Insanity: Picture this...

At low level/medium level sanity, imagine something like this:If there are multiple chests near each other, every few minutes items inside will be randomly moved between the chests without the player being notified.While off screen, chests will move to a random nearby location close to their original location. When the player confronts the mischievous chest, it will slide back to it's normal spot.Every so often when opening a chest, every item slot will be replaced with beard hairs. When you attempt to remove it from the chest, it will revert to the item it replaced.At low level insanity, all tools randomly swap functions with another. Now my shovel cuts down trees, my hammer digs up turf, my pitchfork breaks rocks and my pickaxe shaves my face. If such things were to be implemented, the devs shouldn't tell us.

Well I'm not saying it would happen all the time. It'd have to be rare-ish as to avoid the players complete attention. Something that makes the player go "... I thought I... hmmm..." I don't want the chest disappearing very far, just like.. a half a tile or so away from where it was. Small things that make you glare at your screen is suspicion. Maybe only a couple items from nearby chests would be swapped around.

The tools shouldn't change function, they should change name and art. The ax won't dig holes, it'll look like a shovel and its description will be, "Breaks down Rocks like a boss." That way, players who pay attention won't be thrown by moving items.

So an axe might look like a shovel, but it will only function as an axe. That makes perfect sense to me. Now are you saying the description for the item stays the same (i.e. real description for that item)? That would seem odd, since what you're seeing isn't what you would be describing... and your description is based on what you are seeing. How about a generic response is given, something like: "This is my... wait... what's going on here?". That way players would know the item isn't what they see it to be, but they still wouldn't necessarily know what it really was until they tried it out or became sane again.

It's about change of perception, not change of location.

Location? I think you meant "function".

The tools shouldn't change function, they should change name and art. The ax won't dig holes, it'll look like a shovel and its description will be, "Breaks down Rocks like a boss." That way, players who pay attention won't be thrown by moving items.It's about change of perception, not change of location.

.. from the players perspective, theirs really no difference. x) Edited by SenuLawliet

Location? I think you meant "function".

If the item changed location in the inventory I mean location. If the function changed, the item would be different and that's not what I meant.What I mean is; the item doesn't move in the inventory but the player's perception has changed. Therefore, the logic of the code doesn't change and if the player ignores perception they can still be right.By change of location I'm referring to the moving items in chest idea from earlier in the thread.

If the item changed location in the inventory I mean location. If the function changed, the item would be different and that's not what I meant.What I mean is; the item doesn't move in the inventory but the player's perception has changed. Therefore, the logic of the code doesn't change and if the player ignores perception they can still be right.By change of location I'm referring to the moving items in chest idea from earlier in the thread.

Ah, okay. I just thought you were talking about using the shovel like an axe, and not allowing that even though it "looked" like an axe.

This will be very confusing.^^

Wait, isn't that the point? If you went insane and tried to chop down a tree with your axe... only to find it doesn't work because in actuality it's a shovel. However I think when the player tries to use it there should be a chance that after he tries, and fails, that the tool would become what it really is (i.e. a shovel). Otherwise the player can only rely on reading the tool's description to determine whether it really is what it is. Edited by mobius187
"Shop" down a tree... whose crazy now...?

Insanity is about your mind fighting you every step of the way. The only way to truly replicate this would be to have the game take the place of your mind. The game has to screw with you, confuse you, frustrate you. (But not TOO much, or the game might become unplayable). So we'll think of small things that will make you slam your face on your keyboard, but make you laugh at the same time. :)

I'm on the fence about this. It sounds great on paper but it may cause more annoyance than immersion or fun and can possibly kill you for a silly reason (can't find the chest with log armor etc)

Why not that you can have your character draw on papyrus?Edit: I think that I'm going insane right now, I thought that this was the charcoal pencil thing. :lol: (I'm tired) Edited by mr.serious