All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. mike, your post WAS well thought out and explained. I totally get what you're saying, and it's very reasonable to WANT what you are asking for. I just don't think klei entertainment could feasibly put out the level of content you seem to wish for. yes, FORTNITE one of the worlds most popular games ever has the staff capacity to put out a half dozen fully realized game modes, and while I haven't played it myself, i have seen the list, and it IS impressive. but klei entertainment could not and should not even try matching that level of content. I don't know how many developers they have actively working on don't starve. it could be around a dozen to two dozen developers, but that does not mean fast updates. I'll explain this to you from the perspective of an indie game developer. To develop a game, is actually fairly simple at first. the bare bones "gameplay" can be done in under a week. Most people who make indie games do this with games they thing might be fun, to test whether or not actually playing the game is as fun as they imagined. (by bare bones, I mean movement, the basic movement, and the "core feature" like switching gravity at will) (for don't starve this would be walking around, picking berries, and hunger mechanics, maybe sanity and a day/night cycle aswell) but as you continue to develop the game, things slow down tremendously. going from a barebones game to test if something is playable to a demo you might show another person can take a month, with very little changes outside of tweaking exactly how the gameplay works. Maybe your particular implementation of movement caused bugs, or maybe the core feature was oversimplified for the testing. the art and graphics DEFINITELY slowed everything down a lot, even making a single well drawn campfire can take me 20 minutes before i LIKE how it looks. an animation? 2-3 hours easily. This is of course at an indie level, a professional artist can produce animations much faster than I can, but a game like don't starve needs much better animations than I could produce, and more animations too. everything then still needs to be hooked up to the in game animation systems and tested. enemies need AI, which means a branching tree of decisions that they might make at any given moment. dragonfly's AI is simple. "am I within x of the player" if yes: swing and check health. if no: fly towards the player and swing when they reach them, then check if they're below the next "health threshold" to enrage. if they should enrage, then they enrage, and the enrage AI takes over, which now also has to decide whether or not to ground-pound, and has to react to being slept or frozen. this is a simple AI. The new bosses have much more complicated ai because of their various abilities and their reactions based on where the player is. And every time they develop ANYTHING, they have to run through tests. is it broken, does the creature react appropriately when x happens, is there a bug when y happens. if there's a bug, the bug gets added to a list to be patched, then after the patch, the testing process restarts until they reach an acceptable number of bugs (which means no game or ai breaking ones, and none that are common typically) this process gets repeated with every single new addition to the game. Klei just doesn't have the manpower to feasibly produce quality content when they need to go through all these checks to make sure the content IS quality. when you ask for an overhaul, a lot of times, you are asking for them to make effectively a new game and abandon their preexisting plans for updating the game. it's okay if you like fortnite, and the content drip style they have more. but don't starve shouldn't try to emulate that. They tried with the monthly releases, and from what they said, it lead to a lot of crunch-time where they had to constantly overwork themselves, while they still honestly didn't produce great content. don't be mistaken klei is still a comparatively indie studio. don't starve is a success, but they are not fabulously wealthy, and they don't have unlimited manpower to accomplish stuff. and I am aware you didn't literally mean you wanted fortnite level updates constantly, I was just more using fortnite as a point of comparison. klei doesn't have the people fortnite does, and if they did have that many people, they'd have to fire them because survival/roguelite/bossrush games aren't nearly as popular as multiplayer shooters of any variety.
  3. entirely unrelated to bosses seems like they made lazy explorer teleport you just barely out of the cage when in it and weather pain should always target FW instead of woven shadows it'll get changed at some point so that's irrelevant
  4. if it's anything like the battle rond that would only be useful in like 2 bossfights so I'd rather have a more universally applicable buff
  5. Not changed on switch yet annnnnd it might not be a good enough change. Plus doesnt stop switch having worse framerate. Stutters obviously affect how you fight bosses.
  6. JoeW, just fixed your list.. Aww this was moved to Other klei services.... how sad
  7. =- THE WANDA SKILLTREE -= You didin't ask for it and here it is! - Branch 1: Age - Choose wisely, young traveler, for you can only choose 1! = Option 1 - Young soul = Skill 1: Spring chicken - Wanda moves 20% faster when young! Skill 2: Swift arms - Wanda attacks 10% faster, but her clock gets a slightly larger range instead. Skill 3: With age comes decay - Depending on how much Wanda heals when using the [Ageless watch], her worn armor and tools will be repaired up to 10% durability. (If you heal 8 age its 10%, 4 age is 5% and no age healed is 0% fixed.) = Option 2 - Old soul = Skill 1: Daredevil - Wanda's shadow magic damage will ramp up with every age point, instead of being in 3 phases. Her new maximum damage output is ~190 dmg. (Near death age.) Skill 2: Old people wisdom - When old, wanda deals 20% more damage to shadow alligned creatures. Skill 3: Whippa snappah - Wanda's alarming clock has a cone shaped AOE when old, dealing 100% damage to the target and 20% to nearby enemies. - Branch 2: Mid life crisis - Wanda's been alive for so long, yet she never considered what the point of it was... Skill 1: Mid life crisis - Between old and middle aged, a new SMALL section will appear that makes Wanda have a mid life crisis. This will give the positives of old age without the negatives. Skill 1 (1): Indecisive - MLC section bigger Skill 1 (2): Old and psychotic - Wanda gains 20 planar damage when MLC, but she will age faster. Skill 2 (1): Persistent - MLC section even bigger Skill 2 (2): Sheltered - Planar damage increased to 30, ages even faster when MLC. Skill 3: Out of the loop - When using the ageless watch, it will age her to the start of MLC. After that there will be a period where she de-ages normally. - Branch 3: New watches - Wanda has been using the same clocks for time travel for a while, maybe it's time for a mixup! Skill 1: H-H-Hurry up! - Wanda's clocks activate 50% faster (recharge remains the same.) = Section 1: Night time = Wanda will experiment more with shadow magic. Skill 1: Bingo watch - Wanda can craft the [Bingo watch], which can be fueled with nightmare fuel. - Bingo watch recipe - [Time pieces] x 1 [Purple gem] x 1 [Marble] x 2 USE: 100 uses (SF refuels 25 uses), ages Wanda by 1 point. This could be used to hurry to a specific age during bossfights. Skill 2: The rot consumes all - Wanda can use her bingo clock to petrify trees and turn food into rot. (2 uses for trees, 100 uses for a food item.) = Section 2: Newfangled scrappy watches = Wagstaff may be a crook, but you must admit that he's hip with the clocks. Skill 1: Stopwatch - Wanda can craft a [Stopwatch], which has a cooldown of 1 minute. - Stopwatch recipe - [Scrap] x 4 [Time pieces] x 1 [Blue gem] x 1 USE: Freezes enemies in time for 2,5 seconds (and any animation they may be doing.), giving a chance for allies to escape. The animation will resume immediately after the time stun is over. You could use this on a CC laser, klaus jump, anything really. Skill 2: Slow motion - Wanda can choose to instead slow down enemy movement by 50% for 5 seconds. = Section 3: Lunar clocks = Lunar magic is arguably just as powerful as shadow magic... Skill 1: Timeline watch - Wanda can craft a [Timeline watch] at a lunar altar, which has a 3 day cooldown. - Timeline watch recipe - [Moonglass] x 15 [Moonrock] x 10 USE: Skips ahead 1 day. Skill 2: Think of the tides! - If wanda inserts an iridescent gem, she can skip a full season. = Affinities = What will she choose? OoOoOoO... - Option 1: Lunar - Skill: Techno babble - Wanda's alarming clock becomes scrappy, dealing more 20% more damage to shadow alligned enemies. - Option 2: Shadow - Skill: The inevitable - Wanda's alarming clock becomes horrid, dealing 20% more damage to lunar alligned creatures. MY THOUGHTS: While these may not be balanced, they're ideas just for fun.
  8. Today
  9. there's hardly any room left to make them easier, you can simply hold F against dfly and stop whenever it starts flying away, there even are setups for automatically freezing it by using a flingo instead of using pan flute, FW is absurdly easy with brightshade staff, nightmare amulet and lazy explorer, most people never complain about toadstool being too hard, you can also kill BQ by holding F with some setups i've already answered that
  10. It wasn't the locking that was the problem :P It's fine anyways - it's been resolved again. I'm just fortunate that we're not the only ones noticing, the forum doesn't just have a bad rep because of player posts
  11. "All I'm asking you to do, is to stop suggesting this method to struggling console players and recognize that for its own set of reasons, this fight is very hard on these platforms. It doesn't matter that some people can solo it. I can solo it. It's still a much harder thing to do on console. Sometimes, I think, when I see people complaining about something, they're not doing a very good job at explaining what's happening, and that results in people perhaps saying really wrong things about the issue, but one commonality is that very few people have good things to say about AFW on console." Grm9 not addressing that console gameplay and experiences may not line up perfectly with DST experience on PC. Althought i want all old bosses reworked and made easier for all platforms. DST is very popular but it could be insanely popular if combat especially boss combat, was made more accessible. Thats my opinion anyway.
  12. I'm sorry it happened to you. But thank you for sharing your story. It makes me feel better.
  13. RNG component, requirement of high cost or green amulet use, unreliable spawning of extra damage from tenticles... Yea it's not very lategame nor the 200 durability did it enough justice. Removing the randomness from it and having higher durability would do a lot for it. Better yet, if we were shadow aligned it could be that the chance to spawn would increase or at least remove chance and add consistency to the cursed weapon as a shadow magic user. If neither of those options would work, the fact that it's size varies with the forge and other skins I'd think of the weapon both as a weapon and a shield we could use to block a hit. Think about it. It would be a lot more strategic overall if the item had more uses considering the cost. Personally I'm all up for giving it higher or better stats, but I'd rather have it have more value in strategy than just more boring additions. Pairing with the crown it could cost durability from it too, or make help cast barrier. Thulecite club block ability please!
  14. idk how to do that could u please show me how in a discord call or something? my discord is '' vuri. '' with the dot btw, appreciate it
  15. DST's balance is varied and non existent, for a sandbox game that's kinda the point. The only balance technically is 'how enjoyable are these features and mechanics' when it comes to sandbox, cause there's no goal of winning but the goal is survival and comfort and the choices you make of how you want do play in that world.
  16. Yes i would love health bars because i loose a lot of confidence when i don't see the damage im dealing
  17. I play games on switch i can't afford a pc and i am really interested in rotwood is it coming to switch?
  18. I think the game shouldn't have any healthbars at all. A good compromise is having the bosses degrade as the fight goes on Even though some people would still complain that there's too much ambiguity
  19. But is on you if you want to tryhard since the beguinning or try some attempts in complicated boss fights before playing without rollbacks Makes no sense to limit boss fights when we have the tools How would you design FW or other cool fights to be able to be beaten without previous knowledge while not downgrading the numbers and ammount of mechanics?? Is like removing klaus' enraging when a deer is killed so people dont waste the entire autumn to repeat the fight because previously they tried to kill the deers. Better yet, charlie shouldnt kill players because that makes them lose their worlds Is on you how much unforgiving you want the experience, downgrading the game makes no sense when there are already ways to make it easier and more friedly. Making things more accesible just makes the game way easier when you use the mechanics designed to make the game less hard
  20. Hey I would love to discuss this further, you can DM me on discord @zgibberish
  21. do you realise that you can practice in a test world and not rollback when playing normally?
  22. No one is saying that. The implication was that rolling back avoids the consequence of losing a fight and having to recover from it. If a boss heals enough it can cost you the fight which doesn't matter if you rollback. In RPG's sure, but not survival or roguelike-esque games where death is meant to carry big consequences.
  23. I think every player should know if a player is wounded like how we can already know if a player is hungry, insane or id is freezing/overheating Character sprites should display scratches and wounds when wounded Also i think we cant know if a player is wet? Never checked if the cursor shows blue words over a wet player
  24. you usually don't need to predict phase transitions in those games because you can react to them and it allows you to hit bosses more than you safely could've before stagger/death without counting hits to know that they'll stagger/die soon
  25. No, but I’d add them as a wortox thing only. He should be able to see both enemies and allies HP. A healer who can’t see who needs healing is really weird design in first place. And it also makes sense for him to “know” when creatures are dying.
  1. Load more activity