Steam Turbine as a universal heat killer

I want to show you how I use a steam turbine to cool everything I want getting power. Very handy and portable setup, easy to build

Edit. Right, currently the aquatuner does not break from overheating. So with this feature (bag) you are able to collect your world's heat in one place & feed you steam turbine with it producing power

turb+aqua.sav

It was surprising for me that an aquatuner didn't get broken when it was overheating. So I realized that I could cool a huge amount of water using an aquatuner + petroleum (-57 - +538, heat capacity 1.76). 

So I poured crude oil in a tank with an auatuner, started cooling water. At 538 the crude oil transformed into petroleum what was ok for me. Then I was trying to figure out how to cool the petroleum in a simple way without pipes, whizwords etc. So I made a room with a turbine, filled it with hydrogen and poured some amount of water so the turbine would work constantly. It will work forever from now. The setup is stable. At the same time the turbine cools the petroleum. When the petroleum gets so cool that it can't heat steam anymore, turbine stops working waiting for heat from the aquatuner. So that way you cool something = get power + cool the refrigerant for your aquatuner. Perfect setup. Sometimes you need power from another source cause the turbine does not work constantly , it's only one little minus 

16 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

@kolyapedal I'll have to revisit the aquatuner.  Previously if you got it over about 175c, it would start overheating and break.  This will make it MUCH easier to boil crude into petroleum.

Yeah. But you'll have trouble to pump then that petroleum cause a liquid pump gets broken being overheated. Using a turbine you can cool the petroleum till about 200c and then you have to cool it more till 125c to get to pump it. 

2 hours ago, Carnis said:

is this some mod? My buildings do break.

It does seem to work. I'd consider it an exploit though. And being that, why not combine it with the chlorine clamp exploit and have a completely self-powered aquatuner with some power to spare.

The steam turbine is tricked on by the chlorine clamp and aquatuner is protected from completely breaking by being cooled by the steam turbine whenever the temp sensor in the chlorine senses above 230C.

EDIT: Apparently the aquatuner only breaks when the metal it's made off melts at the moment so go for it. Make those crazy oil boiler builds happen

So you have a permanently self-powered aquatuner... well, as long as you have something to cool obviously. I think that's going to be the limiting factor.

Not as powerful as drip cooling obviously but once running, completely self-powered and with excess power generation. Pretty neat. And not too difficult to build in a survival game either.

image.thumb.png.9457f9efb76bbaf4b8b69fb3189bd7e9.png

1 minute ago, Carnis said:

Is it Power positive?

A single tuner will use 1200w and heat 10kg water by 14 degrees. Assuming you Block 4 ports, 2kg/s.. consumed.

So single tuner tick Will heat 2kg water by 70 degrees. 2 ticks 140.. is that enough?

Mine is because I use the chlorine clamp exploit so the steam turbine is always on giving you 800W excess power. You might say but wait, I don't want to use an exploit. Well, tough. The whole aquatuner only actually breaking when it melts is obviously an exploit in itself. 

4 minutes ago, Djoums said:

How do you setup the chlorine clamp ? I can't find an easy way :D

That's almost the easiest part. Take a gas valve. Set it to 0.1g. Run some chlorine in the pipe after the valve. Stop it by deconstructing a pipe section. Then proceed to deconstruct all but one single pipe section. Run pipes from that one pipe section with the trapped chlorine to the vent in the clamp under the steam turbine. Viola. 100mg chlorine in the clamp. 50mg in each tile.

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

That's almost the easiest part. Take a gas valve. Set it to 0.1g. Run some chlorine in the pipe after the valve. Stop it by deconstructing a pipe section. Then proceed to deconstruct all but one single pipe section. Run pipes from that one pipe section with the trapped chlorine to the vent in the clamp under the steam turbine. Viola. 100mg chlorine in the clamp. 50mg in each tile.

Ah nice, I thought you needed a few mg at most.

1 minute ago, Djoums said:

Ah nice, I thought you needed a few mg at most.

You normally would but the aquatuner produces plenty excess heat so it doesn't need to be that accurate. There's even a temp sensor there to make sure that the excess heat is destroyed by the steam turbine.

3 minutes ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

I have to admit that I'm a steam turbine noob. Could you explain some stuff in the picture above?

The liquid. Is it petrol or ph2o? If it's petrol where's the steam coming from? Does steam gets deleted in this build ? And if not then how not?

It's petroleum. No steam gets generated or consumed beyond what is needed to prime the system. It self-circulates because the hydrogen above the steam turbine trick it into thinking that there's the right pressure difference. The chlorine tricks it into thinking the temperature is high enough.

The way to prime it is to pump in hydrogen to fill the entire steam chamber to 2kg/tile. That should be about 54kgs total. Then you pump in water on the window tiles. Twice the amount of water total than hydrogen.

For the prime cycles you'd naturally have to power the aquatuner from an external source until the water you pumped in is turned to steam (note that when that happens you flip the temp sensor from sensing above 230C to below 230C). Then when the chlorine is hot enough the steam turbine turns on (happens at 225-230C). It will stutter a bit in the beginning but just one cycle after it's turned on you can disconnect the external power source, and use the steam turbine as a power source instead.

7 hours ago, Djoums said:

How do you setup the chlorine clamp ?

There are lots of ways.  Building/destroying pipes is one. I just use a clock sensor to drain a small room of gas, till it reaches mcg levels, using the space bar to pause/resume the game. Once it is really low, I turn the clock off and then redirect the piping towards the spot under the steam turbine. 

Another way is to pump a small amount of chlorine into the room before you build the steam turbine.  Then pump it out, but stop when the amount in the room reaches the point you want. Then build the turbine (trapping the chlorine), and then pump the rest of the chlorine out. This lets you build the thing with no vent under the turbine (so looks cleaner - if you care about that). 

Screenshot from 2018-09-16 11-44-59.png

Hydrogen is not essential.  You can use oxygen as well, or any gas that rises above steam to create the pressure differential. 

5b9e9c66e3dfe_Screenshotfrom2018-09-1612-08-54.thumb.png.8fc4d2acf0d689d1b0a7d68db222700a.png

You don't even need to use an aquatuner to get the infinite power, as you can just as easily set this up to give you 2kW constant power. The new piece in this post is the fact that aquatuners no longer break from overheat damage.  That's very interesting.  Thanks @kolyapedal

By the way, the above build can act as either a heat source (heating things up to 159.1C, so 425K), or a heat sink (dropping temp of hot things to 425K).  By putting noninsulated abysallite tiles on the top or a side, you can pick where you want the heat source/sink. The glass tiles above can be replaced with whatever you want. I like to put an aquatuner where you see the glass tiles, with airflow tiles to the right of it to allow the steam to still flow. You can see a possible such build in the Steam Behemoth post.

One advantage the oxygen/hydrogen pressure differential trick has is that it requires less water to prime. With the door pump, you need more water to prime things. However, the pressure trick requires one tile of open space above the generator, whereas that's not needed with a door pump. 

5b9e9fb8699ad_Screenshotfrom2018-09-1612-23-17.thumb.png.1b453268ed7ca4e6ef2b7d64a5c8e6d7.png

Key things to keep generator running:

1. Maintain high pressure.  You can use pressure differentials (hydrogen/oxygen at top of turbine -needs one row above turbine), door pumps, infinite waterfall (didn't portray that here), or space to keep the top part a vacuum (eats water). Block all but one vent in most cases. 
  2. Heat source under 1 tile. Heat steam with lava/regolith/etc. Use neutronium. Use small amounts of chlorine with a hot plate under them.

Uses once you get it working:

1. The output temp of new steam is always 425K (159.1C). Use this as a heat source/heat sink. This will suck away heat generated by an aquatuner.
  2. Get 2kW power. Constant uptime with exploits.

30 minutes ago, Gonhog said:

I have a problem. For some reason, if I put any tile under the Steam turbine, it says that the input is blocked. Anyone else having this problem? (And I'm in the Rocketry update, don't know if that does anything)

That's normal. Doesn't affect anything.

Just now, Saturnus said:

That's normal. Doesn't affect anything.

It doesn't seem to run though. I have 50 mg of chlorine in the spot where its supposed to be, hydrogen creating a pressure buffer, and plenty of steam, but the turbine doesn't seem to be starting up. Is there anything I seem to be missing?

2 minutes ago, Gonhog said:

It doesn't seem to run though. I have 50 mg of chlorine in the spot where its supposed to be, hydrogen creating a pressure buffer, and plenty of steam, but the turbine doesn't seem to be starting up. Is there anything I seem to be missing?

You have a heat source under the chlorine so the chlorine stays above 230C?

Note the one tile of petroleum with the temp shift plate under the chlorine.

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

Can you post a screenshot?

Ya. Give me a sec.

And btw, I'm trying to replicate the first turbine setup by Mathmanician, the one turbine setup.

The steam is currently 18Kg (I was messing around with it) at 786 F, the petroleum is 700 Kg at 750 F, and the chlorine is 50 mg at 770.

Steam.PNG

Archived