Question about energy use

Pumps and shutoff valves use energy only when they are active i.e. pumping packets, and use none if they are put on standby due to automation or by some other input. 

What about
1. Mechanical doors, do they use energy only when Dups are passing or constantly?  
2. Exosuit docks - only when they are filling air, constantly ?
3. Checkpoint - only when dups passing, whenever active, or?
4. Autosweepers - only when they pick up something or constant? 

1 hour ago, Cipupec2 said:

are you sure? according to the ingame text, it prevents dups passing when on standby, so wouldn't that be the other way around?

Very sure, tested this just for this thread since I actually do not use 'em

1 hour ago, greenpheonix632 said:

is this true for bunker door?

Tested that some time ago, they only use energy while opening IIRC, not quite sure about closing but while fully open they do not use energy

8 hours ago, Cipupec2 said:

Pumps and shutoff valves use energy only when they are active i.e. pumping packets, and use none if they are put on standby due to automation or by some other input. 

What about
1. Mechanical doors, do they use energy only when Dups are passing or constantly?  
2. Exosuit docks - only when they are filling air, constantly ?
3. Checkpoint - only when dups passing, whenever active, or?
4. Autosweepers - only when they pick up something or constant? 

• Shutoff valves only draw power while switching state.
  • Doors only use power while opening or closing.

1 hour ago, KittenIsAGeek said:
  • Doors only use power while opening or closing.

Welp, kinda missed that little change from the Cosmic Upgrade. Now I am conflicted: Should I ask Klei to stop updating or should I be glad? I know the answer should be obvious but...

2 minutes ago, SakuraKoi said:

Welp, kinda missed that little change from the Cosmic Upgrade. Now I am conflicted: Should I ask Klei to stop updating or should I be glad? I know the answer should be obvious but...

That's been that way for at least a year. Nothing has changed in that regard from CU.

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

That's been that way for at least a year. Nothing has changed in that regard from CU.

Nope, I sure do recall it being in Ranch Mark II before avoiding it (keeping 'em doors open) and indeed:

• Pressure Door only consumes electricity when opening/closing

Of course there is a difference between 3 months and a year but... 3 months sure did pass quickly, don't the? Though those 3 months were awfully hot.

1 hour ago, SakuraKoi said:

Nope, I sure do recall it being in Ranch Mark II before avoiding it (keeping 'em doors open) and indeed:

Of course there is a difference between 3 months and a year but... 3 months sure did pass quickly, don't the? Though those 3 months were awfully hot.

Nope. The difference in Cosmic Upgrade is only that there is now a difference in operating speed between whether they were powered or not. They consumed power when opening and closing even before then which is why most people didn't connect them.

EDIT: There was a brief period in a preview but I think that was in the closed beta test where doors consumed power constantly though.

Prior to the Cosmic Upgrade, the Airlock did take up 120W if it was open and connected to a grid. In return, if it was not connected, it remained open for free. That was fixed hence why it says "only" and making them powered actually made sense was implemented additionally (just the line above).

At least I did not miss the shower fix, I just hope you won't argue about them giving a stress reduction prior... 

Archived