Food spoilage, refrigeration required now?

After the updates I am thoroughly confused by the current food spoilage rules... Does a non-germ environment in the rations box in CO2 work, or is cold required now? Anyone have info that is *current* anymore? MOst topics I see on this are 2017 or back in March 2018...

CO2 was still working 2 days ago. So I guess it works today ! Chlorine works too and kills any germs that can sneak on your food. But you can spend 120W (it's not much when you use any power other than wheels) on a refrigator to get an easy solution for food.

Cool, thanks for info, am about to set up food storage area and wanted to know before I committed to some solutions. Chlorine? Huh... never thought of that I am so used to thinking of it as deadly poisonous gas in real life...

On the fridge thing... I've always sorta wondered if Abyssilite would do anything interesting to it...

The food storage in CO2 will still show unrefirdgerated but as long as it`s in sterile atmosphere it won`t spoil. Stuff in the fridge will still spoil eventually but it takes a long time. I found a neat trick for earlygame to put one storage in CO2 and another close to the mess hall with a higher priority but low max capacity (around how much dupes eat per day) so that dupes deliver food there during work and don`t have to walk too far during breaktime.

For long term storage CO2 or Chlorine works just fine.  CO2 prevents any spoilage, but germs already present don't die very fast at all.  Chlorine preserves and kills off germs fast.

Early on I use some storage at the bottom of the base (in the CO2) for food reserves.  Later, I make a few storage containers in a chlorine environment and only store liceloaf in there.  That lets me not worry about food poisoning in my water supply (all my better food is cooked and only the liceloaf is coming out contaminated from the musher).  Usually by that point, I don't really make much loaf anymore anyway (just whatever extra comes out from the Drecko farm) but this way it doesn't go to waste.

4 hours ago, Soulwind said:

Early on I use some storage at the bottom of the base (in the CO2) for food reserves. 

I do the same, and I use half of it for mushroom-farming. Just make sure delivered slime cannot fall into the storage-part.

Archived