Geyser Distribution

I am a bit disappointed by my two geyser rolls in the last updates.

In Ranching MK II i rolled a map with a total of 4 (!) NG geysers. This was a pretty comfortable situation because i could provide most of my energy needs with NG generators. However i was only able to find one source of extra water (Cool Steam Vent), which came of very low efficiency.

Most of the time i had to struggle with my dwindling water resources, which could not be extended even with the polluted water coming from my NG generators and my petroleum generator.

I was never in a position to even consider using one of the 3 oil reservoirs on the map. The 2 carbon dioxide geysers were basically useless to me, unless directly vented into my slickster room and by the time i wasnt able to make good use of the hot polluted oxygen vent either.

At least it was fun to tinker around with the two copper volcanos, allowing me to do some experiments with steam turbines and even considering boiling oil to even more NG, which i didnt follow up on, because it seems too exploit-ish.

No source of chlorine (not saying i missed it in the current patch, but still). No source of iron, gold.

Bottom line: cool geyser layout, but too few water sources and maybe 2 copper volcanos could have been copper+gold or copper+iron instead. Exchanging one of the CO2 Geysers for something more useful would have been awesome.

Seed 1545274150

Copper Volcano: 2

Natural Gas Vent: 4

Hot Polluted Oxygen Vent: 1

Carbon Dioxide Geyser: 2

Cool Steam Vent: 1

Oil Reservoir: 3

Leaky Oil Fissure: 1

----

So starting a new base in the space update had me on high hopes for a better geyser roll. Especially in terms of water. And i got it.

After finding my first NG geyser, which was great for my power demands for the first 150 cycles. I found a total of 3 Steam vents (2 cold) and 4 water geysers.

In other words: water is not a problem on this map. I am literally drowning in it and am planing on draining most of it into my 3 (is this a constant value?) Oil reservoirs or even into space. Cooling it down for agriculture is quite a hassle, but that's just how the game works.

I even have a handy hydrogen vent (not that we need it, given electrolizers, but still helpful), a polluted water vent and another NG geyser. And - again - no source of chlorine (i am fine with it though).

HOWEVER there is not a single volcano on the entire map! While i have a source for iron now (sky), i would have loved to tinker around with geysers again, but for some reason it is completely luck-based and since i am not playing in sandbox (apart from the geyser counting for this thread), i will not know about the geyser rolls of my map until many hours into the match.

Seed 779097233

Cool Steam Vents: 2

Steam Vent: 1

Water Geyser: 4

Hydrogen Vent: 1

Natural Gas Geyser: 2

Polluted Water Vent: 1

Oil Reservoir: 3

Leaky Oil Fissure: 1

Conclusion:

It is nice to have completely different game based on the given geysers on the map (low water on one map, some other shortage on another). But it is not nice to be barred from certain aspects of the game completely, because of a missing resource. Therefore it would be more enjoyable to have several key aspects of geyser rolls that can be expected on every map: 

• water supply for x kg/s in 1-3 geysers, which can be located in several distances from the starting location
    • map 1: huge water supply right next to the printer 1000 g/s
    • map 2: small water supply next to printer 100 g/s, moderate water supply in further distance (reachable after hours of playing) with 400 g/s, strong water supply in far distance (late game) with 800 g/s
    • map 3: mix of 1 and 2, but with pw
    • while map 1 has the player sitting rather comfortably with a constant water supply from the start, map 2 has the player struggling for hours, until he finally achieves a manageable state. Point being: there is a water geyser in far distance.
  • at least 1 volcano on the map
  • if there is more than 1 volcano, it should be more likely to be for a different element
  • same goes for currently "useless" vents like CO2, chlorine, hydrogen: if more than 1, prefer different elements

Here's a list of what I wish to find on world seeds in the cosmic update

1: a slush geyser with at least 2kg average output.  Good as both a coolant for machines and as a water/dirt source

2: a water geyser (do I really need to list why? lol)

3: a volcano for building a boiler

4: a gold volcano, gold is good as a conducting material for radiant pipes, temp shift plates, and metal tiles (good decor rating too)

5: a chlorine vent for sanitizing germs and making bleach stones

6: additional polluted water or CO2 geysers are good too for extra water and dirt production

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

1: a slush geyser with at least 2kg average output.  Good as both a coolant for machines and as a water/dirt source

4: a gold volcano, gold is good as a conducting material for radiant pipes, temp shift plates, and metal tiles

6: additional polluted water or CO2 geysers are good too for extra water and dirt production

1-5 is also my goal

Have you found one for cosmic yet?

For my experience, chlorine vent is Extremely useful for killing germs.

Like, I just store and produce more then 5 million kcal of food with no worry of infection. Disinfecting slime biome is so much easier.

With ranching upgrade, bleach stone become limitless with it. It is solution for both hygiene and some food.

If there wasn't i need to boil water or freeze air using heavy machinery which easily consumes several KWs.

Well, be this as it may. I have nothing against a chlorine geyser on every map. My point is that there should be a stable source of water on all maps. Not a pure cointoss on whether you are drowning in ~50kg/s water or thirsting with 50g/s water.

• 2 Cool Steam Vents
  • 3 Natural Gas Geysers
  • Gold Volcano
  • Magma Volcano
  • Water Geyser
  • POxygen Vent
  • Hot Steam Vent

POxygen near a Printer. Easy way to create Oxygen and Coal. Regolith->Air Deodorizer, Clay->Hatches.

• 3 Cool Steam Vents
  • Natural Gas Geyser
  • Chlorine Vent
  • Hot Steam Vent
  • Water Geyser
  • Hydrogen Vent
  • Polluted Water Vent
  • Gold Volcano
  • Iron Volcano

On 6/10/2018 at 10:30 AM, Neotuck said:

4: a gold volcano, gold is good as a conducting material for radiant pipes, temp shift plates, and metal tiles (good decor rating too)

@Neotuck have you found this seed yet? For me I would swap your #2 water geyser with a polluted water geyser as I like using the cooler water.  I totally do not want to start a new Cosmic base until someone posts a great seed as I would be so unhappy if I spent hours building up a base and then finding out the geyser selection was stinky.  I LOVED my latest ranching II seed, it had two cool steam and one polluted water within one biome of start another polluted water just a biome away, one dismal slush right next to start, one NG, one chlorine almost in the start and one iron.   One AETN was pretty close too.  Two oil reservoirs. Downside was almost no slicksters, and not many wheezeworts at all.  I tried starting it up in Cosmic and nothing was the same at all, completely different looking seed.

Just now, Neotuck said:

just remember those emit food poisoning germs too 

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I never even pay attention to food poisoning germs.  Unless the start biome is seriously thin on food, I never use microbe musher, I go straight for a small mealwood farm converting as fast as I can get the research done to blossom and then as soon as I can crack the slime safely (ie have vitamins and hand sanitizers) I set up a mushroom farm.  The only time my dupes get sick is if I am not paying close enough attention to how long they are working in slime in early game.  Vitamins do make a big difference I think between the dupe actually getting ill and just having the germs.

Ive been playing this so long i just roll with whatever geysers i get its still way better then the days before geyzers. So far in my current base ive been running the base completely off of what i get from NGGs and toilets.

@Neotuck  hopefully Terrible_Maintenance will be okay with me sharing this, I do not want to claim his/her work as my own, he/she lists several seeds that may work for your list.  Its from Reddit.  I was so happy to find this as it gave me two seeds to try out for the new Cosmic update that came close to matching my wish list.

Terrible_Maintenance 5 points 4 days ago* 

Here's a(n updating) list (until I find one I like). CU-272331.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1btD6cwptpPMBRsvY4H9ufaRZ7bo3d5GqWm_cyLf4qEw/edit?usp=sharing

Note: All data are pre-analyzed.

Ridiculous map: 1380665115 has 4 water sources and 3(!) cool slush geysers. Good for a high pop base since the rest of the geysers can be harnessed for power.

Edit: There's been two patches since I posted this that affects geyser output. Type and position didn't change.

Archived