Want to upgrade? Cheap hardware to run ONI "decent"

Your system is old and you want to upgrade, but dont want to spend a fortune ? Cheap and new hardware to run ONI "decent". Do not shoot and blame me if you are unhappy at the end :confused:

These specs will run the game around 30% slower than building/buying a system which can cost 2x to 5x more.

The below total price is somewhere at usd$335-350, give or take. If you can reuse some existing parts, great.

Intel Core i3-8350K @ 4.00GHz usd$184.99 ( High base clock )

https://ark.intel.com/products/126689/Intel-Core-i3-8350K-Processor-8M-Cache-4-00-GHz-

Single Thread Performance Score 2341 ( 30% below fastest )
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Intel Socket 1151 with Cooler Artic 7 freezer pro at usd$20
Compatible socket 1151 throwaway board at $50

+compatible RAM purchase ( ONI needs 8GB with Windows10 ), some generic DDR4 8GB $80

If youve got some up to 5 year old dedicated graphic card which was at the time above usd300, you should be ok. There is lots of used ones on the second hand market too.

1 hour ago, SharraShimada said:

I have a sinple question:

Why the i3? It has hyper threading, but thats nothing you will gain a boost to ONIs performance. 

The i5 would have turbo boost, and this should provide much more power to performance. 

Intel Core i3-8350K @ 4.00GHz usd$184.99

Single Thread Performance Score 2341 ( 30% below fastest )
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Its a value build suggestion, if one wants to spend more on a new good performing ( turbo boost ) cpu and one has the thermal cooling and detail turbo boost knowledge  - Sure :) The socket 1151 value build also makes it possible to put an i5 or i7 socket 1151 cpu in to the board at a later time.

If you have a specific i5 in mind, one can check the single core performance of that cpu in the above link.

There is lots of lower scoring cpu`s on the passmark list which can be bought cheap as second hand ...but getting below 2300 on the passmark single thread cpu score is getting too far away from what ONI needs if one does a lot of stuff in the ONI game ( default map size, all excavated tiles, automation ). My opinion and personal experience.

This game will run superb in 6 to 12 years with giant maps and a top notch cpu then :D

2 hours ago, babba said:

This game will run superb in 6 to 12 years with giant maps and a top notch cpu then :D

Oh! I bet it will, but I (we, probably) will be playing the preview build of the game after the next one. Posting how cheap i9 processors can increase fps because some things never change :wilson_ecstatic:

Can you explain me a little thing. I saw people saying that oni run better with single core, but, why i get lower performance if i limit my game to only one thread ?

i got an i7 4790k, and in the task manager, if i look the performance oni use all my thread. What did i miss ?

Archived