Liquid and gas reservoirs

Granted there isn't a way to identify when a tank is partially empty, but there are ways to identify when a tank is full (any element) or empty (one element).

I took the idea of bridging overflow to a vacuumed room with atmosphere sensor, and applied it to two tanks. What the setup in the screenshots does is:

1. combines small packets in tank A until it is full
  2. switches, and starts to fill tank B
  3. tank A then outputs its contents (via full packets) to the sorting line
  4. repeat 1-3 for tank B

As you can see it's not 100% perfect, but it's very efficient. You can easily convert this into a Clock Sensor controlled setup and fill one tank for the AM and the other tank for the PM.

Identifying if a tank is full for a single element is much easier as you do not need to exhaust the gas to a room; you simply use an Gas Pipe Element Sensor in the overflow line. If that element is present, the tank is full.

20181022021820_1.thumb.jpg.ca4df84b9361b430ea6e978f3762ca9b.jpg

20181022021825_1.thumb.jpg.72ae630fb0b27c98e7caf5903c69c692.jpg

(Sorry for the crude nature of the build; this was done in survival mode in a very limited area.)

18 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

Granted there isn't a way to identify when a tank is partially empty, but there are ways to identify when a tank is full (any element) or empty (one element).

I took the idea of bridging overflow to a vacuumed room with atmosphere sensor, and applied it to two tanks. What the setup in the screenshots does is:

1. combines small packets in tank A until it is full
  2. switches, and starts to fill tank B
  3. tank A then outputs its contents (via full packets) to the sorting line
  4. repeat 1-3 for tank B

As you can see it's not 100% perfect, but it's very efficient. You can easily convert this into a Clock Sensor controlled setup and fill one tank for the AM and the other tank for the PM.

Identifying if a tank is full for a single element is much easier as you do not need to exhaust the gas to a room; you simply use an Gas Pipe Element Sensor in the overflow line. If that element is present, the tank is full.

20181022021820_1.thumb.jpg.ca4df84b9361b430ea6e978f3762ca9b.jpg

20181022021825_1.thumb.jpg.72ae630fb0b27c98e7caf5903c69c692.jpg

(Sorry for the crude nature of the build; this was done in survival mode in a very limited area.)

I just use gas and liquid bridges priority to tell if a bunch of reservoirs are full or not.

On 10/21/2018 at 7:15 PM, scaldinghotcarl said:

The oxylite refinery badly needs to be setup to batch, like the glass forge or metal refinery, and not run continuously.

You can use a variety of automation setups to run it only when you want to do so.  For instance, a handful of Atmo Sensors scattered throughout your base could funnel through a series of And Gates to redirect your oxygen flow to the Oxylite Refinery only when oxygen pressure is above a certain point throughout your base.

On 10/29/2018 at 6:39 PM, goboking said:

You can use a variety of automation setups to run it only when you want to do so.  For instance, a handful of Atmo Sensors scattered throughout your base could funnel through a series of And Gates to redirect your oxygen flow to the Oxylite Refinery only when oxygen pressure is above a certain point throughout your base.

I would use a weight plate to have it stop once it makes enough. But it was futile to make it because the dupes would still load it into the oxidizer tanks even though they were over they pre-set mass limits. It got fixed in a patch, but even with the liquid pipe connected they would still load as much oxylite as I could make. 

What would be super cool is if they have a special vessel for moving oxy around. When you need 800kg for your rocket they would grab a bunch and move it into space. As soon as it hit the lower air pressure it starts to evaporate and now you have less. If they started with the right amount they now have to get more, and so on. It's like Zeno's Paradox, but somehow they get enough there eventually. Which means Achilles wins I guess...

10 hours ago, scaldinghotcarl said:

What would be super cool is if they have a special vessel for moving oxy around.

A while ago i suggested a wrapper machine that would wrap stuff into platic bags not allowing them to offgas. It would be extremely useful here.

You can use the memory gate with a couple liquid sensors, one before a reservoir and one after, so that when the reservoir is empty the refinery is active until it is full.

https://imgur.com/a/S0Ot5sR

The refinery will operate until the reservoir is full, causing petroleum to go into the overflow section at the top, disabling the refinery. Once the reservoir is empty, it turns back on as the output pipe will have no fluid left.

Granted, this isn't very granular as you're working in either 150kg (gas) or 5t (liquid) blocks, but you can still do it.

That said, I'd still like to see an automation option.

Archived