made on day 20/gobbleday maybe,

or

Make it so that on day 20/gobblerday gobbler spawn rate is increased by 20% but there speed is decreased, allowing the player to hunt Gobblers,

or

Make a gobbler follower that can only spawn on day 20/gobblerday and maybe make it so that it will pick berries for you and brings the berries to you and you can set it to stop picking if your inventory is full,

or

Make it so that on day 20/gobblerday turns all gobblers feral to attack the player, although i'm assuming that day 20/gobblerday is suppose to be a happy day...

or

Make it so that Gobbler's lay egg's or drop egg's on day 20/gobbler day this probably won't turn out to be a main feature but you could also do like with what i mentioned earlier, and make the egg that the gobbler laid hatch into a gobbler follower,

or

Make it so you can craft a "Thanksgiving Dinner Table" then on thanksgiving if there are pig houses nearby on thanksgiving morning 3-4 pigs will come out and sit at the table and will bring there own food, maybe there will be a random chance of being Turkey Dinner, or a Turkey leg ect, or even make it so that the pigs say thing's on day 20/gobblerday like "yay gobblerday" or "gobbler dinner me want"

or something to that effect and or make it so that at the end of the day the player can collect the "spoils" of the dinner table and he might get a random food item that 1 of the pigs brought to the table.

That's all for Gobblerday i will post more after this and i'll think of suggestions for the names of the other holidays.

All of the things i mentioned above are just suggestions i may have some type mistakes, Anyway hope to see something good come from this because i love holiday mods!

Here is the Beginning of the Idea's for Don't Starve Version Of christmas

Names (May not be Original I don't know if someone already though of these names if so i'm sorry.)

Krampmas (Based on Fredgerd's idea I'll call it this for now because it sounds cool.)

Christmas (Why not just keep it plain :))

That's all i could think of i'm not good at names i'm better at ideas :3

Maybe the Holiday should start on day 23-24 3 days after winter starts, if not then in mid winter i.e. day 30

Idea Section : 

Idea 1

Maybe on Krampmas a random pig will spawn with a winter hat and a krampus, and if you give him a some pumpkin cookies he will give you a random item, Here is a quick list of items he has a chance of giving : Breezy Vest, Gear's, A random Junk / Grave Item, Slurper Pelt, (or maybe some other hard-to-get items) or a gold tool it's durability should be 10-40% (so it's not to OP) Also if the Naughtiness of the player is above 15-20 the pig has maybe a 70-100% chance of giving him charcoal or rocks (such as in trick or treat mod when you go to a house with no costume)

Idea 2

Maybe on Krampmas make it so that Walrus Camp has a small chance (1-30%) of spawning a special walrus Which has Winter Hat Krampus sack and does the same thing as the Santa pig in  Idea 1  and maybe you can make it so it has some non-aggro winter hounds following it, ( I might Edit this it seems incomplete)

Idea 3

Make it so on Krampmas there is a 20-50% chance of a "Santa'sTree" to spawn it will have christmas lights hanging on it and a star on the top. and you can Trade item's with  to get rare item's.

Such as Blue gem = Gears Red Gem = Gnome ect or something like that, If you kill it it drop's no drops because DON'T KILL SANTA'S TREE >:c.

Idea 4

Krampmas lights You can put these on walls and they will emit a small amount of light till the end of winter, Recipe : 10 Light bulbs, 2 Frazzled Wires, 5 rope, makes 8 Krampmas Lights.

End of post, i gotta go to sleep i might continue tomarow ^_^.

As I've mentioned here and here, I am expanding my Trick-or-Treat mod into a general holidays mod. So far I've added support for multiple holidays and a calendar screen:

attachicon.gifcalendarscreen.jpg

I'm going to be adding one holiday at a time, so first up is a Don't Starve version of Thanksgiving, or, as suggested by bdiz4shiz, Gobbler Day:

Let me know if you like that idea or would like to see something different. And if you have any ideas for any other holidays, feel free to post them as well (see the linked threads at the very top of this post for what's been suggested so far for Christmas).

What's happening with this mod? i was looking forward to it, but no updates in nearly a month!

but...thing is, he created the thread on november 25 and edited the same day, but never came back.

Okay, fair enough.. I don't really have a good response to that except for: It's not even a month.. Since my time passes like honey flowing in an aqueduct right now I don't even think that's a valid answer though..

Any plans for this to be updated to accommodate the full season-cycle added in the DLC?

(Making the Halloween event occur two thirds of the way through Autumn, for instance.)

Yeah, I can update the Trick-or-Treat mod to do that. Unfortunately, though, the DLC seems to be somewhat of a mess in terms of mod support. For example, the dynamic loading of the DLC content really messes with how prefabs are loaded, and makes certain techniques no longer function (like adding components with save data to a character using a "world" PrefabPostInit; detailed here).

As for the Holidays mod, I was/am close to having it done, but I got frustrated dealing with the season manager and clock to determine things that are way harder to determine than they should be. Now with the different seasons in the DLC it's just going to be even more complicated. Ugh. I now remember why I started moving away from Don't Starve modding.

Archived