Ultra Cold Liquid Piping

4 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

Would you be able to use the Automation signal generated by the Rocket to trigger a Liquid Shutoff?

Thought of both this and the prior suggestion. 

They both still have the problem that the pipes will heat up on rocket launch and then heat up the oxygen on refill.

21 minutes ago, Smithe37 said:

Thought of both this and the prior suggestion. 

They both still have the problem that the pipes will heat up on rocket launch and then heat up the oxygen on refill.

pipes made with insulation don't heat up

20181103001029_1.thumb.jpg.54c993a89e905f6f130813309d74b052.jpg20181103001034_1.thumb.jpg.6765011d9e4cc8d476d5c73b8c53b41d.jpg

1 minute ago, Neotuck said:

that's odd, insulation provides perfect insulation so LOX shouldn't be warming up

I thought maybe it was that the insulation factor was rounded and is just really small like with abyssalite before.
If this was true then over a large temperature gradient you would see leakage of heat.
The pipes are running through insulated tiles if that makes a difference.

Well I just spawned this in debug mode

I'm pumping -200C LOX though an insulated pipe though magma

the LOX that comes out the other side is still -200C, the temp didn't raise a bit

20181103004600_1.thumb.jpg.60b6686e81b3e12a5c291da4d68e8ee1.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By The way if you are looking for an automation for emptying your pipes after your rockets are full try this

First of pretend the reservoir is a rocket and we are filling it with LOX

20181103010922_1.thumb.jpg.dfa772c39f7e7e6d864afc75affbe72e.jpg

Have the pipe run though the input port of the rocket, as long as it's filling it won't go past

20181103010232_1.thumb.jpg.40f4a040dd8522898b4013ee8de0d411.jpg

once your rocket is full the LOX will start to flow back to your LOX storage

20181103010530_1.thumb.jpg.739325966f4eae5248d4f5bd6baf5b77.jpg

It will trip the liquid element sensor that is set to oxygen and resetting the memory gate, which will then turn off the pump

20181103010538_1.thumb.jpg.00c637d19d61a216d2a53965a30b88b6.jpg

eventually all pipes will be empty and your rocket is full and ready to go

20181103010606_1.thumb.jpg.9abb84e3e72df643fafeee141d83b045.jpg

to restart the pump flip the switch again (if it's off turn it on, if it's on turn if off) ether will turn the pump back on

20181103010649_1.thumb.jpg.3faea6170bac48bb42eaf215aa390cf0.jpg

11 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

So...  point of clarity here.....

Are we talking about the Space Age material Insulation being used to make Insulated Pipes, or are we just talking about Insulated Pipes of other materials?  I think this might be the discrepancy here.

I'm using regular pipes but made of insultion. Maybe that's the problem?

Insulated pipes made of ceramic will be fine providing you don't use massive lengths of piping.

Insulation (that is, the space age material) is incredibly costly, and takes a long, long time to farm enough to feasibly use like others have suggested. My best advice would be to keep your pipe lengths short and direct, and just use ceramic until very late game.

Video here for clarity :

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Video here for clarity :

Looks like nice video although at this point of my play-through all this space stuff sound like dark magic to me, but I do have a question about your steam turbine:

Spoiler

image.png.d181b6ba2a35317c5d159f054aba6ab8.png

Shouldn't you leave a tile of space above it?  iirc it cause deletion issues otherwise

1 minute ago, Cipupec2 said:

All this point of my play-through all this space stuff sound like dark magic, but I do have a question about your steam turbine:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.d181b6ba2a35317c5d159f054aba6ab8.png

Shouldn't you leave a tile of space above it?  iirc it cause deletion issues otherwise

Not something i've encountered, but sounds like it'd only be a problem if your room ever becomes cold enough for the steam to condense - this never does.

I've ran this build for around 500 cycles now, never needed a top up since closing her up, so it seems fine to me.

I struggled with this too, then I started using automation to send the exact amount. Trigger a sensor on and off (clock, atmo, whatever), activing a buffer sequence for the desired time. 1800 seconds (9 buffer gates) with 1 gas pump = full steam rocket. 180 seconds with a liquid pump = 2 full liquid fuel tanks.

Spoiler

5bdd493e117e1_ScreenShot2018-11-03at12_02_56AM.thumb.png.4d283b1e15dd0d30d1c97ddec1cef393.png

16 hours ago, Smithe37 said:

How on earth are we supposed to pipe liquid oxygen and hydrogen to our rockets?
Every time they take off they heat the pipes up thousands of degree, cooking the oxygen/hydrogen inside and makind the pipes break...

Insulated pipes mostly work, but you need to empty them after fueling your rocket. (I just have a second pipe back to the tank for that.) Normal pipes basically break immediately. Normal pipes made from insulator do not work [edited].

6 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Not something i've encountered, but sounds like it'd only be a problem if your room ever becomes cold enough for the steam to condense - this never does.

I've ran this build for around 500 cycles now, never needed a top up since closing her up, so it seems fine to me.

I watched your video, and I'm trying to piece together the automation for that 4-door setup.

You gave me an excellent 16-door unpowered setup a while ago, and I've been tinkering with it, but I haven't seen many 4-door setups that work well. Do you have a source or screenshot for that automation? It's only visible for a couple seconds, and I'm missing something in my recreation.

1 hour ago, crypticorb said:

I watched your video, and I'm trying to piece together the automation for that 4-door setup.

You gave me an excellent 16-door unpowered setup a while ago, and I've been tinkering with it, but I haven't seen many 4-door setups that work well. Do you have a source or screenshot for that automation? It's only visible for a couple seconds, and I'm missing something in my recreation.

As always, I had a world class graphic designer on standby, but all these images are starting to cost me some real money... Here you go :

Spoiler

5bddb263dce8b_basicpump.thumb.png.f70263a3178beb957e2040ad65833ba0.png

;) 

34 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

As always, I had a world class graphic designer on standby, but all these images are starting to cost me some real money... Here you go :

Reveal hidden contents

5bddb263dce8b_basicpump.thumb.png.f70263a3178beb957e2040ad65833ba0.png

;) 

You have my thanks.

I've been working on something you might appreciate, optimizing three separate and unique steam turbine designs. I've abandoned the laggy "fastest door pump possible" design for better versions, one of which is the 16-door void suction setup you shared.

Keep an eye out for a steam turbine design thread soon, I'd love your feedback.

22 minutes ago, Smithe37 said:

image.png.ccdb7a4b73a5d89cc35d72f19086563a.png
I tried ceramic insulated. pipes. still the same problem

looks like you pipe in the LOX directly after it condenses, that means it only needs to rise 0.1 degree to break the pipe

cool the LOX more before piping it if you can, get it over 200C, use an aqua tuner if you have to

15 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

looks like you pipe in the LOX directly after it condenses, that means it only needs to rise 0.1 degree to break the pipe

cool the LOX more before piping it if you can, get it over 200C, use an aqua tuner if you have to

Ah okay. I was trying to avoid cooling it excessively but I now see the problem with this.
I'll just add a temp sensor.

15 minutes ago, Smithe37 said:

Ah okay. I was trying to avoid cooling it excessively but I now see the problem with this.
I'll just add a temp sensor.

A hydro sensor would serve you better - slap one above the pump and set it to active if above 10kg or something - that way the LOX thats stored will be full tiles and stable, and your pump wont be moving tiny little packets.

Remember, a 10kg packet of in a pipe will warm slower than one of 10grams - so try to keep the packet size full.

Archived