The magma biome is just a huge reservoir of magma with neutronium in between. While it`s useful as a heat source it doesn`t serve much else and it`s quite boring, especially given the size of the thing. I don`t know if the devs have any plans for it but i got a few ideas to what it could be hiding.

First of all the biome needs to be passable. Instead of the neutronium layers there should be abyssalite or some other high melting mineral that allows you to traverse the biome as long as you cool it down a little bit. But with this possibility there needs to be risk. Some kind of lava surge, or high pressure magma breaking into the tunnels you try to make, maybe even high pressure magma trapped between rocks similar to oil in the oil biome.

Secondly there needs to be a reason to go there. Refined Neutronium. Chunks of that stuff could be found in the magma biome. A limited amount that requires you to dig through it but can greatly benefit you if you get enough, similar to how you can use tulecite in Don`t Starve. It would allow you to build structures that normally can`t be build like the AETN and more.

Finally there needs to be a deep magma laboratory. A ruins building surrounded by some sort of super insulator(maybe craftable at the lategame) so it stays at a reasonable 500oC. Analysing the lab would unlock buildings from refined neutronium. Maybe the lab should require to be cooled down as well.

It should be an extra thing you can do in the game for extra optimisation of your base but not something you need to do to as your final goal. An extra challenge with reasonable payoff.

18 hours ago, ImpalerWrG said:

the solid component though could easily be rock or diamond rather then abysalite.

or obsidian

i think they should add a thermal heaters, like the hydrogen cooler, but instead of cooling it heats up stuff

I've long been an advocate for Sulfur (seriously read my threads on acids), but I would argue that it goes in the Caustic Biome not Magma.  Sulfur would be a liquid at the temperatures in the Magma biome and that wouldn't make much sense or be very useful for gameplay.

We have refined carbon, sulfur, dupe solid waste from outhouse, dupe liquid waste from lavatories..............

YAY! FERMENT THE SOLID WASTE AND LIQUID WASTE TO GET SALTPETER AND MIX IT WITH CARBON AND SULFUR!!!11!111!!1! GUNPOWDER!!!

A few new ideas:

"Puzzle" traps. To get the refined neutronium you`ll need dig it out. But digging out the tile might be very risky. The tile might be the only thing blocking the entire room from being flooded by magma so you have to approach it carefully. Getting to the tile might require you to dig around and take a weird path and plan ahead. It would preety much be a preset rock formation that is hard to dig out without flooding everything with magma that is around it.

Lava slugs. Hostile creatures living in the superhot biome. They can get agressive and have a tendency to explode damaging nearby tiles. Might be a reason tu build bunker tiles outside the surface. They will gurad refined neutronium crystals so you have to find a way around them or risk a fight.

I agree that the magma biome should be passable, i.e. the Neutronium should either be mineable or be replaced with something else.

However, the tiles right at the bottom of the map should always remain to be a source of magma, i.e. it should be a sustainable source of heat and rock. Therefore, I believe it would be best if the tiles at the bottom of the map would act as a volcano.

3 hours ago, Tekky said:

However, the tiles right at the bottom of the map should always remain to be a source of magma, i.e. it should be a sustainable source of heat and rock. Therefore, I believe it would be best if the tiles at the bottom of the map would act as a volcano.

A while ago i had an idea (i don`t remeber if i actually posted it) that the very bottom of the map should be a special element called "the core". The core would have infinite mass, around 3500oC and emit liquid magma if the pressure around starts falling. The pressure it would create should be high enough to break though at least 2 layers of igneous rock. It would be the infinite heat source as well as something that guarantees there`s alwyas hot magma at the bottom of the map.

On 19.9.2018 at 3:55 PM, Tekky said:

I agree that the magma biome should be passable, i.e. the Neutronium should either be mineable or be replaced with something else.

Welp, I have even gone as far as removing all that bothersome Neutronium (before the meteors which were in a much less optimal fashion) but I am left wondering why so few like it (as in precisely a dozen actual subs) in comparison to whatever else I did dare to release. I am worried that such an underwhelming number might tell them, if they'd ever come across it, "Welp, we can keep the silly Neutronium and the Bottom can remain useless~".

Maybe I should couple it with having volcanoes spawn there (I wanted them as POI to begin with but could not spawn them in the oil biome) though atm I am trying to figure out how... luckily I have got a few methods I want to test already. In any event, I for sure would like to see the magma biome become useful and not a waste of everything (like the neutronium on the edges).

Another thing that I don't like about the magma biome is that a significant amount of magma is not even accessible to the player, due to it being completely surrounded by Neutronium.

This problem could easily be solved if Neutronium were replaced with a different material, such as Abyssalite or Diamond.

But, as I have already stated, the main thing I don't like is that the contents of the magma biome is not renewable. Just like the contents of the space biome is renewable (due to meteors), the contents of the magma biome should also be renewable, in my opinion. If the tiles at the bottom of the map spawned magma, this would give the player an infinite source of heat and igneous rock (which can be obtained by cooling magma).

New idea. Special ruins type building in the magma biome: Gravitas Nuclear Reactor.

The reactor is broken and half molten. It is responisble for the existence of the magma biome. It cannot be controlled but can be supplied with radioactive isotopes from space that will make it produce enough heat to keep all surrownding magma molten. In other words if you run out of hot magma put some fuel into it and run as it slowly heats up to 2k-3k temperatures and melts everything around itself.

I have suspected that the magma biome is exactly the da*n molten core area of the lab facility.

Just refer to what you can find in Chief’s desk on the surface reception office. It mentioned about the melting stuff.

Archived