I`m wondering what was the original idea for mercury usage in the game. I keep finding mercury in element filters, in material spredsheets and recently i saw it mentioned in one of the first trailers when i rewatched it (it was on one of the billion popups at the end of it). So it made me wonder about what was it supposed to be used for. I can`t think of anything other than changing gold back into amalgam that might be useful very late in the game.

Anyone has any ideas? Or maybe it was in the game in some very early builds way before i joined.

I've red the Mercury article on wikipedia and other than creating gold amalgam, it is used to create lights though it is not the primary element.

It is used to measure a lot of thing, even in thermo nuclear science.

And most importantly it is a really good heat conductor and produce alloys with pretty much every metal apart from iron. (And other than are not in the game).

So who knows !

Currently it has no uses or planned uses. There are several elements in the game which are the same, more recently though we have been getting more types of tiles etc added but not being "Active" yet so maybe we will see Mercury and helium make their way in

Since mercury is used in thermometers irl it'd make sense to use them in all the thermo sensors in game. Basically all sensor recipes should use mercury. Mercury would be a fairly interesting addition as in world generation would be as a fluid unless it'd be placed in a cold biome.

1 minute ago, Deshiba said:

Since mercury is used in thermometers irl

Not in every country. It has been forbidden in a lot of places because of it's toxicity. It remains in some batteries, hallogen lights and a few other industrial things.

At least France and USA has forbidden it in the casual thermometers.

2 hours ago, Christophlette said:

Not in every country. It has been forbidden in a lot of places because of it's toxicity. It remains in some batteries, hallogen lights and a few other industrial things.

At least France and USA has forbidden it in the casual thermometers.

IDEA : If you touch mercury you have 1 Cycle to cure the poisoning with 90% of continuing ( Adds extra cycle ) and 10% of stoping the poison , If you don't start healing then duplicants will start losing 500 health per cycle ( i know dups have only 100 ) so they will become incapacitated with the poison

13 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

I`m wondering what was the original idea for mercury usage in the game. I keep finding mercury in element filters, in material spredsheets and recently i saw it mentioned in one of the first trailers when i rewatched it (it was on one of the billion popups at the end of it). So it made me wonder about what was it supposed to be used for. I can`t think of anything other than changing gold back into amalgam that might be useful very late in the game.

Anyone has any ideas? Or maybe it was in the game in some very early builds way before i joined.

Mercury was never in any of the survival game builds since the game was originally released.  It's only been accessible in debug mode.  Some time ago, I did make a map mod that included it and I found that the Dupes pick it up with their guns like a solid and stuff the liquid mercury into storage compactors.  I found that rather amusing.

I suspect that mercury might have originally been intended as a way to transport heat in liquid form quickly.  The last I checked it had nearly the same thermal capacity of gold amalgam/wolframite  but has a thermal conductivity of 12.  Way higher then any other liquid in the game.  Back before radiant pipes/metal tiles/thermal shift plates, this would have been amazing stuff to use to shuffle heat around in liquid/pumpable form.  Combine with the ability to create tungsten normal pipe (Which they added during the Thermal Update..?) I think it would have worked fairly decently.

Natural Gas Generators now produce Mercury? Has anyone else seen this?

20180823183456_1.thumb.jpg.9eb316862121a43017d097b41b1d568a.jpg

EDIT:

Looking around my base, it appears that dripping liquid was incorrectly assigned while loading the save.

Dripping polluted water turned to mercury

Dripping water turned to polluted water

I'm too lazy to write a bug report though :p

Archived