Zero energy high pressure liquid storage without door compression

I was looking through some old save files recently and came across an oldie but goldie. The infinite water loop. So I thought, I can refine that to a high pressure liquid storage to tame those high output geysers easily. It requires a bare minimum of effort to set up, no automation door compressors to annoy you and slow down the game, no really advanced research required, and a bare minimum of materials.

So here it is. The secret sauce is the two gas tiles above the mesh tiles. They contain two different gases which can any two different gases. The amount of gas is also pretty irrelevant. This set up will push any liquid in the mesh tiles through to any pressure level so you can also use it as a totally free energy magma pump should you need that.

image.thumb.png.f0911fc4105427083cae53f66e2eb2b6.png

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

One element per tile is a bug? Please explain.

It was a weird behavior and one element per tile is rule for the game.

Water can be put down and store infinitely but gas doesn't want to push up they just bounce each other instead of push water in front of geyser away.

1 minute ago, SackMaggie said:

It was a weird behavior and one element per tile is rule for the game.

Water can be put down and store infinitely but gas doesn't want to push up they just bounce each other instead of push water in front of geyser away.

That is the nature of the game mechanics that there is no pressure check so the gas will not push the water lock above away but will happily displace the falling water and compress it infinitely.

Like many other things based on the one element per tile rule like mechanical filters I can't see this as a bug. It's just using (or abusing if you will) the game mechanics. I don't see this change any time soon, if at all but obviously it may change so use at your discretion.

12 minutes ago, Cypher-7 said:

Are the doors used to stop pressure damage against the insulated tiles? 

Yes. You can't use air tiles as the set up relies on a stable water lock and trapped gases. But then again doors are the same amount of metal per tile as air tiles so there's no reason not to use them. I'd suggest setting them to locked just to be safe from accidentally opening them and letting out a veritable tsunami.

I wonder if this type of reservoir can be used to distribute heat more quickly and even in comparison to an open reservoir. I assume that if you would add liquid with random temperatures then the temperature difference between the coldest and the hottest tile would be smaller than in an open, normal pressure reservoir.

3 minutes ago, clickrush said:

I wonder if this type of reservoir can be used to distribute heat more quickly and even in comparison to an open reservoir. I assume that if you would add liquid with random temperatures then the temperature difference between the coldest and the hottest tile would be smaller than in an open, normal pressure reservoir.

From observation I can say that is the case. Also since heat transfer is based on mass it would be logical that was the case. It equalizes temperatures in all the tiles almost instantly when the pressure gets really high, think 1000s of tons per tile.

Btw, the example above is about the bare minimum you need for it to work. I would strongly suggest having double thickness walls everywhere just to avoid a raging dupe smashing up a tile and letting the water trapped inside out, or you accidentally deconstruct/replace a tile. 

Archived