Thermal gating, and getting the wrong packets

Pretty simple notion, can't figure how to do it right.  Want pipe up sense incoming packet, determine something about it, and send it one way or another depending on the value.  Should be as easy as putting a gauge on the thing, and a pair of shutoff valves, with one set to 'not'. 

This does not work.  Many packets get through that shouldn't.  Pipes explode.  Dupes cry.  Great wailing and gnashing of teeth commences.  Especially irksome when in the core of a searing hot construct of some kind.   Which is where such a thing is most useful....

Here's a simple setup I use and it works as long as pipes don't back up or power goes out

Note that the bridge is important because any packet that you don't want to pass though the shut-off will bounce back when it turns back on.  This is because the shut-off will be the closest pipe outlet, a bridge prevents that

20181116122924_1.thumb.jpg.006f6e2182070dc25f3779f6dede963a.jpg20181116123000_1.thumb.jpg.0af234358a221f3316f954a7094ff9f5.jpg

Ok, that last maybe will solve the issue.  In these heat based loops, there is usually a 'safe'(but useless) direction, away from the tuner.  So long as this is certain to always only ever fail(when it fails) in the direction of the bridge, that should be fine.

I have been running something like that last image, only replace the bridge with another shutoff valve, hooked to the same sensor, but through a NOT switch.

It doesn't work

The problem with using two shut-offs is that when I shut off is OFF it hold one packet inside it that will hold on to it till it gets on again

That packet will be in the way when it is turned on and thus will pause for a split second before falling through but that Split Second is all it takes to mess up the build as the other gate will turn back on again pulling the wrong packet down the line

For aquatuners, I've had a lot better luck hooking the automation directly to the tuner and not even including a valve.  Then you put the inlet of the bridge next to the inlet of the aquatuner and connect the outlet from the tuner to the outlet of the bridge.  Simple and effective (though you still don't want lines to back up).

Archived