How does this egg even work?

I recently got the giant roc event (saved me from a mob of spider gorillas and just in time for a vampire bat wave), got to the island, picked the egg and the sceptre and made my way out of that island.. the problem is, I readed I should put the egg near a fire, and since I made one inside my house, it started sizzling, so I kept feeding the fire and then..

It just stopped

I picked up and placed down again, and did the same thing all over again

Should I take it outside the house or is something else I'm missing?

It grows in size over time, but you can hardly see it growing. If it's cold, It'll make cold sounds, and spawn little snowflakes. If it's hot, it'll start sizzling. 
If it stays cold or hot, you can kill the egg. But if it's not showing either, it's healthy and growing. Keep letting it grow until it's a bit bigger than you, it should hatch after that. 

Spoiler

It's also the only egg to keep growing inside of your pockets, too.

5 minutes ago, Angel_Octoling said:

It grows in size over time, but you can hardly see it growing. If it's cold, It'll make cold sounds, and spawn little snowflakes. If it's hot, it'll start sizzling. 
If it stays cold or hot, you can kill the egg. But if it's not showing either, it's healthy and growing. Keep letting it grow until it's a bit bigger than you, it should hatch after that. 

Hide contents

It's also the only egg to keep growing inside of your pockets, too.

How long does it take for it hatch (Days)?

10 hours ago, Angel_Octoling said:

If it stays cold or hot, you can kill the egg. But if it's not showing either, it's healthy and growing. Keep letting it grow until it's a bit bigger than you, it should hatch after that

It never breaks. Understandable because the Ro Bin is this world's Chester. You only get one.

10 hours ago, Drewey09 said:

How long does it take for it hatch (Days)?

10 hours ago, Angel_Octoling said:

I wouldn't be able to say, because keeping it in good condition has been a challenge.

I know! ^^

I takes 5 days to hatch. :wilson_goodjob:

I got a stone egg about 30 game days ago. I heard that it can hatch in my inventory but it didn't, so I started putting it near a fire pit in the evening and at night for 10 days, but it didn't grow in size or hatch either. Is this possibly a bug?

The egg does shrink if it's left cold at night, but not enough to outpace growing in the daytime whenever it's -not- next to a roaring fire (e.g. when it's totally ignored) You really can just leave it somewhere for ~10 days and come back to a hatched bird. But, it'll be hatch several days earlier if you fire it.

Archived