Nori rolls and Sushi

New food item concept.

First a Microbe Musher recipe which is very simple.  Nori (Japanese seaweed paper) made of Algae, which for some reason has been ignored until now as dupes prefer to eat dirt.  Say 20 kg of Algae to make a Nori roll (it looks like a little green Swiss roll) which has a quality of 1 and has 1,000 kcal.  On it's own a modest early game food that doesn't involve using ones precious water supply.

But add Packu fish (were going catholic now and fish is not just generic meat but it's own food item) and you can create sushi out of 1 fish unit (2,500 kcal) and 1 Nori roll and yields 4,000 kcal at a quality of 4.  Wasabi not included.  This recipe gives us a reason to have a fish farm and a use for fish meat, not just the fish eggs.

Wasabi from another planet? +1 quality for those who like it but -2 for those who not.(A fire-breathing animation would be funny!) It is randomized 50/50 the first time a dupe eat it and keeps it until he/she is decapacitated(think loss of memory).

I always wondered why mushbars were from dirt and not algae. Algae sound more "edible". I think quality 1 might still be too good earlygame for something that just needs one resource that is available earlygame. I guess it`s a tradeoff with oxygen generation. I`m not sure.

The finite supply of Algae in my mind justifies a Q1 value.  But if their were ways to make algae renewably I would certainly lower the quality or require some water or other ingredient in the recipe.  I personally find the water consumption of Musher recipes to be so harsh as to make them useless, and I just skip the Musher entirely.

7 hours ago, Gwido said:

a use for muckroots

The description of muckroots mentions them being able to grow in direct sunlight. Maybe that could be implemented as well as a high tier recipie featuring them. Or alternatively muckroots could be more tasty when actually growing and not found underground.

Archived