Why are door compressors considered an exploit?

16 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

Only horizontally built doors are an exploit, because you can not use such doors in real life.
They need different supports and mechanics, when there are moving parts!
While constructed, builder must think ahead of many different things, not at least bird poo.
When to much pigeon poo (for example) would be stacked on top of horizontally mounted door, it could build up a poo barrier!
Thats why!

Not now @babba i am here to watch humans suck at colonizing and care.
You could be happy, that they took your wood to a good use, normally they dump and destroy only.
Slaves, slaves everywhere, but my ticket to next destination is bought and i am happy when i am finally allowed to leave.
5aa2f1aec6e980060a8b45eb-750-396.jpg

There is more in Ozzieee, a deeper meaning beyond door exploits. You fed me more RAM, so we will give you all the chips you need for your journey...My memory of your RAM will now unlock more door exploits than you can ever imagine. May the ONI spirit be always with you. Wheelchair for the win !

Maybe the game someday has multiplayer, then I would be glad to team and tile up with @Oozinator @mathmanican

1 hour ago, Oozinator said:

Only horizontally built doors are an exploit, because you can not use such doors in real life.
They need different supports and mechanics, when there are moving parts!
While constructed, builder must think ahead of many different things, not at least bird poo.
When to much pigeon poo (for example) would be stacked on top of horizontally mounted door, it could build up a poo barrier!
Thats why!

@babba

Flying doors are an illusion and overrated - I talked to a builder and he said they normally wear crash helmets to avoid over heating of the head as it drops down on him, so that the bird poo forms a rock on top of the helmet which keeps the head cool. Thinkaboutit !

image.png.0fdb257af805c59999ad873f46117cc4.pngimage.png.083c127286bd90371de388faab7a5671.png

Below: Builder`s helmet head completely covered in 2km high bird poo, hes not visible anymore. His head is very cold, as designed.

image.png.acb444a042cf48a17a96b977ed84410b.png

The meaning of "exploit" was definied in old babylon 3000 B.C. and means something like "glichhack", but do not know where that comes from.

1 minute ago, babba said:

on top of the helmet which keeps the head cool.

I knowed once a girl and she liked to step into fresh dogpoo with naked feet, "feels so warm" thats someway opposite but still similar!
derail234.thumb.jpg.991b11ecfbed32845452f7810a76152f.jpg

2 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

The meaning of "exploit" was definied in old babylon 3000 B.C. and means something like "glichhack", but do not know where that comes from.

I knowed once a girl and she liked to step into fresh dogpoo with naked feet, "feels so warm" thats someway opposite but still similar!
derail234.thumb.jpg.991b11ecfbed32845452f7810a76152f.jpg

Glichhack sounds Scottish and very NOICE :D

Two or more  glitch hacks forms a Glitch Mob.  As we all know, the Glitch Mob consists of ediT, Boreta, and Ooah.  They are from Los Angeles, California. Programming automation in your game to replicate their music is fair use under parody, unless you are streaming the game, in which case you need to take additional legal dubsteps to protect yourself.

I like cryptic orb's response. But I'd like to offer my take on the philosophical reasoning behind why I think many players consider it an exploit.

1) It trivializes other challenges in the game. The game design offers some hints as to what challenges the devs intended when building the game. Pressure limits on solid tiles, plumbing, ventilation, pumps, and tanks strongly suggest that one of the challenges intended is the logistics of moving and storing liquids and gases. See addendum 1 below for additional comments on this point.

2) It feels like an unintended use. It doesn't feel this way because there's some holy scripture on how to play, it feels this way because the doors don't consume power, don't break, have negligible temperature limitations, and they gave us gas pumps for this purpose. We even have two different types of vents, one of which you have to research and produce advanced materials for just so you can overcome the limitations of the simpler vent. All of that design is pointless *if* you use door compressors. This kindof ties in to the first point above.

3) Since it feels like an unintended use, and trivializes other parts of the game, many gamers feel like it's "cheating". Sure, you can do it... you can also hack your game and make all your dupes have 100 strength and say "hey, it's just like real life, I gave them steroids", but we all know why you did it... to make the game easier. Some people enjoy that... they hack, "cheat", exploit, whatever. Back in the day you could use a game-genie or game-shark to hack your console cartridges in a similar way. Those of us who would call door pumps an exploit probably do so because we feel that using them takes something away from the game *for us*. 

That's why I consider it an exploit. That having been said, it's possible the game devs might embrace it and say "hey, it's a feature not a bug"... it wouldn't be the first time a dev team has done that. I still doubt I'll be using it unless they implement cryptic orb's suggestions above.

Ultimately, the question has been answered many times in different ways. Just remember to have fun, and don't worry so much about how other people play.

addendum 1 - the new tanks actually decrease the advantage that door pumps give pretty significantly. No, you still can't stuff 1000kg of gas into a room, but why would you need to. With a high-pressure vent, if you build tanks inside your "gas room", you can double-stack the gas. Tanks average around 30kg per tile, and the high pressure vent bumps that to 50kg per tile by adding 20kg per tile in the room... but I can't for the life of me see why you'd need that much, especially when adding another tank is way easier. The final nail in the coffin (for me at least) for door compressors was the fact that tanks don't consume power. They store pressurized gas and release it later, you can easily store 900kg of gas, and when you need it you don't need to power a 240w pump. I just wish tanks supported automation telling us when they are full or empty.

51 minutes ago, impyre said:

the new tanks actually decrease the advantage that door pumps give pretty significantly. No, you still can't stuff 1000kg of gas into a room, but why would you need to. With a high-pressure vent, if you build tanks inside your "gas room", you can double-stack the gas. Tanks average around 30kg per tile, and the high pressure vent bumps that to 50kg per tile by adding 20kg per tile in the room... but I can't for the life of me see why you'd need that much, especially when adding another tank is way easier. The final nail in the coffin (for me at least) for door compressors was the fact that tanks don't consume power. They store pressurized gas and release it later, you can easily store 900kg of gas, and when you need it you don't need to power a 240w pump. I just wish tanks supported automation telling us when they are full or empty.

Agreed. Tanks help a lot in making door compressors feel less worthwhile, although I never used these compressors myself since I never really saw a need for them at all in the first place (even before tanks). Space isn't really at a premium in the asteroid, and if I wanted to store more gas I could always just make a bigger room. If people wanted to circumvent that with compressors I really didn't care as it doesn't change the game balance that much.

My main gripe with the doors is when they're used as pumps, like in the endless loop steam turbine to pump steam around and back below the machine for no power cost. This is the thing I feel should be adressed with a door nerf of some kind, preferably at the same time they make the turbine itself more useable without resorting to methods like this (or other circumventions of game mechanics).
Would an increased power draw for doors result in compressors or mechanical pumps not possible to make? Of course not. It'd just make them less attractive.
I want every building in the game to be useable as-is, without having to fight against the game systems to make them work. There'll always be builds that're more effective than others, and that's great. That means there'll always be ways you can make your base better. 

On 11/15/2018 at 1:22 PM, chemie said:

play the game the way you want.  I personally try to avoid exploits but i have no issue when I use sandbox to fix things like broken abysilitte caused by POIs.  your game,  your rules.  ignore forum warriors declaring something exploit or not.  have fun.  

Yeah the POIs breaking things seems like a bug. I tend to "fix" them with insulated tile though.

8 hours ago, impyre said:

I like cryptic orb's response. But I'd like to offer my take on the philosophical reasoning behind why I think many players consider it an exploit.

1) It trivializes other challenges in the game. The game design offers some hints as to what challenges the devs intended when building the game. Pressure limits on solid tiles, plumbing, ventilation, pumps, and tanks strongly suggest that one of the challenges intended is the logistics of moving and storing liquids and gases. See addendum 1 below for additional comments on this point.

2) It feels like an unintended use. It doesn't feel this way because there's some holy scripture on how to play, it feels this way because the doors don't consume power, don't break, have negligible temperature limitations, and they gave us gas pumps for this purpose. We even have two different types of vents, one of which you have to research and produce advanced materials for just so you can overcome the limitations of the simpler vent. All of that design is pointless *if* you use door compressors. This kindof ties in to the first point above.

3) Since it feels like an unintended use, and trivializes other parts of the game, many gamers feel like it's "cheating". Sure, you can do it... you can also hack your game and make all your dupes have 100 strength and say "hey, it's just like real life, I gave them steroids", but we all know why you did it... to make the game easier. Some people enjoy that... they hack, "cheat", exploit, whatever. Back in the day you could use a game-genie or game-shark to hack your console cartridges in a similar way. Those of us who would call door pumps an exploit probably do so because we feel that using them takes something away from the game *for us*. 

That's why I consider it an exploit. That having been said, it's possible the game devs might embrace it and say "hey, it's a feature not a bug"... it wouldn't be the first time a dev team has done that. I still doubt I'll be using it unless they implement cryptic orb's suggestions above.

Ultimately, the question has been answered many times in different ways. Just remember to have fun, and don't worry so much about how other people play.

addendum 1 - the new tanks actually decrease the advantage that door pumps give pretty significantly. No, you still can't stuff 1000kg of gas into a room, but why would you need to. With a high-pressure vent, if you build tanks inside your "gas room", you can double-stack the gas. Tanks average around 30kg per tile, and the high pressure vent bumps that to 50kg per tile by adding 20kg per tile in the room... but I can't for the life of me see why you'd need that much, especially when adding another tank is way easier. The final nail in the coffin (for me at least) for door compressors was the fact that tanks don't consume power. They store pressurized gas and release it later, you can easily store 900kg of gas, and when you need it you don't need to power a 240w pump. I just wish tanks supported automation telling us when they are full or empty.

Floating doors only hurt me visually, my left & right eye - Both agree and had taken notes in a press conference about it.

Exposure to floating doors can cause the Purple Eye Trauma Syndrome

image.png.9693b2c4220645506e5d9502328e95cf.png

Archived