Let's say I have 3 dupes, Dupe A (miner), Dupe B(gopher), Dupe C(Architect).

Now, somewhere on the edge of a map I need a tile built. What the dupes will do is, Dupe A digs the tile, Dupe B delivers the materials, and Dupe C builds the tile. This is fine near your base but it is a waste of time (like a quarter of a cycle) when it is somewhere far.

Is this a recognized issue that is being looked at, or at least being considered to be fixed or improved? Or do we just have to work around, or live, with it?

I hope Klei would allow us to micro-manage to some extent.

Any thoughts?

Having a dupe grab an exosuit to climb the tall ladder into space just to dig one single tile and then run all the way back down to base to store some mealwood in a container has led to a lot of rage from my end.

The only solution is to build doors between biomes to confine them to 'working areas' so they do more than just a single task. It's actually remarkable how much they can get done when confined this way, so the AI is clearly capable of working like an absolute machine when they're focused; But if you don't confine them their ADHD takes over which is a serious problem and something I truly hope Klei can correct in future updates.

As someone with ADHD I can relate though.  If I'm not confined to my office I'll run across the building to grab a pencil instead of the one beside me, or run past the sink to avoid washing my hands because Jim is currently using it and I can't stand still for more than a second. Dupe life is hard.

26 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

In the Priorities menu, put a checkbox in "Enable Proximity."  Then, when there are tasks that need to be completed, those that are closest to the dupe get priority.  Kinda. It does make a difference.

Dang it Kitten.  I had just wound down to go to bed and you stick this lovely tip right here!  30 minutes later since you posted that and I'd be asleep and have a lovely new toy in the morning!  Now I have to go fire up ONI and see this for myself!

Oh look at that.  It's RIGHT. THERE.  and I haven't seen it in … ARGH!

Thank you!  :D

13 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

In the Priorities menu, put a checkbox in "Enable Proximity."  Then, when there are tasks that need to be completed, those that are closest to the dupe get priority.  Kinda. It does make a difference.

Holy Crap! This exists?!?!

I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

EDIT:

I just saw it but haven't tried it (I need to be productive today so I had to quickly close ONI). I hope the devs makes it more visible.

On 11.8.2018 at 9:26 AM, DeuteriumCore said:

I hope Klei would allow us to micro-manage to some extent.

WTF?
There is still so many micro in "No micro not included".
A dupe, skilled as miner / architect for sure could still do that.
You need only a door to prevent access for other dupes and skillsz..

5 hours ago, Oozinator said:

WTF?
There is still so many micro in "No micro not included".
A dupe, skilled as miner / architect for sure could still do that.
You need only a door to prevent access for other dupes and skillsz..

Oh I'm sorry I'm not so pro as you are but I don't consider building a door so I could enclose my dupes so they would only do jobs in that area as good gameplay.

And what I meant by micro is like how you micro in RTS games not building doors everywhere.

not good game play? management that you ask for is available your just not using it. every door for a few updates has a dupe list so you can Micromanage who does what. you do not have any direct control over what the dupes do in Oni never have only strong recommendations. the games are 2 very different types of games with completely different control systems and ai. the game is about management and survival and your tools are independent from your direct control it why we have to design the stuff they build and hope they build it in order

it has nothing to do with being pro  your playing ONI not Starcraft

39 minutes ago, DeuteriumCore said:

Oh I'm sorry I'm not so pro as you are but I don't consider building a door so I could enclose my dupes so they would only do jobs in that area as good gameplay.

And what I meant by micro is like how you micro in RTS games not building doors everywhere.

TY but no reason  for me, to enter similar like the permanent running 4chan contest "who is most rude user".
I am always friendly and full of help, ask my grandma!
ONI has different playstyle.
Not click at - do that thing.
Dupes are silly and no, i don't see the need to add something like that in ONI.
(perhaps my exosuit engineer is to pro for that)..
exosuit.thumb.jpg.2364a3eea19abc3de3f29cb1d79c6ed7.jpg

6 hours ago, DeuteriumCore said:

Yucky. The entire reason I like ONI so much is that you can't RTS micro. 

If I want to micro a building game like this I'll load up Terraria. 

1 hour ago, beowulf2010 said:

The entire reason I like ONI so much is that you can't RTS micro.

At least you have a pause button. So if you micro stuff it`s more like FTL.

The end goal for many people is to make a colony that handles itself and you can just watch it work. Like SimCity just build the town and watch it grow. Then again the coolest thing (for me at least) is the crisis management when i suddenly make a mistake or don`t account for something and have to find a way to quickly fix the mess without anybody dying.

9 hours ago, Oozinator said:

TY but no reason  for me, to enter similar like the permanent running 4chan contest "who is most rude user".
I am always friendly and full of help, ask my grandma!
ONI has different playstyle.
Not click at - do that thing.
Dupes are silly and no, i don't see the need to add something like that in ONI.
(perhaps my exosuit engineer is to pro for that)..
exosuit.thumb.jpg.2364a3eea19abc3de3f29cb1d79c6ed7.jpg

From one of your comments you seemed like you wanted to enter a similar contest. Maybe I just misunderstood your tone. Apologies for that then.

3 hours ago, beowulf2010 said:

Yucky. The entire reason I like ONI so much is that you can't RTS micro. 

If I want to micro a building game like this I'll load up Terraria. 

I understand that but the dupes want to get micro-ed. Lol

Im struggling a lot with OP's issue not normally, but when you add an exosuit station...

Dupe A mines & takes suit. Dupe b begins supply task but all suits get reserved, dupe b drops item. Task b gets reset.

On long vacuum builds I always disable exosuits towards the end. Otherwise impossible to finish cabling etc.

Archived