Couple of newbie questions (water spilling, light wounds, schedules)

Hi all,

I'm kinda-still-new to ONI and was stumped at the following:

• One of my dupes (a miner) has light wounds. Is there a way to know where these are from? I made a quick unprotected visit to a nearby cold steam geyser before building the exo-suit setup, but that was like, 20 cycles ago. I have an unassigned med-bed, do I have to manually assign it to the dupe to heal him?
  • Water not spilling - what's up with this? I read that a pool of water can be stopped from spilling when it neighbours 2 different gasses, but (at least on the right), there's just chlorine. What gives?
    5b6b1eeb10d27_ScreenShot2018-08-08at18_42_58.thumb.png.a27c458a412f7d1222c29617dd169eae.pngsd
  • Regarding the night-owl and early-bird traits - what constitutes night/morning when schedules are involved? Does it make sense to shift schedules to dupes with these traits? (ignore the first slot in early-bird schedule).
    5b6b2025cbf86_ScreenShot2018-08-08at18_52_47.png.8e5edc3b4d7d034f7a4adb6f5b10a7a4.png

1  wounds usually come from fighting animals or from scalding (hot area like a geyser or overheated machines).  Cold doesn't cause wounds, just hypothermia. 

2. Check to see if you've got a tiny drop of clean water there blocking things. 

3.  I've never figured out how to read in game time. 

the light wound may have been the cold or hot extremes but you do need to assign them unless they fully received hyper/hypo~thermia that will auto them to the med bed.

there is a very small amount of water next to the pwater preventing it from moving. there is also a layer of water on that puddle as well. can tell from the color .

from what i know the traits give a bonus during the 3 box that time represents. that being the first and last 3

9 minutes ago, Soulwind said:

1  wounds usually come from fighting animals or from scalding (hot area like a geyser or overheated machines).  Cold doesn't cause wounds, just hypothermia. 

It was a cool steam geyser.  Those are definitely hot enough to hurt your dupes.  Also, I believe extreme cold causes frost bite, which reduces hitpoints.  It is a lot rarer than heat damage.

32 minutes ago, myxal said:

One of my dupes (a miner) has light wounds. Is there a way to know where these are from? I made a quick unprotected visit to a nearby cold steam geyser before building the exo-suit setup, but that was like, 20 cycles ago. I have an unassigned med-bed, do I have to manually assign it to the dupe to heal him?

I don't think there is a way to know, but I bet it was from the geyser.  Did you get a message that said "Scalding"?  If so, that's where it happened.  Yes, you need to manually assign the dupe to the med bed.  If you want to min-max it, you can assign him at night so he will recover health while he sleeps.  No one needs to treat the dupe for him to recover health.

33 minutes ago, myxal said:

Water not spilling - what's up with this? I read that a pool of water can be stopped from spilling when it neighbours 2 different gasses, but (at least on the right), there's just chlorine. What gives?

What you have here is an aspect of the model used in the game.  A tile can only have one element in it.  So, under you have polluted water.  Over, you have clean water.  If you look at the polluted water, you will probably see that there is less than a kg on each tile.  The graphics may make it look like there is a ton of polluted water, but it is only doing that because there is liquid above and to the sides, so the graphics thinks it is an underwater tile.  So what happened is that it did flow until it got to the point where it wouldn't flow anymore and is just a small puddle on the ground.  Then a puddle formed on top of the other puddle.  To remove, you can simply mop it.  It's not as much mass as it looks.

38 minutes ago, myxal said:

Regarding the night-owl and early-bird traits - what constitutes night/morning when schedules are involved? Does it make sense to shift schedules to dupes with these traits? (ignore the first slot in early-bird schedule).

I would say it makes sense to build a schedule that utilizes the benefit.  One day is 600 seconds and 24 blocks in the schedule.  Therefore, each block is 25 seconds.  Early bird offers its benefit for the first 100 seconds of the day, so that is the first 4 blocks on the schedule.  I would recommend having them work for that time even make them get up early to get to their job and be there for the full duration of the benefit.  So, with your style of schedule, I would set second to last block as "bath time", and the last tile as "work" and give them time to sleep before.  Another alternative is to have them up all night and have them go on break and sleep after the early bird benefit wears off.  I have no experience with night owls unfortunately.

37 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

To remove, you can simply mop it.  It's not as much mass as it looks.

Heh, I had the mop errands assigned from when the puddle was much bigger, and that area did have too much water to be mopped - the reason  I have the hole in wall on the right was to drain it all. You're right, each tile had ~150g of water, with the bulged corners actually having more at ~350g.

1 hour ago, Zarquan said:

Did you get a message that said "Scalding"?

Yeah I did, then it went away. I overlooked the "health" stat, as it isn't reflected in the HUD. I was expecting the warning (or some other warning, like "wounded duplicants") to be persistent until all the dupes are at 100HP. Or is non-full HP common later in the game?

Speaking of health, what recourse is there for incapacitated dupes? Is there a way for other dupe(s) to carry them to safety?

Oh, and one thing about exosuits - what happens to the CO2 that would normally be exhaled by the dupe?

• Game physics - does it just disappear (I noticed the "exhaling 0 CO2" stat on the dupe)?
  • Is it released as normal by the dupe?
  • Is it stored in the exosuit and released when the suit is returned to the dock?

11 minutes ago, myxal said:

Speaking of health, what recourse is there for incapacitated dupes? Is there a way for other dupe(s) to carry them to safety?

When Health drops to 0 they become incapacitated and can not move anymore. Another dupe needs to pick them up and carry to med bed).

11 minutes ago, myxal said:

Oh, and one thing about exosuits - what happens to the CO2 that would normally be exhaled by the dupe?

CO2 in exosuits does not exhaled anymore, it is deleted. It might work similar on Flatulence perk (not tested).

Even more bladder is constantly drained while in exosuits.

10 minutes ago, Scorpio King said:

Another dupe needs to pick them up and carry to med bed.

How does this work - do I need assign an errand (I couldn't sweep them... :lol:)? Which, if any, of the errand groups in the priorities table controls this? (The description for "care" implies activities after an incapacitated dupe is delivered to the med-bed) Or is it controlled by the med-bed priority?

I did sound the red alert when a dupe got incapacitated, but the others simply continued their work around the colony.

8 minutes ago, myxal said:

How does this work - do I need assign an errand (I couldn't sweep them... :lol:)? Which, if any, of the errand groups in the priorities table controls this? (The description for "care" implies activities after an incapacitated dupe is delivered to the med-bed) Or is it controlled by the med-bed priority?

I did sound the red alert when a dupe got incapacitated, but the others simply continued their work around the colony.

It never happened to me personally, but i do believe its tied to care, both can be prioritized. Game first checks how priority is set (L button screen, priorities) and then checks the med bed priority. But its hard to say, carrying dupe to med bed might be a supply job.

I cant say much on that regard, my dupes run in exosuits 24/7 (yes they sleep in one too) so i never had them incapacitated. And if someone dies i just reload the game. And fix the issue before it occurs. When you waste all that time to level up all jobs and you lose one dupe...no thanks.

1 hour ago, Scorpio King said:

CO2 in exosuits does not exhaled anymore, it is deleted. It might work similar on Flatulence perk (not tested).

The subject was brought up in the other thread, concerning the Flatulent trait itself.  The answer seems to be that Flatulent is not able to detect the presence of an Exosuit, so even when Dupes are wearing them they will still occasionally leave small puffs of NatGas wherever they happen to be.

1 minute ago, PhailRaptor said:

The subject was brought up in the other thread, concerning the Flatulent trait itself.  The answer seems to be that Flatulent is not able to detect the presence of an Exosuit, so even when Dupes are wearing them they will still occasionally leave small puffs of NatGas wherever they happen to be.

Good to know, im glad i avoided dupes with Flatulent, would ruin my vacuum setups.

Archived