The Fog Season

Ok so I finally hit the 13 day after stopping trying to rush ruins, and got dropped on by fog suddenly... Now, I don't know what's happening, but is it really intended to just be forced to do nothing(because you have no vision), wear nothing(or it slows you down) and just... wait?

That seems very underwhelming and unfun of a season...

13 minutes ago, orian34 said:

Ok so I finally hit the 13 day after stopping trying to rush ruins, and got dropped on by fog suddenly... Now, I don't know what's happening, but is it really intended to just be forced to do nothing(because you have no vision), wear nothing(or it slows you down) and just... wait?

That seems very underwhelming and unfun of a season...

Tne fog isn't always present and there's a hat that removes the slowing effect.

9 hours ago, Michi01 said:

there's a hat that removes the slowing effect.

the hat hes talking about is the pith hat it can be made with 1 cloth which you can get by hammering the balloon at your spawn or buying it vines which you get by killing snaptooth seedlings and cork 

Even with the pith hat, the fog season is ultimately boring.

You can barely see anything, and fighting shadow creatures becomes 3x harder. Being insane during the fog is a death sentence to less experienced players.

I don't find the concept of a fog season a bad one, but in its current state, it takes away the fun from the game, and discourages newer players to progress through the seasons.

To fix this, they should increse the view distance during the fog and slightly increase the walking speed, as it is too slow.

8 minutes ago, VitorF said:

You can barely see anything, and fighting shadow creatures becomes 3x harder. Being insane during the fog is a death sentence to less experienced players.

Hamlet's seasons are very much directed at indirectly killing the player. It doesn't directly lower you health, but makes it easier for other things to. If it didn't make things more a threat then it wouldn't be dangerous, just annoying.

9 minutes ago, VitorF said:

I don't find the concept of a fog season a bad one, but in its current state, it takes away the fun from the game, and discourages newer players to progress through the seasons.

I ultimately wouldn't recommend Hamlet to newer players in the first place. It can be somewhat appealing due to ease of access to acquiring food through the hamlet, but acquiring most materials in general is much more involved than normal. 

9 minutes ago, VitorF said:

To fix this, they should increse the view distance during the fog and slightly increase the walking speed, as it is too slow.

I think the fog view distance can be fine so long as they have an item planned to remove it entirely, much like the goggles in DST. Otherwise I agree. Though I don't agree with the movement speed thing. If you have the proper equipment then it's not an issue, if you don't then you need to ditch your gear. If you choose to continue wearing your gear despite the slowdown that's more of a poor player choice then a poor gameplay one. 

4 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Hamlet's seasons are very much directed at indirectly killing the player. It doesn't directly lower you health, but makes it easier for other things to. If it didn't make things more a threat then it wouldn't be dangerous, just annoying.

I ultimately wouldn't recommend Hamlet to newer players in the first place. It can be somewhat appealing due to ease of access to acquiring food through the hamlet, but acquiring most materials in general is much more involved than normal. 

I think the fog view distance can be fine so long as they have an item planned to remove it entirely, much like the goggles in DST. Otherwise I agree. Though I don't agree with the movement speed thing. If you have the proper equipment then it's not an issue, if you don't then you need to ditch your gear. If you choose to continue wearing your gear despite the slowdown that's more of a poor player choice then a poor gameplay one. 

The goggles would be nice. I said it gets boring, because it gets in the way when you're doing anything.

- Picking materials gets harder - you can only see grass/twigs/trees when they're right by your side.

- Fighting gets unforgiving - can't see very far, and can't use a defensive helmet.

- Exploring gets annoying, your field of view gets so restricted that you must constantly use the map to see if there is anything of interest in the vicinity (cave clefts, ruins, etc)

- Looking for pigs to trade in town gets frustrating and time-consuming.

Maybe they could add an improved pith hat which increases view distance, much like the way fashion goggles turn into desert goggles.

Wait a ding dang darn minute! I keep forgetting this, but I did find 2 "fan" hats in the files! Everyone keeps wanting a way to clear the fog, and I always forget about those hats. Maybe those are the way to get rid of the fog in later updates?

Archived