How many seconds are in a cycle?

I calculate that to grow enough sleet wheat to feed 5 dupes pepper bread will take 375 kg of water per cycle.  I have a steam vent that I think output 5kg of steam per second, but how many seconds are in a cycle so I can figure out how much water that thing produces per cycle?

Just now, psusi said:

Ahh ok... so 12.5% of the output, when it isn't dormant.  I have no idea how people manage to not crash and burn with 20+ dupes.

You do not have to feed all your dupes top tier food because not every dupe has to be a top tier worker 

6 minutes ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

You do not have to feed all your dupes top tier food because not every dupe has to be a top tier worker 

Pretty much no one needs to have a job at all. I find the best strategy is the accumulate some higher tier foods and train the dupes in the jobs that unlocks abilities. After they've mastered the roles I need filled they join the unemployment line. With 16 dupes in my latest game, only 3 had a job at cycle 100. Almost all are unemployed combined miner/plumber/exosuit engineers.

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

Pretty much no one needs to have a job at all. I find the best strategy is the accumulate some higher tier foods and train the dupes in the jobs that unlocks abilities. After they've mastered the roles I need filled they join the unemployment line. With 16 dupes in my latest game, only 3 had a job at cycle 100.

Making them unemployed does nothing; they still retain the demands of the highest job they have mastered.

2 minutes ago, psusi said:

Making them unemployed does nothing; they still retain the demands of the highest job they have mastered.

They are still far more versatile. When they have a job they have a certain priority of tasks they do based on their job. As unemployed they do them in the priority order you set yourself. Plus... I don't like the hats.

4 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

They are still far more versatile. When they have a job they have a certain priority of tasks they do based on their job. As unemployed they do them in the priority order you set yourself. Plus... I don't like the hats.

Only if you tick the box to enable auto prioritization.  I guess I kind of like the hats ;)

27 minutes ago, psusi said:

Plus, who want's to live in a colony where you don't have the status you earned though hard work?  I run colonies of opportunity.

I find, if you are careful to never destroy a wild sleet wheat and you grow a modest amount of bristle berries, you can make an enormous amount of berry sludge (+8) early on.  I just went from 16 to 24 dupes when my food got to 1.4 million.  I feed my hatches omelets (which seems cannibalistic) because they are only +4 and wild mushrooms (+1 when fried) to get rid of them.  As you clear more map, and again are careful not to destroy wild pincha pepper plants, you can make stuffed berries (+12) and bread (+16).  My only agriculture up to about 10 cycles ago was my 29 bb plants.  I am just now uncovering a water vent, so I may start growing pincha pepper.  I added about 24 sleet wheat about 10 cycles ago when I determined water was not going to be scarce long term.     

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at August 28, 2018 2.04.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at August 28, 2018 2.05.22 PM.png

Archived