Do you know how much it sucks when ONI conveniently switches building materials while constructing without asking you?

I am currently for the 300st time pissed that ONI switches materials without asking. I have built a pressure chamber to contain natural gas, and it is not supposed to have Dupe visitors inside. Now some pipe valves inside go sproing because the building material is iron. If I want my valves to be iron I would select iron, but I always set them to gold amalgam, guess why. I do exactly know who set them to be iron, and it was not me.

Can we change that game behavior to a visual warning that you are planning to build with materials that are not available at the moment, but keep the settings unchanged? I know when I run short of materials that my diggers have to dig, but what I plan is not to be affected by the present state of my storage. 

While we are at it, can the selected materials be stored in the save game please? It sucks that I have to check the selection all the time again.

This usually happens when you run out of building materials.

If you have 100 gold and you drag a wire for 10 tiles (10 metal each), you will allocate those 100 gold. 

If you then decide to drag the wire markup 1 tile further (without releasing the button), it will allocate another 10 gold for the next wire. Of course that gold wont be there, but oni will assume that you intend to construct those 11 wires, which you constructed with one sweep of the same material.

However, if you choose to release the button after draggin 10 wires and mark the 11th wire with a second click, the game will check on whether there is gold to allocate (it isnt) and choose a different metal to construct the wire with, which you have abundance of (the most).

While it can certainly be annoying to run into situations where your construction material is very relevant, the alternative might be even worse. Would you enjoy starting a base and being stuck in constructing tiles everytime you run out of granite, sandstone, etc? For many purposes they are pretty much interchangeable. It also might be quite frustrating for new players to be unable to construct tiles every few rooms they draw.

I know why it happens, and I usually pay attention to it. This time it likely happened because of loading a saved game. But it happens again and again even when paying close attention, and it could be totally avoided without anyone complaining. I prefer a "Building lacks resources" notification far more than an avoidable "Overheat Damage" or "Building Broken" because of a well meant but badly implemented user interface issue. 

As far as I know the game switch automaticaly material when you don't have enough material or when you reload your save.  And If you reload your game the default material is the always the one you have the most right?

But if you select one material to build something it will always stay on that material if your have enough of it.

47 minutes ago, NaSaltCl said:

As far as I know the game switch automaticaly material when you don't have enough material or when you reload your save.  And If you reload your game the default material is the always the one you have the most right?

But if you select one material to build something it will always stay on that material if your have enough of it.

This used to not happen. I noticed it happening in the Expressive Upgrade.

And if it did in fact happen before, it should be changed because it's super annoying - material used can have a major impact on base design so having it silently change is just poor design.

50 minutes ago, NaSaltCl said:

You don't need to explain that to me, as this is exactly what I complain about. I don't want anything to switch my materials automatically.

I would like to see different object textures to indicate the different building materials. I think I saw a mod that supports this, but it would be really nice if it was just built into the game. Having to hover over, or click on tiles to figure out what they are made out of is maddening. It sucks when you build a storage pool out of granite, but one block accidentally gets created with sandstone and it pops a massive leak.

I think the color differentiation is not so helpful in this case as you won't see the colors before being built, and with all that materials, color nuances would be hard to see. I find the current solution better that you can see the material written out in braces behind the building

13 hours ago, Scorpio King said:
  • Make save file remember last material used for each specific building. Even if we run out of materials do not auto switch to another type and keep on placing build ghosts.

Or even better make it toggleable. So that you can build important buildings from what you want and only from that but less important stuff (ladders) will automatically change material when it`s missing.

I would rather have the possibility to place buildings without having the resources needed, then have the system change the resources of choice every time i run low on something.

Examples:

Bad system: changes resources of choice if selected resource is low.

Good system: Lets you place buildings of any material already discovered, and will just put a marker on said building if the recourse needed to build it is missing.

IT'S A F*CKING EASY FIX. 

Archived