About logging - FPS in Preview and the logic behind it

Ok we get early preview to test things out, to give feedback about it, when i am right?
When player start new base with preview and he comes to the point, where FPS drop makes game unplayable, gives it not a bad gaming experience?
Player could go back to stable branch and play, but when world gen is impacted by update, new base must be started then.
Stop playing ONI then, till update is realeased?
That feels like a bad move for me.

Logging seems important for bugtracking, but should the preview not be playable too?
Building stuff in debug is completely different from survival experience and sometimes it shows not all aspects of updates.
How should a survival player give feedback for high tier stuff, he couldn't never build, because of bad FPS?

I am again at a point, where i stopped playing ONI, waiting for stable branch and i really would like to play it..
Again waiting a week.
Perhaps there should be an option to deactivate logging in preview?
I am playing some other alphas too and that "special" feeling i get only with ONI.
Feels a bit frustrating, much more when i know, i don't need update content.

"When player start new base with preview and he comes to the point, where FPS drop makes game unplayable, gives it not a bad gaming experience?"

Not sure how easy it is to improve the logging system.

"but when world gen is impacted by update, new base must be started then"

The price we pay for early access.

4 hours ago, TehPlayer14 said:

That's why I push the importance of multicore

Thats no solving the problem. My Quadcore is 50% idle with ONI current alpha running, but still lags as hell at a certain point. I would point at the engine itself going into problems. The CPU is not the bottleneck here.

And when i read from people, running octocores with 1080 GTX, SSD and 32GB of RAM, then it wont be a hardware related problem at all. 

12 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

Thats no solving the problem. My Quadcore is 50% idle with ONI current alpha running, but still lags as hell at a certain point. I would point at the engine itself going into problems. The CPU is not the bottleneck here.

And when i read from people, running octocores with 1080 GTX, SSD and 32GB of RAM, then it wont be a hardware related problem at all. 

I meant that because of engine not using multiple cpu cores

Are they running at 100%. Not ? Running the 4 Cores maybe at 25% ? Calculate itself. 4x25 = 1 Core at 100%. Through Hyper-Threading, all Cores will be used, but the game itself doesn't have a multi threading support. If it were so, all Cores will be used up to 100%!

BTT:

I wish me an option to disable the logging too! If I find an bug, I report it manually. But testing a preview branch is a mess in lategame situations. We have an option for the data protection, but if i disable it, the logging is still active. Make it sense ? I think not. Because u don't get the collected data. And I don't believe many of the testers play till the endgame stuff, because it's horrible to play. I personally called the preview branches: "Waitgame Dreams"! Wait to the Death. I go to bed and leave the PC running with ONI for 8 Hours.

I have a quadcore hyperthreading processor, and ONI seems to be using all 8 virtual cores. I restricted the affinity to only one core and cpu usage dropped to 12%, changed it back to 8 and cpu usage rose back to 19%. That seems to imply it's multithreading.

As far as I am aware the game still runs on a single thread, and I definently wish it used more, My old 4 core used so little CPU The game would go so nicely if it used more.

Also the logging is nice, its a good idea, but if we cannot run a base for too long the are only gonna get information for the early to mid of the games life.

On 11.6.2018 at 1:03 PM, BlueLance said:

...Also the logging is nice, its a good idea, but if we cannot run a base for too long the are only gonna get information for the early to mid of the games life.

That's what i am talking in bad english about.
 ^^

Archived